British Speedway Forum
Robinh88

Who Is The Best Pl Number One Ever?

Joe Owen

At 19 years old his 1976 stats were

NL - Newcastle - 39 matches, 28 full maximums, Avg 11.54

BL - Hull - 10 matches, 2 full maximums, Avg 8.86

and there were some top riders in the NL in those days, never mind the BL where there were probably 6 or 7 ex-world champions riding.

I was watching him at Newcastle and my memory is that he had one second place (to Steve Finch) and one broken chain all season in terms of dropped points

He was potential world champion material until his first big accident at Hull in early 78

• Like 1

Although it was only one season it could be argued that Darcy was the best ever, averaging over ten at sixteen years old and breaking track records on his first ever rides at away tracks.

Although it was only one season it could be argued that Darcy was the best ever, averaging over ten at sixteen years old and breaking track records on his first ever rides at away tracks.

Maybe including BPs it was over 10, but I thought not including BPs it was just over 9?

The van in question had been loaned out to riders, he thought it would be better to own it than borrow it, so he simply offered a price.

a see,,, so the butcher lent his van out to people carrying bikes and tools, (general garage type stuff, some of it dirty n oily),,, then when it was'nt getting used he would carry his carcasses and meat products around in it,,, double enterprise, good thinking, good job H & S was'nt strict in them days :-)

Joe Owen

At 19 years old his 1976 stats were

NL - Newcastle - 39 matches, 28 full maximums, Avg 11.54

BL - Hull - 10 matches, 2 full maximums, Avg 8.86

and there were some top riders in the NL in those days, never mind the BL where there were probably 6 or 7 ex-world champions riding.

I was watching him at Newcastle and my memory is that he had one second place (to Steve Finch) and one broken chain all season in terms of dropped points

He was potential world champion material until his first big accident at Hull in early 78

was it not Chris Turner ?

A bit more on Joe for any younger people out there

1975 Avg 10.65 21 full max

1976 Avg 11.54 28 full max

1982 Avg 11.01 13 full + 2 paid max

1983 Avg 11.10 15 full + 5 paid max

Between 76 -82 he was riding in the BL, generally averaging over 8 and almost died in 1978 when he went through a wall at the Boulevard, Hull. For the rest of his career one of his hands was pretty much attached to his body by wire.

He was a good gater but by no means a gating tart and won many battles from the back, being the best exponent of a clean inside pass that I have ever seen at Newcastle. Nicki Pedersen could have learnt a lot about this particular skill from Joe !

• Like 2

If memory serves me right the problem in 75-77 when Newcastle ruled the NL roost was the lack of a points limit. Whilst Newcastle were entertaining visitors to Arlington I would imagine that their home meetings were along the lines of Cradley's over the last couple of years. IMV the Owens (Tom in particular) were for too long content to be big fish in small pond and didn't take the step up to full-time BL to progress .

A bit more on Joe for any younger people out there

1975 Avg 10.65 21 full max

1976 Avg 11.54 28 full max

1982 Avg 11.01 13 full + 2 paid max

1983 Avg 11.10 15 full + 5 paid max

Between 76 -82 he was riding in the BL, generally averaging over 8 and almost died in 1978 when he went through a wall at the Boulevard, Hull. For the rest of his career one of his hands was pretty much attached to his body by wire.

He was a good gater but by no means a gating tart and won many battles from the back, being the best exponent of a clean inside pass that I have ever seen at Newcastle. Nicki Pedersen could have learnt a lot about this particular skill from Joe !

yeah,,, Joe did have flailing elbow's, I seem to remember, lol

Tom, I would possibly agree with you on, although he suffered his own massive injury which kept him out of the sport for 2 full seasons and he was never the same when he returned.

Joe went full time BL in 77 and but for his life threatening accident would have stayed there. He became a solid 2nd heat leader at that level.

What you also had that you don't see now was the same promotion running a BL and NL track and I suspect Joe was leaned on later in his career to ride where his name would make the promotion the most money. That would be the NL where he was a huge draw. On talent alone, he should not have dropped down I agree and would not be allowed to these days.

• Like 1

a see,,, so the butcher lent his van out to people carrying bikes and tools, (general garage type stuff, some of it dirty n oily),,, then when it was'nt getting used he would carry his carcasses and meat products around in it,,, double enterprise, good thinking, good job H & S was'nt strict in them days :-)

was it not Chris Turner ?

They were not using it for The Butchery business, it was an older van, they let a rider use for speedway, if I remember Tero Aarnio fitted the inside out, to use for speedway.

NO HE DID NOT HAVE AN ARGUAMENT WITH PETER WAITE OVER A VAN. :mad:

The disagreement was when the new promotion took over when Dave Peat was the manager. Adrian wanted to buy the marroon transit van off the butchers, they did not want to sell it, he went to Workington instead. There were all sorts of rumours New Vans, New engines etc. etc. none of which were true, the deal fell through over a very small amount of money, mainly to do with insurance, tyres and fuel.

The insurance, tyres and fuel for?

Tbf Rymel wouldnt be in the top 20/30 of PL number ones surely?

One pretty good season and about 10 pretty naff seasons. I'm with you, could list 20, going on 30 better number 1s.