British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CaptainAudi

Edinburgh 2015.

If cookies happy then why not, I dont want the pl to loose best riders to poland but at same time id love to see him do it and go further in sport. we can only dream of a no1 of his calibre choosing to ride for us each year, people on here will say he lacks ambition if he stays at armadale but I dont think so just monarchs are lucky to have a out and out no1 who wants to ride for them...he is a steal on 9.3

The big question is, should the top 8 riders in the PL be there at all, or should any rider ovet a 9 point ave. be in the EL only.

• Like 1

Superstars should of course be allowed in the PL.

They draw people in to watch and set a benchmark for others to try to reach.

Certainly shouldn't be forced into the EL - a shambolic place where you stand a fair chance of not getting paid.

• Like 3

Certainly shouldn't be forced into the EL - a shambolic place where you stand a fair chance of not getting paid.

That's the real problem isn't it? If the sport was properly organised, good riders would move up full time. But the crucial thing is that you must earn more in the Elite League than you do in the Premier. It would be completely unfair otherwise, and although points money will usually be higher in the EL, the sporadic fixtures make it hard to ensure that it is worth anyone's while to move up.

I can't stand doubling up, every team should have its own riders, but we have got ourselves into this unholy mess and it's hard to see a way out.

• Like 3

Don't have a problem with a 9 pointer being in the PL, but they should not be in the EL aswell

Not a fan of the EL then? :lol:

It used to be good.

But it was "Elite" then!!

(Though in fairness my abiding memory at Ippo was there were very frequently 2 races per heat - heat leaders up front battling it out followed a quarter of a lap later by a pair of second strings. It seemed to be more watchable at Peterborough.)

Should get some abuse for this!!

Edited by TheScotsman

If cookies happy then why not, I dont want the pl to loose best riders to poland but at same time id love to see him do it and go further in sport. we can only dream of a no1 of his calibre choosing to ride for us each year, people on here will say he lacks ambition if he stays at armadale but I dont think so just monarchs are lucky to have a out and out no1 who wants to ride for them...he is a steal on 9.3

Will probably get shot to pieces for this.

It doesn't bother me either way if Cookie rides in the Premier league or not (The Bandit's will get less stick on twitter if Craig isn't in the league). :lol:

Last winter a rider who I think was alongside Craig as the 2 best riders in the Premier league failed to get a work permit and was forced to alter their plans ahead of this season (no Premier league) and he is in the Grand Prix series for 2015. :drink::t:

• Like 1

I want to see the best riders possible ride in PL,but for the credibility of the sport they should only rode for 1 Team in one Country.

There are 2 very good reasons why say GP riders don't ride in the PL. One is financial, but the other is who in their right mind wants to see someone say lap a decent rider. Keep the top riders(9 ad over) in the top league.

A 9 point rider has on average dropped 3 points in a meeting, or 4 assuming he does heat 15s.

So why is he then likely to be lapping other PL riders?

I don't remember any FTR riders being lapped by EL second strings this year and there was a big skill gap down to the most wobbly of FTRs.

I'm not suggesting gp riders should be in the PL, but I see No problem with the likes of Cook, Stead, King etc being there. The biggest problem is them doubling up and fixture conflicts.

That's the real problem isn't it? If the sport was properly organised, good riders would move up full time. But the crucial thing is that you must earn more in the Elite League than you do in the Premier. It would be completely unfair otherwise, and although points money will usually be higher in the EL, the sporadic fixtures make it hard to ensure that it is worth anyone's while to move up.

I can't stand doubling up, every team should have its own riders, but we have got ourselves into this unholy mess and it's hard to see a way out.

when doubling up was started it was fine as the elite was a lot stronger and prem leagues top riders were going up as reserves

which was a taster for them to see if they could make the move next season strong enough to do the job

the british elite league now is a very poor product prem league riders who score 3 or 4 points can get regular double figures in the eliete league that says it all

• Like 1

when doubling up was started it was fine as the elite was a lot stronger and prem leagues top riders were going up as reserves

which was a taster for them to see if they could make the move next season strong enough to do the job

the british elite league now is a very poor product prem league riders who score 3 or 4 points can get regular double figures in the eliete league that says it all

agreed, the EL is to blame for the mess speedway in this country is in... The PL has had to share its best riders because some of the top lads didnt want to ride here, doubling up was created... Then we have the NL bending over backwards to accomodate the red herring that is FTD.... In essence, most of the changes in this country seem to be about sustaining the not so EL on a yearly basis.... They muck it up and Ford takes advantage :)

Rob Lyon told me 5/6 years ago this would happen, the EL should be Elite, the prem middle men and the half decent youngings and the NL developing raw talent, instead of the likes of cradley taking the mick with riders who shouldnt be eligiable to compete against raw novices, wheres the developnent in that?? Win at all costs has stop and we need to get back to a structure so certain teams cant make a mockery of the sport.

Brady Kurtz on a 5, yet he should have been 7... But somerset wanted him on a 3!!! If hes a 7 as oer the rules then why are certain teams allowed to bend them esp for foreigners, yet Robert Lambert couldnt ride in any league below the EL, we change the goal posts for foreign riders and certain clubs, but not up and coming british talent... The mind boggles.

Edited by Arson fire
  • Like 2

Surely the best scenario for the Cookie Monster would be:

1) If he wants to be back at Edinburgh, get his name on a contract now... Already an Edinburgh legend and I doubt he'd line up for another PL team.

2) Sort out where in the EL he'll be. Belle Vue may be a big doubt if they were so cheesed off with him missing so many home meetings due to a race-night clash... Wednesday night track maybe? Poole? Kings Lynn?

3) Try and get a Swedish place (though team spots are filling up fast)... Secure league, he'll improve and gets his desire to race the top boys and is on a race night that won't affect the UK.

4) Become a squad member in Poland. If he rides in Poland full time, he has to give up the PL as there are too many clashes. But if he was a squad member, it'd be easier to ride some meetings when required to without clashing.

5) Work over the close season to gain more sponsorship...

agreed, the EL is to blame for the mess speedway in this country is in... The PL has had to share its best riders because some of the top lads didnt want to ride here, doubling up was created... Then we have the NL bending over backwards to accomodate the red herring that is FTD.... In essence, most of the changes in this country seem to be about sustaining the not so EL on a yearly basis.... They muck it up and Ford takes advantage :)

Rob Lyon told me 5/6 years ago this would happen, the EL should be Elite, the prem middle men and the half decent youngings and the NL developing raw talent, instead of the likes of cradley taking the mick with riders who shouldnt be eligiable to compete against raw novices, wheres the developnent in that?? Win at all costs has stop and we need to get back to a structure so certain teams cant make a mockery of the sport.

Brady Kurtz on a 5, yet he should have been 7... But somerset wanted him on a 3!!! If hes a 7 as oer the rules then why are certain teams allowed to bend them esp for foreigners, yet Robert Lambert couldnt ride in any league below the EL, we change the goal posts for foreign riders and certain clubs, but not up and coming british talent... The mind boggles.

agree with both posts,the average fan can see what's wrong unfortunately the Promotions cannot. Edited by Fromafar

The answer is quite simple but will never be implemented

Main reason that the real elite riders don't race in the UK is that there are too many meetings and it is not on a consistent meeting night

The problem with riders doubling up is there are too many clashes between pl and el.

There are also too many clashes with riders foreign commitments

Answer:

Reduce the number of meetings in the elite league and only run on a regular meeting night, i.e. all on Monday or perhaps Thursday. That will solve both problems