British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Warsaw Gp Saturday 18th April

Please enlighten me as to why the meeting even proceeded to Heat 10, if as you say, the 'rain' and 'track' were the issue.

Anyway, been there done that.

Can't give me an answer can you... :icon_smile_clown: Ask your brother Gavan, perhaps he'l come up with an equally stupid remark.,.. :icon_smile_clown: s

Edited by Starman2006

Can't give me an answer can you... :icon_smile_clown: Ask your brother Gavan, perhaps he'l come up with an equally stupid remark.,.. :icon_smile_clown: s

No more stupid comments are needed, you are providing enough all by yourself

• Like 1

No matter what we say the damage to our sport has already been done and I am sure that a lot of fans out there will be thinking twice about spending their money on a ticket for another GP fiasco. It should never have happened. Why after they had graded the track after heat 12 did thwey not come out and give it another couple of races, but no they all just sat back and spit the dummy.

With no thought so ever for the thousands of fans who came to see the so called world top riders perform, they did that alright, and proved just what an overpaid bunch of so called top men of the sport they are, I bet if you had put on a show by some of the National League lads it would have been run until the end.

From a retro perspective, I'd just like to say what a privilege it was to know and interview the riders of the pre-95 era, when men were men and, by and large, they got on with it no matter how bad track conditions were.

Coming as the first GP of 2015 did In the week of the funeral of Nigel Boocock, one of the most courageous and injury-plagued riders ever to grace the world stage, the actions of the GP prima donnas in Warsaw was contemptible. Booey must have been turning in his grave at the complete disregard the 'Warsaw 18' showed for the supporters who had invested money and time travelling to Poland.

This was Rider Power at its most destructive worst. Nowadays, if they insist they will not ride, then there is nothing anyone - the referee, BSI, PZM, Ole Olsen et al - can possibly do about it.

Whoever had the idea of sending out the riders to further insult the intelligence of the 55,000 crowd with a 'lap of dishonour' after the meeting was curtailed should receive the 'P***-Take Of The Year' Award.

The damage inflicted on the sport and the GP series as a whole by their refusal to complete the meeting beyond the 12th heat, in conditions no worse than many other big meetings we have witnessed down the years, is incalculable.

One of the worst aspects was what seemed a complete lack of communication with the viewing public and the thousands watching at home on TV. I always Sky+ the GPs, because the delays between races are invariably interminable, but the lack of information coming from the commentators working for British Eurosport throughout the ridiculous delay was unprecedented in televised sporting history. I don't doubt that the comms themselves didn't know any more than we did about what was happening behind the scenes, where the riders debunked to the dressing room to agree on their sickening rebellion pact - but they should have done.

In this digital communications age, was it really beyond the wit of a Eurosport producer or member of staff in London to dial or text from a mobile phone and connect with a contact in the pits at Warsaw (Steve Brandon?) to try and establish what was going on, so that the likes of Nigel Pearson/Kelvin Tatum and Andy Jaye/Scott Nicholls could, in turn, relay updates to their viewers? Poor Scott, he deserved a 'Man of the Meeting' award for the way he had to fend off one rhetoric question after another from Andy Jaye, whose lack of speedway knowledge was put to the test. The 'padding' was cringeworthy, but at the same time you had to feel sorry for them. Eurosport need to look very closely at how it handles presentation of GPs in future and, if need be, it should insist that the GP organisers BSI always provide a clear line of communication at all times. Viewers of live TV events simply cannot be left in the dark for 30-40 minutes, or whatever it was before the plug was finally pulled.

The one saving grace (if there can possibly be one given the dire circumstances) is that the sad, lamentable events of Saturday are confined to the pages of Speedway Star, one column in MCN and social media. The British press probably won't have even heard about it, let alone report on the farce that unfolded. On wretched occasions such as this, we have to be thankful that the national media ignore our sport, otherwise you dread to think what they would have made of it.

If you think I'm being unkind to the riders who compete (or don't, as the case may be) today, check out video footage of numerous meetings from the 70s, notably the 1975 and 1977 World Finals, plus the 1984 British Final, the 1978 BLRC and the 1979 UK WTC round at Reading, which was run in horrendously wet conditions.

Safety standards for riders barely existed back in the day but they still got on with it. There were no dirt deflectors, no air fences to cushion the fall. Just totally committed riders who cared a lot more about the sport that gave them their living - the bigger picture - rather than themselves.

Think I already posted this on Facebook but perhaps none of the riders in Warsaw wanted to end up with the mantel that you have afforded Booey in this piece!!
  • Like 1

Please enlighten me as to why the meeting even proceeded to Heat 10, if as you say, the 'rain' and 'track' were the issue.

Anyway, been there done that.

You will not get a proper answer. We know he is as thick as ....

He will come back with something like ' if you dont know yourself dont ask' or something about me

Indeed we have, and no doubt Starman made a pr!ck of himself then as well, a glutton for punishment

He makes a pri.k of himself everytime he is on here but he is good for comedy purposes

and right on cue comes the idiot with the usual response lol

and right on cue comes the idiot with the usual response lol

Yep your dead right there... :rofl::icon_smile_clown:

See HenryW's post.

Work was done to the track, not that the riders even took a look.

Which places you very much in the minority..

Events such as Cardiff destroy the myth that it is the 'racing' that brings the fans in.

Yes, I did see that, and Henry's post. My point was that the repair work should have continued, as it still looked streaky, and a lot more work could have been done, even if it was just to make a return to the track more likely, but likely to give some anticipation that all things that could be done was being done. Track not right, and no further work, were clues that racing would not restart, probably before that decision was actually made by the riders.

Quite agree with the two latter lines. We visit as a family to see friends, visit Walkabout, meet acquaintances, walk the shopping area, and enjoy each others company. The races fill the night in, and can be entertaining before the fireworks. Lubos, who lived with us, used to go to see the fireworks.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 1

I watched it again to get my head around it, I thought nicki pedersens actions in getting doyle excluded was bang out of order.

bomber said he thought the track was good and there was some great races, so how did they ALL fully agree to it being cancelled because the track was dangerous ?

I think several senior riders not having a great night and a few winging aussies made the biggest noises to call it off.

I think the riders should hang there heads in shame.

I watched it again to get my head around it, I thought nicki pedersens actions in getting doyle excluded was bang out of order.

bomber said he thought the track was good and there was some great races, so how did they ALL fully agree to it being cancelled because the track was dangerous ?

I think several senior riders not having a great night and a few winging aussies made the biggest noises to call it off.

I think the riders should hang there heads in shame.

Bomber says in this weeks SS that the track was not race-able and it was correct decision to not to continue.So he must have changed his mind after they stopped!!!!!

His choice to say that it was not race-able or had someone got him in strangle hold at the time.

Just pointing out what he said in a national magazine,where and who to did he make the statement that robert72 quoted.I do agree that the meeting should have went ahead,giving what we had been watching. Edited by Fromafar

I thought we had cleared this myth up...Nicki had no input into Doyle's exclusion.

The only thing that got Doyle excluded was him dropping the clutch about half a second before the green light went off...I hope he is suitably embarrassed at his grumpy claims to Phil Morris that he went with the light when several camera angles proved that he was WAY ahead of the light :D

Where did this quote from Bomber come from? Was it an interview during the meeting and if so, at what point?

I thought we had cleared this myth up...Nicki had no input into Doyle's exclusion.The only thing that got Doyle excluded was him dropping the clutch about half a second before the green light went off...I hope he is suitably embarrassed at his grumpy claims to Phil Morris that he went with the light when several camera angles proved that he was WAY ahead of the light :D Where did this quote from Bomber come from? Was it an interview during the meeting and if so, at what point?

Not cleared up for me - why didn't Lawrence immediately exclude Doyle before he had even returned to the pit gate? Why only after Pedersen called him? If it wasn't Doyle, then what was Pedersen talking to him about? What could possibly have occurred to him that urgently needed the refs attention after a false start?

So as a mean Scot paying £170 for 12 heats, is there any avenue to get a refund? Don't quote me ticket conditions as a 5 year old could prove they are unfair. Who was my contract for 23 heats of racing with?

Part of my defence was that there is no way I had £170 worth of food and drink by heat 12... or heat 11.... or heat 10.........