British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
topsoil

Berwick V Belle Vue 1991

Looking back at an old DVD from the season 1991, the year Berwick were in the then British League, I see Berwick beat Belle Vue 60-0 in a meeting run after Belle Vue refused to ride. But the part I found amusing is that even without opposition Berwick still didn't manage to score the maximum 65 points. Can anybody help me out here? Anybody know why they dropped points? Presumably falls or engine failures?

Looking back at an old DVD from the season 1991, the year Berwick were in the then British League, I see Berwick beat Belle Vue 60-0 in a meeting run after Belle Vue refused to ride. But the part I found amusing is that even without opposition Berwick still didn't manage to score the maximum 65 points. Can anybody help me out here? Anybody know why they dropped points? Presumably falls or engine failures?

I was there,don't think they actually ran heats but could be wrong.Belle Vue did not turn up if I remember correctly.

The match was run in full, but certain Berwick riders were clearly considering their averages, and pulled onto the grass in some races.

There was also a second half, with 'real' racing.

Belle Vue were fined £1,000 for refusing to turn up.

• Like 1

I was there,don't think they actually ran heats but could be wrong.Belle Vue did not turn up if I remember correctly.

Didn't Belle Vue refuse to race because they had had their end of season do the night before the meeting at Berrington, all the heats took place though mysteriously some of the Berwick who were eyeing contracts for the following season manage to break down in some of those heats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZdTOjbSDlo

Edited by screm
  • Like 1

Cheers for the link, just out of interest, who were the riders who failed to finish? Anybody get a maximum? Been reading about this season in old copies of the Advertiser in the library, the row between Kelvin Tatum and Terry Lindon over money. Must have been an amazing season, seeing the top riders in the world each week at Berrington Lough.

Cheers for the link, just out of interest, who were the riders who failed to finish? Anybody get a maximum? Been reading about this season in old copies of the Advertiser in the library, the row between Kelvin Tatum and Terry Lindon over money. Must have been an amazing season, seeing the top riders in the world each week at Berrington Lough.

Don't think it was just Tatum that had money issues with Lindon.

Don't think it was just Tatum that had money issues with Lindon.

Richard Knight , & Jimmy Nillsen , (not sure about the other team members) where also due money from the " completely innocent " Terry Lindon although not as much as Tatum , who actually advocated a strike by the riders but his teammates refused to back him in this course of action

It was fantastic seeing the worlds best at Lough . Always remember Marvyn Cox attempting to master his way round the "WeeTrack " and failing miserably

Richard Knight , & Jimmy Nillsen , (not sure about the other team members) where also due money from the " completely innocent " Terry Lindon although not as much as Tatum , who actually advocated a strike by the riders but his teammates refused to back him in this course of action

It was fantastic seeing the worlds best at Lough . Always remember Marvyn Cox attempting to master his way round the "WeeTrack " and failing miserably

Berwick had a decent team that season, though you cant help thinking a few riders were beaten before the first race started as they must've been wondering where on earth they were going along the narrow roads to Berrington Lough.

• Like 1

Berwick had a decent team that season, though you cant help thinking a few riders were beaten before the first race started as they must've been wondering where on earth they were going along the narrow roads to Berrington Lough.

Bit like Todd Wiltshire at the opening meeting Vs Reading when it snowed