British Speedway Forum
barrow boy

Starting Proceedure

Reread post 6, it is used for the same purpose at Berwick.

It is not 30mtrs behind start line it is beyond pit gate to stopped riders going round to back straight and making them go to start.the riders could go to start then turn round and ride back into pits if they wanted judging by the position of the rope.?

Barrow Boy, remember the guy we had at Leicester in the last couple of seasons at Leicester s old Blackbird Road Cicuit? The one who stood behind the starting gate, about 30 yards back and held a rope from the fence to the kerb to stop riders going back past that point whilst riders gardened.... Stopped um going back past the 4th bend? That kind of worked.... Should that role be brought back? Don't forget, at old Leicester, the pits were on the first bend..... And we're properly gated, not just a set back hole in the fence.. aid the pit marshall had to physically open that gate, riders couldn't just ride through, and nobodly in them days had fuel tanks with just enough fuel in to do 4 laps, or had clutch coolers etc...

Edited by Shale Searcher

Barrow Boy, remember the guy we had at Leicester in the last couple of seasons at Leicester s old Blackbird Road Cicuit? The one who stood behind the starting gate, about 30 yards back and held a rope from the fence to the kerb to stop riders going back past that point whilst riders gardened.... Stopped um going back past the 4th bend? That kind of worked.... Should that role be brought back?

It's when they have done their messing about and are at rest within a couple of bike lengths of lining up and are waiting for the others to to move up first that I would like stopped. Having a rope 30 meters or so behind them is not going to change things.

It is not 30mtrs behind start line it is beyond pit gate to stopped riders going round to back straight and making them go to start.the riders could go to start then turn round and ride back into pits if they wanted judging by the position of the rope.?

Which is exactly the point that Shale Searcher was making, and I was saying still happened at Berwick. :o:shock:

It's all very well saying the Start Marshall must make the riders do this or that, the simple truth is that he cannot physically make the riders do anything at all!

It has always seemed to me that being a Start Marshall is the most thankless and difficult task in speedway, akin to herding a thousand cats through the streets of London in a hailstorm.

I wouldn't do the job for all the tea in China.

• Like 1

It's all very well saying the Start Marshall must make the riders do this or that, the simple truth is that he cannot physically make the riders do anything at all!

It has always seemed to me that being a Start Marshall is the most thankless and difficult task in speedway, akin to herding a thousand cats through the streets of London in a hailstorm.

Bringing them in one at a time from gate one works at Glasgow

Which is exactly the point that Shale Searcher was making, and I was saying still happened at Berwick. :o:shock:

Iread shale shifters post different to you I'm afraid ,he is saying the rope 30 mtrs behind start prevented riders going back to pits,at Berwick the rope is beyond the pit gate towards 4th bend ,therefore there is nothing to stop the riders returning to pits.therefore we will beg to differ.

Agree,I'm disappointed that the refs don't support the Start marshal more often by throwing out the riders who do not conform to his instructions .
  • Like 1

Iread shale shifters post different to you I'm afraid ,he is saying the rope 30 mtrs behind start prevented riders going back to pits,at Berwick the rope is beyond the pit gate towards 4th bend ,therefore there is nothing to stop the riders returning to pits.therefore we will beg to differ.

Agree,I'm disappointed that the refs don't support the Start marshal more often by throwing out the riders who do not conform to his instructions .

I believe that once Riders are lined up they should be under total control of both the Starting Marshal and the Referee. There should be a line, a couple of bike lengths from the Tapes, then once the Bikes are in that area the Riders must do as the Starting Marshal instructs immediately or they are given a ten yard penalty. It would only have to happen once or twice and the Riders would soon learn.

Just a thought.

All the starting marshall has to do is invite the rider in gate 1 to move up to the tapes and not until he has, does he then invite the rider in gate 2 to do likewise and so on. If a rider is deemed by the referee to be taking too long to comply he should then be warned by the referee after the race has finished via his team manager that if he does it again he will be fined for delaying the starts.

All the starting marshall has to do is invite the rider in gate 1 to move up to the tapes and not until he has, does he then invite the rider in gate 2 to do likewise and so on. If a rider is deemed by the referee to be taking too long to comply he should then be warned by the referee after the race has finished via his team manager that if he does it again he will be fined for delaying the starts.

Another good idea. :t:

Let's hope that something is introduced to tighten up on Starting Procedures.

It annoys me that when the start marshall has finally got all 4 riders to stop there shunting to and fro and setting a row of potatoes, that we then see one of the riders do an about turn and ride a few meters down the track and then come back to the start. Surely once lined up they are ready to start and any rider leaving the tapes should be disqualified.

I think at the end of the day, it doesn't matter how many lines you draw, rope off areas, etc, the riders will always push these lines/areas to the limit, and some beyond so they in their own mind are in control of the start grid...

I reckon the clock at the start gate would kill most if not all the start delaying, mind games, riders rituals that goes on. Once the clock is activated and on a 2 mins or even a 90 second countdown, that's it, when it reaches zero, the green light goes on and that's it... If you miss the start, tough luck on you....

• Like 1

Clock on the centre green (Max of 2 minutes from the start of heat siren to tapes up) and secondly, bring back concrete starting grids.

But here's the problem guys. We are all looking at various potential solutions that will most likely never be enforced. And why is that? Simple. Promoters are happy these days stretching out 15 minutes of racing over 90 minutes - 2 hours. Gardening and messing about at the tapes doesn't cost them anything.

Heaven forbid we ever go back to second halves with 'Rider of the Night', or Silver Helmet match races. Let's just continue to dilute the product with a myriad of lesser-skilled riders (dressed up as 'British Development') and raise admission prices for speedway's ever-ageing faithful. After all, they are all quite happy standing in the freezing cold, watching a tractor go round (and round, and round) whilst listening to a Woolworths 'Top of the Pops' album from 1972.

Edited by The Voice Of Reason
  • Like 2

After all, they are all quite happy standing in the freezing cold, watching a tractor go round (and round, and round) whilst listening to a Woolworths 'Top of the Pops' album from 1972.

Excellent