British Speedway Forum

I thought Mullins was confirmed and the other two were going to go head to head/be assessed for the number 7 spot with the other being named as number 8.

Still think it stinks how the others are being treated. Mullins, Sheppard & Couzins were going to race off for the 6,7,& 8 positions.

Mullins drops out, the other two get the places & Kent search for a new 8?

Seems logical but no instead there are others added to the mix, hardly a confidence booster for either rider.

I don't think its likely that Sanderson would be travelling down to Kent every Monday night for just a number 8 berth.....I suspect he will want 6 or 7 or not at all.

Your wrong there, Mullins was confirmed 6. Sheppard and couzins were going to do battle over the number 7 jacket. Both riders are very raw so it would be a poor reserve Line Up naming both. Hopefully we get Sanderson at 6 and Couzins at 7 as he looked to have better raw pace in his second half appearances last season.
  • Like 1

Your wrong there, Mullins was confirmed 6. Sheppard and couzins were going to do battle over the number 7 jacket. Both riders are very raw so it would be a poor reserve Line Up naming both. Hopefully we get Sanderson at 6 and Couzins at 7 as he looked to have better raw pace in his second half appearances last season.

Yes Teaboy279, I also thought that Couzens had more get up and go than Sheppard. Sheppard has had more track time but does not appear to have what it takes other than to be anything other than a reserve. Just my view and may he prove me wrong.

• Like 1

"Muck about on the grasstracks" ?

Have you ever been to a Grasstrack meeting ?

I can assure you they do not "Muck about" and I always thought it was a good practise for a future Speedway rider.

I can assure you I have been to plenty of grasstracks and know there is a lot of talent there. However of the talented young riders with speedway potential I wouldn't include Matt Saul in that bracket.

I agree its good practise for future speedway riders but still maintain that these riders should then progress into the MDL, learn the tracks & set ups, then be granted team places. However this is just my opinion obviously.

• Like 1

I can assure you I have been to plenty of grasstracks and know there is a lot of talent there. However of the talented young riders with speedway potential I wouldn't include Matt Saul in that bracket.

I agree its good practise for future speedway riders but still maintain that these riders should then progress into the MDL, learn the tracks & set ups, then be granted team places. However this is just my opinion obviously.

I have not seen Matt Saul so you maybe right.

And I think Sanderson will get the nod.

Time will tell. :lol:

I know nothing about Sanderson but others who have seen him ,think he may be the best bet,,But i saw enough of Cousins and Shepherd last season to suggest that Cousins is by far the better of the two..If it boils down to a race off i hope it goes well for him..(no garrantee that Shepherd will even make it to the tapes in time)

Edited by waco

Always remember Alf Hagon, brilliant on the grass yet only really made reserve status on shale. Not all riders are able to do both, Malcolm Simmons was one who could.

Sanderson has the racing mentality and raw pace to do well in the future (he's only 16 I think) but his biggest problem last year was making it to the first bend not in last position, and that sometimes led him to trying too hard and coming off. Having said that I didn't see him after he 'left' the Stags mid season until I saw him in the MDL in October and he was much improved going into he first bend. He's certainly a rider with potential, I just think last year was a little difficult for him being thrown into the deep end and once he learns to gate (which is obviously important) he'll become very good.

Sanderson has the racing mentality and raw pace to do well in the future (he's only 16 I think) but his biggest problem last year was making it to the first bend not in last position, and that sometimes led him to trying too hard and coming off. Having said that I didn't see him after he 'left' the Stags mid season until I saw him in the MDL in October and he was much improved going into he first bend. He's certainly a rider with potential, I just think last year was a little difficult for him being thrown into the deep end and once he learns to gate (which is obviously important) he'll become very good.

As much as it makes me harp on about the MDL again it sounds like Sanderson is a prime candidate for more time at that level before moving up?

I don't see it beneficial for any rider to be thrown in before they are ready and subsequently dropped repeatedly at a young age.

• Like 1

As much as it makes me harp on about the MDL again it sounds like Sanderson is a prime candidate for more time at that level before moving up?

I don't see it beneficial for any rider to be thrown in before they are ready and subsequently dropped repeatedly at a young age.

12 months ago, definitely. He needed the MDL before he went in to the NL imo and that didn't happen. But now he's had a year under his belt, he might struggle with a new track to begin with, but combine that with riding MDL and I saw enough talent in him to know he won't do too badly this season.

Liam Sanderson would hold his own at reserve in the nl I watched him every meeting he rode in last year lots of raw talent that just needs to be set in the right direction and with a few reserves that are only just moving up to nl this year from MDL/NJL he would be a good choice good equipment also which helps

The Speedway Star review of the Stags season last year in this weeks edition shows that Liam Sanderson rode ten matches with a final average of 1.22. Bearing in mind that the weak nature of their side actually had the effect of inflkating some averages Arron Mogridge at 4.79 for example, the 1.22 from ten is pretty disappointing

19 rides away from home and just a solitary point is another alarming stat.

It could be he improves massively but his first season in the NL has to be regarded surely as a huge disappointment.

The Speedway Star review of the Stags season last year in this weeks edition shows that Liam Sanderson rode ten matches with a final average of 1.22. Bearing in mind that the weak nature of their side actually had the effect of inflkating some averages Arron Mogridge at 4.79 for example, the 1.22 from ten is pretty disappointing

19 rides away from home and just a solitary point is another alarming stat.

It could be he improves massively but his first season in the NL has to be regarded surely as a huge disappointment.

And people wonder why youngsters drop out of the sport, doubt if there's anything as good as a slagging off on a forum to boost your confidence
  • Like 1

The Speedway Star review of the Stags season last year in this weeks edition shows that Liam Sanderson rode ten matches with a final average of 1.22. Bearing in mind that the weak nature of their side actually had the effect of inflkating some averages Arron Mogridge at 4.79 for example, the 1.22 from ten is pretty disappointing19 rides away from home and just a solitary point is another alarming stat.It could be he improves massively but his first season in the NL has to be regarded surely as a huge disappointment.

If he had stayed on he would have scored a lot more points he tries too hard it' was difficult for most of the scunny lads last year with no one able to guide/help them at all and all but a few in there first year of nl racing and seeing tracks for the first time most of them had only ridden scunny and there local track doing second halfs and being in a team that will be competitive also helps

Always remember Alf Hagon, brilliant on the grass yet only really made reserve status on shale. Not all riders are able to do both, Malcolm Simmons was one who could.

That's not how I see Alf Hagon's speedway career!

http://www.speedwayatoz.co.uk/alfhagon.html