British Speedway Forum
Stats

Australian Gp Is Back

NOT allowed ... BSI pay all their expenses, fares, accommodation, freight, etc., so they cannot ride elsewhere

Fare enough, but a bit short sighted.

Fare enough, but a bit short sighted.

PROBABLY depends where you are sitting. Under-21 World Team Cup Final at Mildura week after SGP (Oct 31).

NOT allowed ... BSI pay all their expenses, fares, accommodation, freight, etc., so they cannot ride elsewhere

Within what period of time?Or do say Aussie riders who want to do some meetings over the Aussie season have to send there bikes and themselves back to Europe and then send everything back out again?I can understand the thinking,but if one or two riders wanted to do a bit down under,maybe even NZ then i guess they have to cough up a percentage of the expense.....

I remember Carl Fogarty winning his first World Superbike title in Australia, in the last race of the season..

I've no problem with the last race being there...Melbourne is a great sporting city, I've been to the Etiihad and its a great stadium and the pricing for tickets looks really good...they could turn this into a fantastic spectacle to crown a World Champ and the whole stadium and city and the whole package can only be beneficial to speedway as a knock on down the line.

I think with that pricing and with lots of local advertising then they can get a crowd that will at least look good on TV and anything that LOOKS as if it's popular on TV always has a chance of creating new fans..

As for the GP's impact on British speedway...I don't think they have had a major impact at all....when my brother in law rode in Britain nobody rode in the Polish League and very few in the Swedish League...everybody rode in the British League...the Polish League was just opening itself up to the world and started paying silly money and riders started to go....the foreign leagues have grown incredibly since and it's those leagues that have stopped riders riding here.....if it was just the GP's on some Saturday's then I think all of them would be riding in England....but it's not , it's the GP's, the Polish League, the Swedish League....plenty of money to be made and unfortunately Britain suffers, but that's more due to the growth of the other leagues than the GP's which remain a great advert for the sport.

• Like 3

Within what period of time?Or do say Aussie riders who want to do some meetings over the Aussie season have to send there bikes and themselves back to Europe and then send everything back out again?I can understand the thinking,but if one or two riders wanted to do a bit down under,maybe even NZ then i guess they have to cough up a percentage of the expense.....

NO doubt the Aussie riders will come to an agreement ... would guess that they would actually want their GP bikes to be flown back to Europe.

I remember Carl Fogarty winning his first World Superbike title in Australia, in the last race of the season..

I've no problem with the last race being there...Melbourne is a great sporting city, I've been to the Etiihad and its a great stadium and the pricing for tickets looks really good...they could turn this into a fantastic spectacle to crown a World Champ and the whole stadium and city and the whole package can only be beneficial to speedway as a knock on down the line.

I think with that pricing and with lots of local advertising then they can get a crowd that will at least look good on TV and anything that LOOKS as if it's popular on TV always has a chance of creating new fans..

As for the GP's impact on British speedway...I don't think they have had a major impact at all....when my brother in law rode in Britain nobody rode in the Polish League and very few in the Swedish League...everybody rode in the British League...the Polish League was just opening itself up to the world and started paying silly money and riders started to go....the foreign leagues have grown incredibly since and it's those leagues that have stopped riders riding here.....if it was just the GP's on some Saturday's then I think all of them would be riding in England....but it's not , it's the GP's, the Polish League, the Swedish League....plenty of money to be made and unfortunately Britain suffers, but that's more due to the growth of the other leagues than the GP's which remain a great advert for the sport.

GOOD post...

why couldn't the riders accept the contribution from BSI for the appropriate expenses and travel accomodation etc and then if the riders do stay on they do so at their own expense. after all some Aussie riders may decide to stay down there anyway and thsi means they get their return fare paid - even though in some circumstances as part of their work permit being approved they would have to have had the return porton in the first place.

Next year's SGP calendar is quite odd, with some GPs on consecutive weekends, and three or even four week breaks between others. Surely the EL promoters can work around that to ensure there is a proper timetable.

I can't believe that you're seriously saying this. There are at best 28 weekends during the British speedway season, so 13-14 SGP and SWC dates take out half of those.

Just how are BEL promoters supposed to fit a full league programme around this, even before you consider that 3-4 week gaps between league matches would be commercial suicide?

THINK they will do okay first year (Etihad reporting over 4,000 tickets sold already)

I thought you said the tickets were selling well? The event is barely a month away.

I thought you said the tickets were selling well? The event is barely a month away.

Well the post you are quoting is almost a year old.

• Like 2

Cant wait for this , weather here in Melbourne has started heating up a bit lately so in a month or so it should be decent enough.

Any BSF forum members heading over to The worlds best city for it?

Cant wait for this , weather here in Melbourne has started heating up a bit lately so in a month or so it should be decent enough.

Nope. :nono: :nono: :nono:

Yup, can't wait! Fairly short and sweet trip for me but got a few things lined up and heard a lot of good things about Melbourne, just hoping Tai still needs a point to win the world title....

Yup, can't wait! Fairly short and sweet trip for me but got a few things lined up and heard a lot of good things about Melbourne, just hoping Tai still needs a point to win the world title....

You are joking.

I hope and expect that it is all over by then.

Well I suppose we know there will be at least 4,000 there... ;)

IN touch with the Etihad guys daily now, doing the programme. They are very happy with ticket sales so far. In excess of 17,000 I believe. They say that many people in Melbourne will come along regardless of whether they know anything about speedway because it is at the Etihad. And that there will be a large walk-up on the day because it is not essential to pre-purchase.

Used to say that about Wembley.

MELBOURNE is a great place ... tour of the MCG is a must whether or not you are a cricket fan.

• Like 1