British Speedway Forum
Stats

Australian Gp Is Back

What ever happened to Malaysia?

It is still there,although a bit hard to see through the haze,so I am told

• Like 1

What ever happened to Malaysia?

The scheme in Malaysia that Mauger ran was supported by the government of the day to keep the youngsters off the streets and out of trouble. (It mainly used mopeds and small such bikes stripped down, with just a few pukka bikes and displays of what we know as broadsiding speedway.)

When the government changed the new administration weren't interested and the scheme collapsed.

Despite Tai winning the title, I think the people in Melbourne will put on a show and get, at the least, a break-even attendance.

Giving them a platform to build next year's event on, maybe with one of the Aussies still in contention for the title.

If Cardiff was the last GP of the season, and the World Champ had been effectively crowned at the GP before - would I still go??

Of course I would.

And I would expect the newly crowned world champ to put on a good display 1) because he wants to assert his authority as world champ 2) because he would be so relaxed that it would probably bring the best out of him.

Speedway fans will still go, even if just to see the best riders in the world strut their stuff. Tricky bit will be to get non speedway people to go. Torun was a great gp, and now the pressure is off maybe the riders will turn it on in Melbourne. A great promotion for speedway in Australia. What would top it off would be an Aussie rider winning it.

Speedway fans will still go, even if just to see the best riders in the world strut their stuff. Tricky bit will be to get non speedway people to go. Torun was a great gp, and now the pressure is off maybe the riders will turn it on in Melbourne. A great promotion for speedway in Australia. What would top it off would be an Aussie rider winning it.

In 2002 they had Crump, Adams, Sullivan and Wiltshire, all in their prime, and in a city with a speedway heritage and a superb venue but the attendance was dire. The fact that Rickardsson was champion the round before wouldn't have helped, a situation that has been repeated this year

• Like 1

In 2002 they had Crump, Adams, Sullivan and Wiltshire, all in their prime, and in a city with a speedway heritage and a superb venue but the attendance was dire. The fact that Rickardsson was champion the round before wouldn't have helped, a situation that has been repeated this year

And Crumpy got second. I understand crowd was about 32 000. Of course lots has changed since then, but what do you think the attendance would need to be to keep everyone happy. Around about the same would be good, and more would be fantastic. That number would put us only behind Cardiff, Warsaw and Stockholm. If Aussie wasn't that far away 32000 would be plenty.

How many paid though?

DON'T think David Lander was in the business of giving too many tickets away. Costs for that meeting were astronomical ... hiring of the Olympic Stadium (as it was originally known), flying 20 riders plus equipment from Europe, hotels, etc, etc.

I didn't realise until I got there that (like Wembley/London) the stadium was a long way out of town, it was an unseasonably cold night and the meeting was live on TV.

Lander did a lot right but unfortunately rapidly fell out with John Postlethwaite and insead of being able to build on the first one, and perhaps take it to a smaller stadium in Sydney the following year, he pulled the plug.

And Crumpy got second. I understand crowd was about 32 000. Of course lots has changed since then, but what do you think the attendance would need to be to keep everyone happy. Around about the same would be good, and more would be fantastic. That number would put us only behind Cardiff, Warsaw and Stockholm. If Aussie wasn't that far away 32000 would be plenty.

The crowd was indeed 32,000 but, as Humphrey alluded to, lots of those were near giveaways near, and on, the day. That said they were already looking at 50,000 plus to break even so I think Lander rather got his fingers burned on that one

Actually it's going to start at 08.15am

No check the link, that website takes summer/winter times into account so:

Saturday 24 October 2015, 19:15:00 AEDT UTC+11 hours in Melbourne (Australia - Victoria) --> Saturday 24 October 2015, 09:15:00 BST UTC+1 hour in London (United Kingdom - England)

Edited by Ghostwalker

I think and very much hope Melbourne is a mega success.

ONLY worry is that all the medal positions and top 8 are pretty much sewn up.