British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

London fans of a certain age may remember Japan's "Jimmy" Ogisu putting in an appearance at Wimbledon back in the 60's.I recall seeing photos and some film footage of a type of speedway in Japan, held on hard surface tracks. I don't know if speedway as we know it has ever been held in Japan though.

Asia is well known for motor sports, both 2 and 4 wheel with many Asian countries holding major events.

Does anyone know if "proper" speedway has ever been held in Japan?. As the home of the motorcycle on would feel it could be viable.

. . held in Japan. As the home of the motorcycle . . .

Yes, I saw Jimmy O. at the Wimbledon Internationale too, - got his autograph, - can remember the mouthful of gold teeth,

BUT

. . . "Japan, THE HOME OF MOTORCYCLE" , - ? - ? - ? - ?

You're obviously very young and haven't read any history. . It's the West Midlands, - Birmingham & Coventry !

Triumph, BSA, Ariel, Norton, Velocette, Royal Enfield, (Warks.), AJS & Villiers (both Wolverhampton), . . etc, etc . Where do I stop ?

• Like 1

I am very old and had a BSA Bantam in the 60's. Of course, the West Midlands is the true home of Motorcycles but sadly Japan has taken over, hence my comment. I wish it was not so. Purists and discerning motorcycle buyers should look to the traditional British marques...I am on your side on this one.

Japan did normal speedway until the mid 60s. It was then apparently banned because they saw the sliding as too dangerous.

I've been to a couple of meetings in Japan. Must be about 10 years ago now.

It's called Autorace and is raced, as you say, on tarmac. The racing is individual and it is very much a gambling sport there.

Japan did normal speedway until the mid 60s. It was then apparently banned because they saw the sliding as too dangerous.

I've been to a couple of meetings in Japan. Must be about 10 years ago now.

It's called Autorace and is raced, as you say, on tarmac. The racing is individual and it is very much a gambling sport there.

Thanks from the info.

Sure i saw some film on it at one London motorbike show in the 70s and it looked very dramatic.The guys were like gladiators in the back of a wagon that drove them out on the track to their bikes.But i guess in a film you can make things more dramatic and exciting than they are at the track.From later stuff on here it seemed to be more for the betting than anything else