British Speedway Forum

Interesting comment about the new stadium.

This story was from 20 March and claims "Work on the state-of-the-art venue will commence within the next 10 weeks". That was four months ago.

This article from 25 June suggests that documents still need to be submitted to the council before work can start.

No documents related to the stadium have been submitted to the council since February this year.

This story was from 20 March and claims "Work on the state-of-the-art venue will commence within the next 10 weeks". That was four months ago.

This article from 25 June suggests that documents still need to be submitted to the council before work can start.

No documents related to the stadium have been submitted to the council since February this year.

Me mate's doing his nut, he's waiting to start work on it. Every day on way to work I drive past expecting to see a wheelbarrow or JCB or something...nothing yet!! Something to do with noise barrier to be approved by Swindon Council holding it up.

Edited by haydon hat

Me mate's doing his nut, he's waiting to start work on it. Every day I drive past expecting to see a wheelbarrow or JCB or something...nothing yet!! Something to do with noise barrier to be approved by Swindon Council holding it up.

Your mate need to go to Wickes and ask for a "long weight" as that's what he's in for.

• Like 1

The local MP tells us that the work starts at the end of july :shock: ...any news of the date of the farewell meeting and the list of riders taking part ?

The local MP tells us that the work starts at the end of july :shock: ...any news of the date of the farewell meeting and the list of riders taking part ?

As a Reading fan, forgive me for mentioning Deja Vu... in an extremely cynical manner.

• Like 1

As a Reading fan, forgive me for mentioning Deja Vu... in an extremely cynical manner.

Drive past the old stadium every month, sad to see the derelict site now, made a few visits to watch The Robins at Smallmead. They still have "stadium" on road sign!

Drive past the old stadium every month, sad to see the derelict site now, made a few visits to watch The Robins at Smallmead. They still have "stadium" on road sign!

We were told in 2007 that the new stadium would be built next to the existing stadium, we could watch it go up and move into it albeit unfinished in July 08.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this similar to what is supposed to be happening at Blunsdon?

We were told in 2007 that the new stadium would be built next to the existing stadium, we could watch it go up and move into it albeit unfinished in July 08.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this similar to what is supposed to be happening at Blunsdon?

Dunno matey...think it will happen but fans getting edgy with the delay I suppose.

• Like 1

Went to Blunsden before Cardiff, & have to say the developers haven't had any planning problems with the houses, there was loads built. Couldn't work out where the new stadium & car park were being built.

Went to Blunsden before Cardiff, & have to say the developers haven't had any planning problems with the houses, there was loads built. Couldn't work out where the new stadium & car park were being built.

In car park at right-angle to current stadium about 50 yards away (between bends 1/2 where admission gates are situated). Houses now up to pits, away changing rooms were moved.

Edited by haydon hat

Yet again developers running council & politicians ragged on this & the houses continue to go up!!!.

• Like 1

Was chatting to one of the Robins main sponsors today, was concerned about the fixture list, only 1 home match in June, then 4 matches in 5 days in both July and August. Need more regular home meetings. Crowd of around 1800 against Poole last week, includes about 400 sponsors, guests, season-ticket holders, freeloaders. Even though it was tenner the poor weather and Sky cameras reduced the gate.Seems apart from the Poole clashes crowds are rarely above 1400, mostly around 1200. 17 quid is too much. Hundreds of fans stopped going when Leigh Adams said farewell. They used to take 5 coachloads to the Cardiff GP when he was in it, now only 1 coach.Preferred the old 18/19 club format with only one home clash per opponent, or north-south league. Don't think most fans want to see teams such as Wolves, Lakeside, Leicester twice a year.Hopefully with Wardy riding now and new stadia on way with excellent facilties interest and attendances will increase up at Blunsdon.Both agreed Belle Vue best team at The Abbey so far this year.

Interesting post Haydon, 17 pound is to much also people who only have one meeting a month to go to easily get out of the habit of going.I thought last week for the Ward return the gate was not great and only a tenner a head i quew up everyweek how many freebies get through the gate? to many.

Yet again developers running council & politicians ragged on this & the houses continue to go up!!!.

A bit of a concern. With no building having started yet, if there is a delay will the Robins be able to stay in this stadium for longer?

The build should have started but as mentioned there is a noise barrier delay. If the Council are involved we have to be careful as they only have two speeds of working, slow and stop. Swindon like many councils are absolutely hopeless.

• Like 1