British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Warsaw Gp Saturday 18th April

Have to admit i was quite enjoying the racing and watching Chris Harris handle the track conditions was even more enjoyable,he never looked like making a mistake and just gave it 100%.

Some riders acually look for ruts to fire themselves forward.Cant see any reason to blame the ruts,makes it interesting to see riders thinking how to attack the track,and not always racing on a billiard table surface.Anyone know if there was any kind of kerfew in place as to what time the meeting ends,and if the stadium was booked for sunday.I cant think of any other reason to call the meeting off.

• Like 2

how about using existing speedway stadiums on proper tracks it ain't difficult fans want racing excitement not plush stadiums that see poor racing or in this case 12heats - it will happen again a GP being called off when on a temporary track the one that already worries me knowing what the weather can be like in Denmark is Horsens temp track and this time no roof on the stadium so if it's a wet week while laying the track this meeting will be in trouble I say now move this meeting to Vojens and avoid all the bad press .

speedway needs to go for bigger more prestige venues , the gps were run on existing tracks until the millenium stadium in 2000 . 6.000 at the last Gp at existing track brandon .went to 42.000 for the first indoor . if speedway is gojng to compete with other major events we need the big stadiums in city centres ,Warsaw was a good step forward . but the track didn;t hold together . unless someone can come up with a synthetic surface (personally I would investigate shell grip applied to boards ) then this could be the answer to the problem of rough and bumpy indoor tracks

They'd still have to be stored in a high tec environment though to protect them from the weather.......oops

there is that of course .or stored in an assembled form with a caretaker to look after it between events . just like the outdoor versions

Arriving at stadium entrance with English flag told cannot take it in.No foreign flags allowed only Polish flags allowed to be displayed!Were refusing to allow me into stadium.After arguments managed to shove flag in bag and push through.Obviously cannot show support for foreign riders.Try stopping Poles taking their flags into Cardiff .

Nothing short of racism ! I don't remember these rules being in place when Warsaw hosted the football Euros

Oh congratulations, I write a lengthy piece from the heart trying to help the sport I love and you find one minor point to pick on. Congratulations, you win the cardboard medal!

Typical speedway forum. You claim to be interested in debates and free speech but all you want to do is score cheap points, which is why most people don't bother now and just leave your type to childishly bicker away.

There's plenty would disagree with you about most of those sports. Perhaps you don't understand them? People take WWF as an entertainment - like an American pantomime.

So, any other points you want to discuss? Do you want them explaining? Do you want to know how to trim a post you're responding to rather than rely on large coloured fonts?

You claim to be a fan of speedway but in reality your posts show you just want an argument. Anyway, sadly there's plenty who will play with you. I'm not one.

Pathetic as ever.

what a lovely bloke you are ..errrrrrrrrrrrrrr not . sorry did it offend you because you spent so long writing your totally self righteous post , that you cannot accept an alternative view on any single line of it . what a sad and vindictive person , go crawl back under your rock ..

• Like 1

how about using existing speedway stadiums on proper tracks it ain't difficult fans want racing excitement not plush stadiums that see poor racing

But they don't do they? If they did, our stadiums would be packed out week in, week out.

If we put a GP on at Peterborough or Kings Lynn, I doubt you'd get more than 8-10,000 there. Cardiff will get between 35 and 40,000 nailed on. And the fans will come knowing that the track will probably rut up and the racing surface will be far from ideal.

The big stadiums attract the big crowds. And it's the big crowds the sport needs.

The GP at Bydgoszcz last year had a pitiful crowd. And the World Cup Final crowd was also disappointing. Both on what is regarded as one of the best race tracks in the world. Yet last night, they sold out the Polish National Stadium. In a city without a speedway pedigree.

People want to buy into the whole spectacle. Good riders and close racing may cut it for the purist, but that's a tiny market. I, for one, believe that the top level of our sport deserves so much more than the easy way out of deciding that the GP will go back to being held in out of date stadiums outside the big cities.

The thing is, I believe we can have our cake and eat it. There has to be a way to get a relatively 'normal' condition track into one of these venues.

• Like 7

There you have it.

Some of the old guard didn't like the green light starts, indeed they were almost fairer as the riders simply HAD to sit perfectly still.

All this nonsense about the track, Batchelor and Holder... one who isn't fit and likely shouldn't even be racing in the meeting and the other is way out of confidence and struggling on all tracks.

I'm not one to hark back to the 'good old days' but would we have seen riders such as PC, Carter, Briggs etc struggle to ride on such a track? I highly doubt it.

Yes I know the bikes are partly to do with it, but Bomber showed the track could be ridden and indeed raced on perfectly well.

Have to agree regarding Green light starts,they looked much better that the normal Tapes start no rollers,perhaps transponders on the bikes might be the way forward!
  • Like 1

Andreas Jonsson made a brief comment to his local newspaper regarding the track (at practice) he says it was like a beach, the foot just sunk down and the shale was completely dry.

Regarding the actual GP he didn't say that much more then that he thought it was unfortunate and that it likely was due to poor preparations, other then that he didn't want to say anything more.

http://norrteljetidning.se/sport/1.2936779--bedrovligt-och-en-rejal-skandal-

what a lovely bloke you are ..errrrrrrrrrrrrrr not . sorry did it offend you because you spent so long writing your totally self righteous post , that you cannot accept an alternative view on any single line of it . what a sad and vindictive person , go crawl back under your rock ..

Spot on ...never understood why this member posts on here as the moment anyone dares questions him the Toys come out of the pram ....and then we have the standard line about not liking the forum or it's members ...before we have the do you know who I am speech .

Edited by orion
  • Like 2

Maybe their armchairs coped with the ruts better than the bikes.

I have seen worse ruts, more riders lifting, and more crashes in the Cardiff gp's. Yes im sitting in my armchair but that track did not look anymore dangerous than Cardiff usually gets. This was backed up by 2 fallers due to the track, an unfit Batchelor and a tentative Holder.

I await to see how Cardiff cuts up this year!

• Like 1

I have seen worse ruts, more riders lifting, and more crashes in the Cardiff gp's. Yes im sitting in my armchair but that track did not look anymore dangerous than Cardiff usually gets. This was backed up by 2 fallers due to the track, an unfit Batchelor and a tentative Holder.

There's a vast difference between you sitting in your armchair and the track LOOKING dangerous, and the track actually BEING dangerous as considered by those who are riding on it

speedway needs to go for bigger more prestige venues , the gps were run on existing tracks until the millenium stadium in 2000 . 6.000 at the last Gp at existing track brandon .went to 42.000 for the first indoor . if speedway is gojng to compete with other major events we need the big stadiums in city centres ,Warsaw was a good step forward . but the track didn;t hold together . unless someone can come up with a synthetic surface (personally I would investigate shell grip applied to boards ) then this could be the answer to the problem of rough and bumpy indoor tracks

there is that of course .or stored in an assembled form with a caretaker to look after it between events . just like the outdoor versions

Why does speedway have to compete with other major events? Surely the aim should be to provide the best possible speedway racing for existing followers, to a standard which will then bring the next generation of fans to the sport

It's the proper speedway racing that should do it, presented well on well-prepared and established racetracks, and not short-track sand racing in indoor amphitheatres

Perhaps the "Windows" required to put tracks in these stadia is the real issue.....? I think the track needs laying and then at least a full week of time needed to bed it in, test it, re bed where required, test again before the meeting is due.... The timeframes are currently not long enough....

• Like 3

But that's not quite what you said before. I agree that track did not LOOK dangerous but I wasn't riding it.

We have seen worse tracks at Cardiff especially around 2008/9/10 as I recall but that doesn't make it right. In fact it's a pity they didn't all walk out then as we might be seeing better tracks now if they did,.

What we saw on Saturday was a shambles from start to finish. Supposing the riders hadn't walked out then what? More rubbish tracks and hopeless referees ? Ole Olsen continuing to line his pockets for substandard workkmanship ? At least there is now a chance that something might get done. Maybe Eurosport and sponsors might tell the FIM to do a proper job or they are off. Someone else has posted AJ's comments about the track, so more and more information will gradually leak out.

Well done to the riders for sticking together and making a stand I say. Hopefully the heads that roll will be those responsible for the shambles, because even if the full 23 heats had been raced there is no way that sort of meeting can be regarded as acceptable for what should be the jewel in the crown of 21st century speedwáy.

• Like 6

But that's not quite what you said before. I agree that track did not LOOK dangerous but I wasn't riding it.

We have seen worse tracks at Cardiff especially around 2008/9/10 as I recall but that doesn't make it right. In fact it's a pity they didn't all walk out then as we might be seeing better tracks now if they did,.

What we saw on Saturday was a shambles from start to finish. Supposing the riders hadn't walked out then what? More rubbish tracks and hopeless referees ? Ole Olsen continuing to line his pockets for substandard workkmanship ? At least there is now a chance that something might get done. Maybe Eurosport and sponsors might tell the FIM to do a proper job or they are off. Someone else has posted AJ's comments about the track, so more and more information will gradually leak out.

Well done to the riders for sticking together and making a stand I say. Hopefully the heads that roll will be those responsible for the shambles, because even if the full 23 heats had been raced there is no way that sort of meeting can be regarded as acceptable for what should be the jewel in the crown of 21st century speedwáy.

Great post. Problem is that FIM sold out to the greedy gits who continue ruin our sport. Get the World Championship on speedway tracks. Can you imagine the FIFA World Cup being played on park pitches

Just been watching the GP. What a joke, ok I know that a green light start is within the rules of the sport but if you are going to re-run one race because of a tapes malfunction after 4 completed laps why not do it after Heat 2?

I could understand why Nicki P was Peed off when he had to race his heat again so why not let heat 2 be restaged again? A top product this is not.

Wonder if Phil has changed his viewpoint at all after last night's debacle.

He'll be awaiting orders from BSI towers on how they can possibly put a positive spin on this debacle, or at least blame someone else... :P

• Like 1