British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Countries Where League Racing Has Failed

In the attempt to update this thread I have been trying to get information in regard to Bulgaria and the possibility that they have, or may have had, a league competition.

Can any BSF member provide the much-needed information please?

I have found the following Link to speedway in that country but so far can find anything that indicates they have - or may have had - a league competition.

http://speedway-bg.com

Edited by Guest

Just out of interest a couple of quotes from the 1961 Speedway Star Digest's European Review:

"Bulgaria. There was little activity, with Czechoslovakian and Hungarian riders carrying off the honours. Poor equipment retards progress, although promise of delivery of Czechoslovakian machines this year would do much to benefit the sport. K. Nikalov is champion."

"Hungary. Pal Pereney was Hungary's leading racer, and looks to be a rider with a big future once he obtains top class equipment. Other Hungarians who did well in international events were Lapos Varos and Istvan Djaka. There are many tracks in Hungary, but lack of central organisation is retarding progress."

The other countries reviewed are: Austria, Czechoslovakia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Holland, Norway, Poland, Russia, Sweden and Yugoslavia.

Edited by norbold

In the attempt to update this thread I have been trying to get information in regard to Bulgaria and the possibility that they have, or may have had, a league competition.

Can any BSF member provide the much-needed information please?

I have found the following Link to speedway in that country but so far can find anything that indicates they have - or may have had - a league competition.

http://speedway-bg.com

Apart from 1975 these all appear to be single meeting competitions or cup competitions with elimination rounds and a final.

http://www.historyspeedway.nstrefa.pl/dmbulgarii.php

Edited by arnieg

Apart from 1975 these all appear to be single meeting competitions or cup competitions with elimination rounds and a final.

http://www.historyspeedway.nstrefa.pl/dmbulgarii.php

Thank you for this arnieg - so the correct definition is that league speedway has ceased in Bulgaria?

An interesting update. Of the countries detailed by you Puma23 which have so far not been itemised previously in this thread, the additional failed league countries are Yugoslavia, Slovenia and Romania. May I add that I found the information on your website of great interest, although I have visited it MANY times for other information over the years. Well done.

Edited by Guest

How do we distinct between a "league" championship and a "team" championship?

I ask because what most of the above countries ever have had, would rather have been classed as a team championships in the 4-T-T style, but not a "true" league, with team v team meetings, though in most cases they may still have called it a league competition.

How do we distinct between a "league" championship and a "team" championship?

I ask because what most of the above countries ever have had, would rather have been classed as a team championships in the 4-T-T style, but not a "true" league, with team v team meetings, though in most cases they may still have called it a league competition.

What you mention Bavarian is something I have also wondered about. If you go back to the opening post you will notice comments I made in regard to Holland and New Zealand where I itemised both as no longer having league competitions in what are regarded as the accepted format although both stage what you describe as team championships?

​I would be most interested to see further opinions on this theme. Thank you.

By the same margin, the Finnish SM-Liiga has been run using a 4TT format, but is a league in the truest sense of the word, as there are twelve meetings throughout the season. I would imagine this is rather more than were held in the likes of Romania and Bulgaria in the past and equally countries like Italy where the 'team' championship uses a best pairs format.

Countries where league racing has failed: USA, New Zealand (in the original concept), Australia, South Africa, Holland (in the original concept), Italy (?).

Any additions to the list please? And possible reasons for the failures.

Where could it happen next? :lol:

As an update to the above, and I would like comments on my post, league racing in New Zealand although only with three teams at present, is on a structure generally accepted for league racing.

​It has been said in subsequent Posts that the league in Italy was on a best pairs format, so in my opinion does not qualify for a listing.

Additionally, there was a form of acceptable league racing for one season only in Bulgaria, in 1975. That would qualify it as a failed league.

​The other countries listed remain. In regard to Holland the present league competition does not qualify being basically what is known as "team championship" racing.

Two additions to the inaugural failures where recognised team racing took place are Ukraine and Rhodesia.

Any comments would be appreciated.

And as mentioned in the initial topic post but still without an answer is this question: And possible reasons for the failures.

Following the trend and success of similar leagues being set up in Holland, Sweden and Poland at the time, in the early 1950s Austria tried to set up a "true" league competition (team v team meeting on a home-and-away basis. There were two teams in Vienna that I know of, and one in Graz. The famous Leopold Killmeyer played a major part in setting up this Austria Speedway League. It faded away, though, after a few seasons.

In the 1970s, and later on, the Austrians experimented with a revial in form of a four-team-tournament league competition similar to how Germany and Czechoslovakia ran their respective national speedway leagues.

Following the trend and success of similar leagues being set up in Holland, Sweden and Poland at the time, in the early 1950s Austria tried to set up a "true" league competition (team v team meeting on a home-and-away basis. There were two teams in Vienna that I know of, and one in Graz. The famous Leopold Killmeyer played a major part in setting up this Austria Speedway League. It faded away, though, after a few seasons.

In the 1970s, and later on, the Austrians experimented with a revial in form of a four-team-tournament league competition similar to how Germany and Czechoslovakia ran their respective national speedway leagues.

Thank you for this information Bavarian. It indicates that league racing in the accepted format failed in Austria.

So how many actually are there so far and was Italy and Hungary discussed. Does Japan still do speedway?

So how many actually are there so far and was Italy and Hungary discussed. Does Japan still do speedway?

Speedway in the concept that we understand was banned in Japan in the1960s as "too dangerous." At one time, Japanese speedway riders appeared albeit briefly in the UK(at Wimbledon), Australia and the USA. It has been replace by 'Auto Speedway' but there was never a league competition in the days of 'real speedway.'

These Links are a guid as to what takes place in Japan nowadays:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_Race_%28Japanese_sport%29

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73KaI_bQ56o

http://australianspeedway.com/threads/japanese-riders-in-australia.19345/

...and here's an item re Jimmy Ogisu, the Japanese rider who raced at Wimbledon.

http://www.national-speedway-museum.co.uk/junuchio-ogisu.html

...and Joe Beevers both Italy and Hungary have been discussed in previous Posts...and decided as countries where league racing in the accepted concept has failed.

Edited by Guest

In the 1960s the league in Sweden, - at the time a top, if not the top speedway nation, taking 5 World Championship in that one decade - , was run as a 4TT competition, with the same 16-heat format as the WTC.
So I reckon one has to accept 4TTs.

In the 1960s the league in Sweden, - at the time a top, if not the top speedway nation, taking 5 World Championship in that one decade - , was run as a 4TT competition, with the same 16-heat format as the WTC.

So I reckon one has to accept 4TTs.

Similar to the Bundesliga.Swapped from one to the other.Would be a bit strange to recognise the Bundesliga champs from a few years and not from others just because some years it was a 4tt format