British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Warsaw Gp Saturday 18th April

Indeed, and even if the worst case scenario happened like it did, the way to deal with it is covered in the rules and it should be no big deal, no starting tapes and green light starts come into effect. The failure of the tapes shouldn't have caused an abandonment. The track was in pretty good condition so it simply comes back to the riders. Any enquiry should focus on how to punish thise riders and put in place a level of punishment for the future should a bunch of prima donnas try and sabotage the series ever again in the future

The track had big probs!!

I guess the staging arenas/organisations need to be more thorough when they sign contracts with BSI, BSI need them maybe more than they need BSI .....

Of course, Humphrey in his unrelenting crusade against BSI will endeavour to lay everything at their door but ultimately that just reflects his poor understanding of what actually goes on, who is responsible for what and that, on occasions, things happen no matter what.

Then why don't you tell us who you think was ultimately responsible rather than muddy the waters as usual?

Yes, things can happen but you can mitigate them. There is no excuse whatsoever for not having a backup starting gate in a GP meeting - something that's critical for running an event. In many years of watching speedway in everything from amateur meetings to GPs, I think I've seen reversion to green light starts on about three occasions, which suggests that promoters everywhere else manage to have serviceable equipment or at least replacement parts.

As for 'two separate starting gates', I think everyone but yourself imagined a replacement mechanism that could be swapped in the event of failure. I can't imagine how the organisers could expect to synchronise two sets of tapes to go up simultaneously when they have difficulty with one. LOL

• Like 2

Then why don't you tell us who you think was ultimately responsible rather than muddy the waters as usual?

Yes, things can happen but you can mitigate them. There is no excuse whatsoever for not having a backup starting gate in a GP meeting - something that's critical for running an event. In many years of watching speedway in everything from amateur meetings to GPs, I think I've seen reversion to green light starts on about three occasions, which suggests that promoters everywhere else manage to have serviceable equipment or at least replacement parts.

As for 'two separate starting gates', I think everyone but yourself imagined a replacement mechanism that could be swapped in the event of failure. I can't imagine how the organisers could expect to synchronise two sets of tapes to go up simultaneously when they have difficulty with one. LOL

Three times?

Seriously?

I've seen it many, many times, as well as the old elastic held across and released too.

Even so, as Oldace points out, it's irrelevant, it's covered in the rules. It should have had NO effect on the running of the meeting at all.

Edited by BWitcher

Three times?

Seriously?

I've seen it many, many times, as well as the old elastic held across and released too.

Even so, as Oldace points out, it's irrelevant, it's covered in the rules. It should have had NO effect on the running of the meeting at all.

I was there and I felt at the time the FIM officials should have been stronger and put the 2 minutes on and said the racing goes on.

The Jury president was Tony steele with Andrzej Grodzki as Jury member along with the ref Jim Lawrence.

• Like 2

THERE appears to still be some confusion over "two starting gates." These are not two entirely separate units placed a few feet apart which would be both unsightly and confusing. The actual starting gate does, however, have two independent mechanisms onto which the tapes can be attached. For both mechanisms to fail, which is what happened in Warsaw, is unprecedented. So, in reality, there was a back-up.

In Cardiff and Stockholm they added a third alternative as it were. Of course it shouldn't have happened and was the straw that broke the camel's back as far as the riders were concerned.

Of course, Humphrey in his unrelenting crusade against BSI will endeavour to lay everything at their door but ultimately that just reflects his poor understanding of what actually goes on, who is responsible for what and that, on occasions, things happen no matter what.

Not just Humphrey Philip.

If BSI wants plaudits for things they do well for Speedway (and I can't think of anything) - then they must accept responsibility when things go wrong.

• Like 3

Not just Humphrey Philip.

If BSI wants plaudits for things they do well for Speedway (and I can't think of anything) - then they must accept responsibility when things go wrong.

Go on then Ian, tell us BSI role in, lets say Warsaw, as against their role in Cardiff

Go on then Ian, tell us BSI role in, lets say Warsaw, as against their role in Cardiff

My feelings about BSI are pretty well known on here Oldace. I rue the day that Speedway got itself involved with BSI. To a large extent, their GPs have ruined British Speedway.

They don't appear to put much back in to the Sport either.

The GPs are their franchise, for want of a better word, no matter who Promotes the GP, be it them or the Polish Authorities/Promotors BSI are ultimately responsible. The whole show is under their banner whether you, or Philip, like it or not. The responsibility for presenting a professional Event is ultimately theirs.

Edited by The White Knight

So last year's fans apparently have just 7 days to buy their tickets to watch some sort of mickey mouse select meeting the following day? Quite pathetic...

quite agree, its just a filler that makes them look good.. its gonna be a real weak line up

quite agree, its just a filler that makes them look good.. its gonna be a real weak line up

How can you say it`s going to be a real weak line-up ?? You don`t think they will be running against Polish Extraleague matches do you ??

All the GP riders are available plus I`m sure they will endeavour to get Emil, the Laguta`s and Vaculik for instance.

I was there and I felt at the time the FIM officials should have been stronger and put the 2 minutes on and said the racing goes on.

The Jury president was Tony steele with Andrzej Grodzki as Jury member along with the ref Jim Lawrence.

Exactly that, like I said at the time advantage was taken of Phil Morris' lack of experience. He needed to simply ignore the complaints and get the 2 mins on. The longer he allowed the drlay the tougher it became to get them out again. I expect he learned a lot from that though and I am sure if the exact same set of circumstances happened again he would endure the meeting carried on

How can you say it`s going to be a real weak line-up ?? You don`t think they will be running against Polish Extraleague matches do you ??

All the GP riders are available plus I`m sure they will endeavour to get Emil, the Laguta`s and Vaculik for instance.

It's a nothing meeting though!

THERE appears to still be some confusion over "two starting gates." These are not two entirely separate units placed a few feet apart which would be both unsightly and confusing. The actual starting gate does, however, have two independent mechanisms onto which the tapes can be attached. For both mechanisms to fail, which is what happened in Warsaw, is unprecedented. So, in reality, there was a back-up.

In Cardiff and Stockholm they added a third alternative as it were. Of course it shouldn't have happened and was the straw that broke the camel's back as far as the riders were concerned.

Who is ultimately responsible though? Where i work we have many managers all responsible for there section. They all report to one manager who is responsible for the whole lot. So who is that? In my eyes its BSI. It sounds like no one wants to actually take charge so there will be continuing conning of fans

It's a nothing meeting though!

Don't go or don't watch. Simple.

Three times?

Seriously?

Only speedway has tapes. Watch superbikes, Moto GP, touring cars, F1 and stock cars, thy all use lights and flags!

Speedway should scrap tapes anyway.

Only speedway has tapes. Watch superbikes, Moto GP, touring cars, F1 and stock cars, thy all use lights and flags!

Speedway should scrap tapes anyway.

On the othet hand MX and enduro (in some cases) uses physical start gates and those you mentioned doesn't have a single line grid.

Edited by Ghostwalker
  • Like 1