British Speedway Forum
magnus

Bspa Meeting...

Without intending to be offensive, you sir are one of the primary problems the sport faces. It might need to die.. along with fans with this attitude, then start again almost from scratch with a fresh, vibrant fan base.

i'm not offended i just want the sport to be credible - i don't want to be embarrased by mega bonus double pointers, jokers, etc, etc

i agree promotion at a local level is generally abysmal and that needs to be addressed

i also agree with the start again from scratch comment but i suspect what i have in mind isn't what you have in mind

as far as i'm concerned semi pro with mainly British riders is the way forward - riders people can identify with

• Like 4

The BPSA have not got the brains to ask the Bekhams lad along to try out a bike. What a chance this is for speedway and one not to be sneezed at.

You would have every nespaper and tv station there, to show off little bekhams riding skills on a speedway bike.

Then when he makes it as a FTR the same would happen again.

Just hope that they are not to slow on the uptake to get some free advertising for this countries dying on its feet speedway.

Until the sport is run by a totally independent governing body it will die a slow lingering decline, no question. Will it ever happen no. Until the sport dies back to grass root level and re-invents itself we will all have to endure infighting and financial suicide. Our only answer is to vote with our feet until the message hits home where it hurts in the pocket.

Although not arguing with the need for this, it should be pointed out that from 1928 until 1964 speedway WAS ruled by an Independent body - The Speedway Control Board - but everyone (promoters, riders and supporters) wanted to change that!

Although not arguing with the need for this, it should be pointed out that from 1928 until 1964 speedway WAS ruled by an Independent body - The Speedway Control Board - but everyone (promoters, riders and supporters) wanted to change that!

The operative word there is 'ruled'.

Now it's just a free for all among the Promoters, or at least, that's how it seems to me. :sad: :sad: :sad:

Such is progress. :sad: :sad:

Things I would like to see

1 get rid of the double point rule

2 tape touch automatic 15 metre handicap, no replacement rider from the tapes.

3 false start straight round to the start again, if you go off the track you dont come back on again.

4 bring back the rakers

5 card system maintained throughout the season to riders who try to jump the start or lay down on the track, get to a certain number of points and you are suspended for a week or longer and twice in one meeting and you are out of the meeting. Not allowed to replace the rider for the rest of his rides.

6 better prepared tracks all over the country.

• Like 5

The BPSA have not got the brains to ask the Bekhams lad along to try out a bike. What a chance this is for speedway and one not to be sneezed at.

You would have every nespaper and tv station there, to show off little bekhams riding skills on a speedway bike.

Then when he makes it as a FTR the same would happen again.

Just hope that they are not to slow on the uptake to get some free advertising for this countries dying on its feet speedway.

Do you seriously believe what you have written here ?

What world are you living in if you think someone like him would do anything without big bucks exchanging hands. Not something speedway in this country can afford.

A famous-ish name did a pretty minor bit of PR at my place of work within the Nhs a few weeks back and commanded a disgusting figure around the 30k mark for doing sweet fa for no time at all, let alone chucking himself around a speedway track..

Holy shizzle..i'm lost for words.

Some of you seem to of missed the point here. The reason behind this is in the first line "beckham child WANTS to ride a motorbike " the bspa offers and pays for him to have to have a go at a ride and skid day of whixh every kid with an interest in motorbikes would jump at the chance. He isnt there as a PR stunt, he is there for his own fun but by its nature every paper in the world would be on to this. .Victoria bless her thinks motorbikes are dangerous so even more reason why a teenager would want a go. Of course he could just say no but it hasnt cost anything to ask and sometimes if you dont ask you dont get.. The fact that i had to explain this says volumes about the way the sport is run

• Like 6

So that's your plan!

Get a famous footballer to let his kid ride a speedway bike at one of out rubbish tips and a new Golden Age will magically appear.

His girlfriend is probably more associated with bikes and more people know who she is.

What next get Winona Ryder to manage Poole Pirates?

The sport has a mountain of real problems to climb and needs to start now to address them.

We will see soon enough whether anyone sane remains in charge.

Guy Martin was riding flat track at Rye House on Sunday. Pity someone didn't tip off the media!

unfortunatly with money getting tighter within speedway the promoters are getting less and less open to fresh ideas unless they can see an instant windfall and thats understandable i suppose but it dosent benifit speedways future ,the rules of the sport have to be decided by someone or a group who have no finacial intrest in any team because as impartial as the promoters claim to be they will never go for a rule which impacts their team no matter how benificial it is to the sport , its a promoters job to promote his team and get the best for his team but it just dosent sit right with anybody when he needs to slightly bend the rules and he is part of the rule making team because obviously he will get away with it and that shouldnt be, but then look at the other side of the coin ,if you were a promoter and it was your money/living at stake would you want to pay an independant body to dictate to you how you should run your buisness , i do feel slightly for the promters but for the future credility of the sport an independant body has got to be the way to go

Top post. But far too sensible for speedway.

So that's your plan!

Get a famous footballer to let his kid ride a speedway bike at one of out rubbish tips and a new Golden Age will magically appear.

His girlfriend is probably more associated with bikes and more people know who she is.

What next get Winona Ryder to manage Poole Pirates?

The sport has a mountain of real problems to climb and needs to start now to address them.

We will see soon enough whether anyone sane remains in charge.

feel free to browse any of my other post where there is more than enough ideas but in the meantime apply for the bspa chairmans job ,you are fully qualified for it

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE

feel free to browse any of my other post where there is more than enough ideas but in the meantime apply for the bspa chairmans job ,you are fully qualified for it

I dunno your idiot reply makes you rather fit in with that lot. :)

I can invite you to a great many posts here I myself made with ideas for helping speedway.

But then rather a lot of people here fall into that category. Or do you think you are the only one here who can be serious.

Lighten up and stop thinking the posts here must always be serious and po faced.

It's speedway after all and without a sense of humour and cynical irony one would go mental in a place like this. :)

What ever means that there is to see any sort of publisity that could help to promote speedway should be taken.

Even if it costs the BPSA a few quid to let young Beckham ride at a slid and skid day, what have they got to lose if all the major nespapers are there to cover it and the TV. Don't miss out on a chance to let the public at large see that there is still speedway going on in the UK, because I personally feel that there is many people out there that don't even know that what once was a major attraction to many people is now only attended by a few die hard fans that get fewer by the year.

So yes give the lad a shot at it, get the press there and put it in evet paper and all the TV screens, so folks can see that we are alive and kicking, just about.

It is no use going down the long road we are going down now, that in around 10 years time there will be no one left to go and see speedway any longer.

I can remember every meeting at Long Eaton speedway when there was poster splashed all across the stadium telling you about the next meeting and all around the town. How many clubs now have even used a poster to let people know about a meeting.

It was only 3 years ago when trawling the internet that I found that speedway was again running at Leicester, how many people are there who don't do that.

We are now nothing but a minor sport that has lost its way.

The BPSA has failed to find a new sponser this year, they can not stand to lose the money they have lost from Sky now not sponsering our sport.

So yes put the lad on a bike and show folks that we have not died and lets hope that we can once again get British speedway as it once was the top of the tree in the sport.

Because the way we are going now speedway is dyeing on its feet. The glory days have gone and now we are the bottom of the pile. We can see this as we are losing teams every year because they can't make it pay any longer. It is time for some radical changes to be made to save speedway in this country.

• Like 1