British Speedway Forum
uk_martin

Team G.b. 2015

Team England?

no not 'team' anything - its a pathetic attempt at being modern which has become old really quickly and is yet another nail in the credibility coffin

• Like 2

I would love to see the return of the test match, have some great memories of the late 80s early 90s tests against the USA at swindon

Doubt the calender would allow for such fixtures these days, i do like the idea of blooding some of the younger talents in such tests though

And it will always be England to me

We made the final last year so why change anything. Just pick the 4 riders in the best form, the u21s is where they should blood the youngsters. Perhaps arrange other meetings for the up and coming riders.

What would you call it then !

Team who will never win this thing as we are not good enough GB
  • Like 1

I agree they should set up some meeting for the under 21 riders against the other counties who are top of the pile. Without them riding against the worlds up and coming talent, they are never going to progress above what they are doing now. That is FTR, PL and NL leagues.

With the promoters not offering the chance to make a full team place and with them just staying as things are now they are never going to progess any further.

Give the at least 4 or 5 test matches every year to bring them on.

Other wise you can write British speedway from ever competing at a top level in 3 or 4 years time.

We made the final last year so why change anything.

Be real. We got to the final because Australia coq'd up big style. They lost it rather than GB winning it.

I agree they should set up some meeting for the under 21 riders against the other counties who are top of the pile.

So why don't the BSPA / SCB enter a u21 team into the FIM u21 SWC? - or is that because apart from Adam Ellis and Rob Lambert, we don't have any worthy riders under the age of 21? The resf of our "young hopefuls" in the fast track system are over 21 and as old as 28.

• Like 1

So why don't the BSPA / SCB enter a u21 team into the FIM u21 SWC? - or is that because apart from Adam Ellis and Rob Lambert, we don't have any worthy riders under the age of 21? The resf of our "young hopefuls" in the fast track system are over 21 and as old as 28.

Er...! They did

And they did quite well coming just three points behind an Australian team featuring Nick Morris and Max Fricke

http://www.internationalspeedway.co.uk/wjtc14.htm

Of last year's team only Garrity will no longer be eligible.

• Like 1

I concur

did you hear about the most agreeable invading army of all time? They came, they saw, they concurred.

Edited by ch958

Er...! They did

Correct - in the past tense. Came third in a semi-final beating Germany (good job there wasn't a penalty shoot-out wasn't it?) and only out-scoring Germany and Finland out of the 8 teams in the semi-finals. Not what I would call "doing quite well" or anything to be satisfied about unless it was a stepping stone in a long-term process...SO why is there is no news about an entry into the 2015 competition? From reading the International section of BSF it looks like the BSPA are entering no-one into the SEC, no-one into the Best Pairs, and only one rider into the u21's. Nothing has been said about an entry into the u21 SWC.

• Like 2

Correct - in the past tense. Came third in a semi-final beating Germany (good job there wasn't a penalty shoot-out wasn't it?) and only out-scoring Germany and Finland out of the 8 teams in the semi-finals. Not what I would call "doing quite well" or anything to be satisfied about unless it was a stepping stone in a long-term process...SO why is there is no news about an entry into the 2015 competition? From reading the International section of BSF it looks like the BSPA are entering no-one into the SEC, no-one into the Best Pairs, and only one rider into the u21's. Nothing has been said about an entry into the u21 SWC.

Quite right uk martin

Could also select riders for European Pairs, European Junior Team, SEC Individual & Junior European Individual - Plenty of experience to be had out there

Think we need to select a few riders to compete in both the World & European events & assist them through the rounds

I know it's annoying having guests, but some sacrifices are needed to improve British riders. In Cricket & Rugby Union, clubs play second fiddle to the National team

British riders are living in a cushy little bubble, whilst there's a big exciting world out there

• Like 4

Don't be so negative

Would you not agree that it represents considerable progress on 2011 when Team GB finished behind Germany in the European Under 19 Semi Final.

I too would be very disappointed if we didn't enter the under 21 World Team Cup. And we really ought to be entering riders in the World and European under 21 competitions. Not competing in the Onesport Pairs is a statement to the world that we've given up, but the FIM-Europe Pairs is a bit of a mickey mouse event, but maybe we should use it to get younger riders more continental experience.

• Like 1

Don't be so negative

Would you not agree that it represents considerable progress on 2011 when Team GB finished behind Germany in the European Under 19 Semi Final.

I too would be very disappointed if we didn't enter the under 21 World Team Cup. And we really ought to be entering riders in the World and European under 21 competitions. Not competing in the Onesport Pairs is a statement to the world that we've given up, but the FIM-Europe Pairs is a bit of a mickey mouse event, but maybe we should use it to get younger riders more continental experience.

You say negative, I say he's quite realistic tbf. We should never have been behind Germany and frankly, 6th place is a bit crap - the positive is I think we look like having a decent bunch of youngsters at the moment though, so lets hope they carry on the improvement we have seen.

Also agree on the SEC. We should be sending Craig Cook to these types of meeting. 1 meeting outside the UK and then people wonder why he can't get a job in Poland or Sweden!

Be real. We got to the final because Australia coq'd up big style. They lost it rather than GB winning it.

That's just rubbish GB fully deserved the win that night. What's the point in nurturing riders in a World Cup that is not what a world cup is for.

The qualifier with GB was close between the top 3, GB were not far away from qualifying for the final, I think they may have been leading going into the last fee heats.

I agree if we don't send a team into the u21's this year that will be a disgrace.

Edited by woz01
  • Like 1