British Speedway Forum
sommelier

Rob Lambert Our Next British Hope?

In the past he hasn't made himself available for the British team, wasn't he riding in the German championships?

You didn't mention passports,but you have made a statement that seems to connect his not riding for the British team with his participation in the German championships.Like it has been stated he had pretty well no chance of riding for the German team.What he could have done is ride in individual championships like the world U21s as a 'german' rider.He might have been thinking of this during his disagreement with the British authorities.His friend was of course at the time the German manager and he might have even said Robert would get a nomination.But it could have been a dodgy path to take as it seems the DMSB weren't happy with the close connection between the two and i'd guess would be hesitant to nominate him.It might be in the rules that the top 3 or 4 in the German U21 final get the nominations,but who is to say the DMSB wouldn't change the rules if they thought Robert was taking this route?I know Stephan Katt had problems with the DMSB and hinted he would take out a French licence to get into the world longtrack championships.The French said they had no problems with this.......but......Katt had to enter the French championships and finish in the qualifying places.........

• Like 1

First time tonight that I have seen Lambert 'in the flesh' and I must say I was impressed. Looked very quick and certainly knows how to race.

A little slow out of the gate apart from one blinder but if he can get some consistency in the that area he appears to have all the right ingredients to really push on.

• Like 2

First time tonight that I have seen Lambert 'in the flesh' and I must say I was impressed. Looked very quick and certainly knows how to race.

A little slow out of the gate apart from one blinder but if he can get some consistency in the that area he appears to have all the right ingredients to really push on.

i agree my first time seeing him and boy he can race. Can't gate for toffee but then again neither could Loram
  • Like 1

Iv been banging on about Lambert last year, lot of comments that others did not share my highly rated views of him! I honestly believe he is a serious talent. So pleased hes at Lynn, IMO could not be at a better club. I understand that he as a good family behind to.

Lets hope that he sits down and listens to the older riders to help him with his gatting. Max Clegg was terrible for most of the season at the Lions and it was said he even told riders that he didn't need any help with his gatting, he was left at the start every time and they had gone round the fiorst bend before he evn got his bike down, towards the end of the season he sat and listened and he used all the help and experience the older risers could give him and boy did it make a difference in the last 4 meetings. He came out of the traps like a dog after the hare. So if he listens and uses the help they can give him, he will get there, no use stuggling along on your own as you sometimes only get worse and you have then some very bad habits that are hard to break.

Riders can only ride in the SWC for the country who issue their passport. Lambert, as far as i know, is British and has no claim on a German passport. He, like everyone else, can't simply change nationality

rune holta did a pretty good job of flitting back and fore between norwegen and polish depending on whether it was the gp's or wtc and hasn't there been more recently a switch with a latvian/ russian so it would seem it can happen on a licence not just a passport.

i agree my first time seeing him and boy he can race. Can't gate for toffee but then again neither could Loram

he's in a totally different era to loram . even in the elite league you can get away with missing the start and still have a chance of getting passed into second or even first but in sweden, poland, w.t.c and the gp's he wouldn't do it. he needs to learn how to gate now or will have a very tough time at the top, bomber is a prime example.

rune holta did a pretty good job of flitting back and fore between norwegen and polish depending on whether it was the gp's or wtc and hasn't there been more recently a switch with a latvian/ russian so it would seem it can happen on a licence not just a passport.

No it can't. It really cannot not. Even if you imagined it. Rune Holta was born in Norway and had a Norweigan passport and a Norweigan license. He then moved to Poland, eventually after living their long enough he was able to take out Polish citizenship which entitled him to a Polish passport only then could he ride for Poland in the SWC. He did NOT flit back to Norway ever, once he was Polish thats what he was and now is.

His license makes sod all difference. He could take out a German, Latvian, American or Argentinian license and he'd still be Polish and the only country he can ride for in the SWC is Poland.

You ride in the GPs for the country that provides you with your license though. So you could have a German license but a British passport, so you'd ride for GB in the SWC. I'm not sure why it matters what license someone has though as even if a Brit had a German license and won a GP they'd still play the British National anthem as the rider would be British.

Who is this rider that switched between Latvian and Russian? Greg Laguta, both in Russis and married to a Latvia woman and living in Latvia tried to get Latvia citizenship but failed the tests. As a result of that he couldn't get a passport so the only country he can ride for in the SWC is Russia, he cannot chose to ride for Latvia, even if he has a Latvia license (which he may, or may not have, I have no idea and I doubt anyone knows what license most riders have as they have no relevance to anything)

Rory Schlein rode in the 2014 SEC qualifiers as the ACU (GB) representative but he's still an Australian and cannot ride for GB in the SWC, only Australia - unless he applies for British citizenship and a passport.

Changing your Nationality is NOT a speedway thing either. It's up to the country who they allow citizenship to. I'm guessing the Germans are quite picky.

Edited by SCB

How does Lambert match up to what Woffinden was doing at his age ?

My opinion is that Lambert is better than Woffinden at 16

No it can't. It really cannot not. Even if you imagined it. Rune Holta was born in Norway and had a Norweigan passport and a Norweigan license. He then moved to Poland, eventually after living their long enough he was able to take out Polish citizenship which entitled him to a Polish passport only then could he ride for Poland in the SWC. He did NOT flit back to Norway ever, once he was Polish thats what he was and now is.

His license makes sod all difference. He could take out a German, Latvian, American or Argentinian license and he'd still be Polish and the only country he can ride for in the SWC is Poland.

You ride in the GPs for the country that provides you with your license though. So you could have a German license but a British passport, so you'd ride for GB in the SWC. I'm not sure why it matters what license someone has though as even if a Brit had a German license and won a GP they'd still play the British National anthem as the rider would be British.

Who is this rider that switched between Latvian and Russian? Greg Laguta, both in Russis and married to a Latvia woman and living in Latvia tried to get Latvia citizenship but failed the tests. As a result of that he couldn't get a passport so the only country he can ride for in the SWC is Russia, he cannot chose to ride for Latvia, even if he has a Latvia license (which he may, or may not have, I have no idea and I doubt anyone knows what license most riders have as they have no relevance to anything)

Rory Schlein rode in the 2014 SEC qualifiers as the ACU (GB) representative but he's still an Australian and cannot ride for GB in the SWC, only Australia - unless he applies for British citizenship and a passport.

Changing your Nationality is NOT a speedway thing either. It's up to the country who they allow citizenship to. I'm guessing the Germans are quite picky.

Does that mean it can? ;):)

Seem to remember something about this concerning Simon Wigg riding on a Dutch licence and wanting insisting the British national anthem played....

There is though the complicated situation with Kylmäkorpi who has dual citizenship.Both Swedish + Finnish.Has appeared for Finland in the SWC and has also been named in Swedish squads though he hasn't so far ridden.But it got a little heated last year when he was named as the wc for the Finnish GP against the wishes of the Finnish federation I think.They had their man and the promoter had his.Maybe that is why this year there is supposed to be a quali meeting.But I still don't think he can swap at will each season riding for a different team

Edited by iris123

Andy Smith rode on a Polish licence for a good while...whatever licence you ride on doesn't just allow you to ride for that country..

Lambert is English and England are the country he is eligible to ride for

• Like 1

My opinion is that Lambert is better than Woffinden at 16

Watching Woffy at 16 ,he was very controlled and stylish you knew he was going places Personaly I am not convinced with Lambert.Just my opinion and wish him the best of luck through his career and will be happy to be proved wrong.

I remember Tai Woffinden being in the pits at Claremont in Perth from a tiny kid when his dad was riding.....then years later I saw Tai was heading over here and I didn't think much of it...I was keen to see how he did but I thought he'd be a run of the mill rider, maybe a bit better than his dad given time !

...but I'd never seen him ride....I saw him on Sky for Rye House when he must have been 16 and I was gobsmacked...not just because he was good but because he gated in one race and completely slowed it down to team ride his partner for a 5-1.....fron then I knew he could be something special...I didn't think he'd be world champion but who can tell at that age anyway....

I don't think Lambert has impressed me as much as Tai , but I do think he's very good with a great chance of doing really well.