British Speedway Forum
ch958

Riding In Europe In The Old Days

Werent there plenty of 2nd division speedway matches on Sundays after the late 60s??

yes there were he's talking rubbish as per

I can recall interviews in the Star but forget which riders saying they didn't want league matches on a sunday. Very little to do with Opec.and the Yom Kippur war and more to do with continental grass track, etc

the response i was looking for was given by arnieg - before 1987 Swedish league matches were raced by Swedes alone it seems. Thats why i never heard of riders jetting off every 5 minutes

A little research can often save making a right t!t of yourself you know.

By the 1970s there were plenty of sports events taking place on Sundays. Those who attended will remember they were all "entry by programme". This was not the matchday magazine as we know it but a liitle flyer flyer type thing that cost whatever the admission would be. This then got you "free admission"

As Mr Snackette says this was entirely to do with the lords day observance society regs

• Like 1

BTW Mr Snackette's contribution was relevant and informative - I don't understand the abuse directed at him.

People constantly seem to take exception to him, then get arsey with him when he points out eh was correct. They then deem this to be him being the bad party for having the audacity to be right or for correcting them - the BSF is full of these type of people. They seem to think they can state what they like and it cannot be discussed or argued - odd concept on a forum!

Ivan didn't decide to leave Belle Vue , in facy he was prepared to give Britain a miss rather than be forced to go to Exeter where rider control allocated him. Of course when John Richards tripled his salary and still gave him the opportunity to race the lucrative Sunday scene on the continent he changed his mind but he had sat out the first few weeks of 1973 before it all got resolved

Fair enough.Although I had been to speedway before,1973 was the first season I really got into the sport,so all the happenings over the winter and even the start f that season went over my head.Think there was something in the programme about Mauger maybe joining the Dons,but at the time it meant nothing to me.In fact I think Jim Tebby being dropped into the second halves and then joining another team(Newport?) after a couple of weeks seems to have stuck more than Ivans to do with Rider Control :o

People constantly seem to take exception to him, then get arsey with him when he points out eh was correct. They then deem this to be him being the bad party for having the audacity to be right or for correcting them - the BSF is full of these type of people. They seem to think they can state what they like and it cannot be discussed or argued - odd concept on a forum!

Except of course if you put your own view, right or wrong, you get megalomaniac replies about your alleged inferior intelligence. Hardly a basis to debate anything, whether it be factual or dependant on opinion. Nothing to do with him being correct.

• Like 1

yes there were he's talking rubbish as per

I can recall interviews in the Star but forget which riders saying they didn't want league matches on a sunday. Very little to do with Opec.and the Yom Kippur war and more to do with continental grass track, etc

the response i was looking for was given by arnieg - before 1987 Swedish league matches were raced by Swedes alone it seems. Thats why i never heard of riders jetting off every 5 minutes

Thank you for your kind words.

I always enjoy reading your thoughtful, well researched and elegantly written contributions!!!!!!

Except of course if you put your own view, right or wrong, you get megalomaniac replies about your alleged inferior intelligence. Hardly a basis to debate anything, whether it be factual or dependant on opinion. Nothing to do with him being correct.

Oh dear, how sad.

Even though what I said was correct, apparently I shouldn't have posted it.....ah well it takes all sorts!!!

If you or any of your slavish followers are puzzled about your unpopularity there it is right there

Arrogance and hubris

If you or any of your slavish followers are puzzled about your unpopularity there it is right there

Arrogance and hubris

Another sparkling contribution....as always insightful and lucid.

Sadly you did unfortunately (and probably unintentionally) make yourself look a little silly earlier.

There will be those on here who pointed out the serious flaw in your original argument, who would regard your comments describing them as having no original thoughts or ideas, as a rather arrogant comment in itself.

Food for thought perhaps????!!!!!

Sadly you did unfortunately (and probably unintentionally) make yourself look a little silly earlier.

There will be those on here who pointed out the serious flaw in your original argument, who would regard your comments describing them as having no original thoughts or ideas, as a rather arrogant comment in itself.

I should probably stay out of this. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes::blink:

To answer the original question the reason that riders were exclusively riding in Britain was simple.

Firstly pre 1989 and the fall of communism Poland, and the rest of Eastern Europe, wasn't readily accessible like today and they certainly weren't awash with money at that time. The odd touring party used to go either way (the Poles often with security to make sure they went home) but that was it. The fall of the Berlin wall opened up Poland to the west and, if I recall, it was Hans Nielsen who first took the opportunity by signing for Motor Lublin?

Swedish speedway from the mid sixties was in pretty poor shape and was played out to only a handful of spectators, little money for the home based Swedes let alone flying them in from the rest of Europe. The early 90s saw something of a resurgence and, like Poland, the Eurpean based riders happily jumped on the bandwagon.

These things happened at the same time British Speedway was falling from the publics favour and very very quickly Britain went from number one priority league to number 3.

• Like 2

To answer the original question the reason that riders were exclusively riding in Britain was simple.

Firstly pre 1989 and the fall of communism Poland, and the rest of Eastern Europe, wasn't readily accessible like today and they certainly weren't awash with money at that time. The odd touring party used to go either way (the Poles often with security to make sure they went home) but that was it. The fall of the Berlin wall opened up Poland to the west and, if I recall, it was Hans Nielsen who first took the opportunity by signing for Motor Lublin?

Swedish speedway from the mid sixties was in pretty poor shape and was played out to only a handful of spectators, little money for the home based Swedes let alone flying them in from the rest of Europe. The early 90s saw something of a resurgence and, like Poland, the Eurpean based riders happily jumped on the bandwagon.

These things happened at the same time British Speedway was falling from the publics favour and very very quickly Britain went from number one priority league to number 3.

The other significant factor was the liberalization of the European airline market with Easyjet and Ryanair coming onto the scene in 1995.

go away

yes - the original question

i was going from memory only but this and Arnieg's replies have satisfied my curiosity

thank you for your reply

it does show that these things go in cycles and that perhaps the current pre-eminence of Polish, Swedish and maybe Danish league racing may not last forever.

go away

i was going from memory only but this and Arnieg's replies have satisfied my curiosity

thank you for your reply

it does show that these things go in cycles and that perhaps the current pre-eminence of Polish, Swedish and maybe Danish league racing may not last forever.

I think that is definitely the case. Polish speedway is currently recreating British speedways mistakes from 35 - 40 years ago. They are paying out more money than is coming in and upping admission to pay for it. While crowds are still high compared to here they are well down on their peak and in real terms speedway in Poland is as expensive, or even more expensive, than here.

Like Britain after the war, Poland, post communism, was a nation starved of live entertainment and flocked to the (then) relatively cheap speedway tracks. As Poland becomes more 21st century speedway is slowly not the attraction it once was. The big Sunday afternoon paydays of Poland will fizzle out inside 10 years.

• Like 1

go away

thank you for your reply

There are several countries where the concept of league racing has died out - South Africa, Holland, Australia, USA spring readily to mind. And the New Zealand League is not the force it was in the late 1940s - these days little more than a challenge round series.

There are several countries where the concept of league racing has died out - South Africa, Holland, Australia, USA spring readily to mind. And the New Zealand League is not the force it was in the late 1940s - these days little more than a challenge round series.

Lets hope Speedway never reaches that situation here. The problem is - it could in the future if things continue as they are.

Not sure if it was the 70's or 80's but I seem to remember John Davis riding in the German league.

Yes I watched John Davis ride in a German League meeting in the 80's when I was in Germany...

In the 70's and 80's most top riders rode in Germany on Sunday's in individual meetings and of course the longtrack scene was much bigger back then and a lot of riders did German longtrack at weekends..

I remember the Polish League opening up to foreigners around 1989 or 1990 and that was where riders really wanted to go....I remember Paul Thorp telling my brother in law around that time what he was earning in Poland and that he really had to get a place over there...I don't think that early money lasted for a lot and some got their fingers burned but it was the start and of course foreign riding in the main now means Polish League