British Speedway Forum

Interesting to see Dan Berwick is in the line up. Is he making a come back, will he ride for the Kings?

Think he is a friend of the Baseby's so has eased himself in the door however if he turns in a decent performance he may be in with a shout if changes are to be made?

Does he still have an average? and if so anybody know if it would fit?

Am surprised with the comments by some about the Pairs. With a 12 rider field it's obvious that the home squad of 8 (assuming Berwick is now in the field to become the no. 8 or indeed one of the reserves) were all going to feature and that leaves just four other spaces.

Those 4 include two riders who last year were good enough to receive call-ups to the Elite League FT draft in Johnson and Ritchings, a PL rider in Chapman, and Banks who gets the pick because of his family connection with Crayford.

Not sure how that constitutes a very weak field?

• Like 1

Pairs line up:

Kent SLYDE Kings: Ben Morley & Adam Sheppard

Crayford Kestrels: Harvie Banks & Danno Verge

Crayford Highwaymen: Danny Ayres & Brendan Johnson

Crusaders: Aaron Baseby & Dan Berwick

Bombers: Darryl Ritchings & Jamie Couzins

Romney Falcons: James Shanes & Sam Chapman

Not sure if I can even bring myself to attend this meeting? A few potential close encounters but pretty shocking standard throughout really. Not hugely impressed by this celebration.....

Surely the main point is to celebrate Speedway in Kent over the years and give the Kings riders more track time.

Also great to see the Crayford and Canterbury race jackets in action after a long time ?

Whilst I agree that Johnson & Ritchings are decent additions to the field as is Chapman although just because he has a team place doesn't make him a PL rider.

Adding Berwick & Banks to the Kings bottom 3 makes 5 reserve level riders in the meeting.

Whilst im all for extra track time for all the team I am undecided if I want to pay full price for the strong chance of very strung out races.

• Like 1

Okay but you can't realistically expect the 'three pointers' in Kent's ranks to be left out of this meeting - god knows they need more track time and the way this meeting is designed is ideal for getting that in a competitive setting.

• Like 1

Completely agree. If anything the meeting needs more 3 pointers to give the lads a confidence boost?

Perhaps I am just being overly negative and suspect I have been for some time. My love for the sport isn't fading but bizarre decisions and actions by Kent over the winter / start of the season have left me questioning when and where I choose to visit......

I've no complaints about the format of this meeting because I ain't going. I stopped attending events like this in the mid 1980's, however I hope those who do go enjoy it, and it pulls in a decent crowd.

• Like 1

Completely agree. If anything the meeting needs more 3 pointers to give the lads a confidence boost?

Perhaps I am just being overly negative and suspect I have been for some time. My love for the sport isn't fading but bizarre decisions and actions by Kent over the winter / start of the season have left me questioning when and where I choose to visit......

Come to Eastbourne :P
  • Like 1

Think he is a friend of the Baseby's so has eased himself in the door however if he turns in a decent performance he may be in with a shout if changes are to be made?

Does he still have an average? and if so anybody know if it would fit?

He averaged 3.68 for Sittingbourne. He did come back the next season and rode a few meetings but got seriously injured and I can't remember if it was enough to get a real average of 3.00 or he's still 3.68.

Edit: I've tried looking it up and the BSPA site has him ending 2009 still on his 3.68 average in the team declaration but he may have dropped to 3.00 and the team just not redeclared after that I suppose. I've found him riding officially in 5 league meetings that year and 4 trophy meetings. But he did ride a few meetings the season after for Plymouth but as he didn't end the season it's as if he didn't exist on the BSPA site, as this is back in the days of the NL not having published greensheets!

Edited by Islander15

Dan Berwick might not fit anyway then.

I will be taking in a few Eastbourne meetings this year especially as Sunday is a far more amiable day ditto Mildenhall if the track gets sorted.

As for Kent I think I will definitely be more choosy this season. The whole set up this year seems pretty half @rsed.

• Like 2

Looking at the field of riders that has to offer for Kent and Eastbourne i would go to Eastbourne,

Georgie Wood (4th)
David Mason (steady and its his first meeting) good rider
Aaron Baseby (mid table)
Danny Ayres (top half of the table if he stays on)
Sam Darroch
Richard Andrews (winner)
Kelsey Dugard (mid to top half of the table)
Danny Warwick (Top half)
Tyler Govier (lower end)
Charley Powell (lower end has never ridden speedway)
Nick Laurence (lower end)
Adam Sheppard (lower to mid)
Marc Owen (3rd)
Niall Strudwick (lower end)
Bradley Wilson-Dean (2nd)
Dawid Wiwatowski
Res 17 Sam Heath

Come to Eastbourne Sings4Kings and ill buy you a programme. :party:

Edited by catinthehat
  • Like 1

The line up for the pairs is very poor and the organisers seem to want Danny Ayers to win as his pairing with Brendon Johnson looks far stronger than any other pairing,,Can only visualise a poor turnout for this. Still the Danny Ayers victory cellebrations should be worth the entry fee alone ,But i do not expect great racing...

• Like 1

Hint don't press post to many times if your on a phone

Edited by Alex2000

Good efforts Islander. So as it currently stands his average is either 3.00 or 3.68 or somewhere in between and even the BSPA may not know.

It may not matter though? Do I remember somewhere that your average gets re-set to 3.00 if you haven't ridden for 5 years?

Although if that is the case it wouldn't be re-set until the end of this season?

• Like 1