British Speedway Forum
sommelier

Rob Lambert Our Next British Hope?

I believe what Lambert achieved last year is quite remarkable. With him coming in to the main body of the team and ending up with over a five point average and claiming a paid maximum in his first year was outstanding. In my opinion apart from Mike Lee. Emil and possibly Ward I have not seen a better sixteen year old!

Morten Risager was better at 16 IMO. Look at him now! Not even as good as he was at 16

You can never tell what level a rider will reach but Lambert started at as high a level as anyone has. I'm always afraid that those who find professional sports all too easy, can go off the rails or lose interest, as the initial challenge fades. So far I've been very impressed with Young Lambert, I would have been even happier if he had made clear his nationality allegiance earlier. As long as his heart remains in it, he'll get to the top, with such a wonderfully supportive family and his natural ability, how can he fail?

• Like 1

You can never tell what level a rider will reach but Lambert started at as high a level as anyone has. I'm always afraid that those who find professional sports all too easy, can go off the rails or lose interest, as the initial challenge fades. So far I've been very impressed with Young Lambert, I would have been even happier if he had made clear his nationality allegiance earlier. As long as his heart remains in it, he'll get to the top, with such a wonderfully supportive family and his natural ability, how can he fail?

Very well said, i totally agree with you

He has all the raw materials required accept the ability to gate. If he can get that right and keep a level head on his shoulders he can go as far as he likes in the sport, injuries permitting of course. Last year was a good solid start for him, hope to see him progress a bit more this season and make a big impression in the PL.

It is always very difficult to predict what lies in store for a rider showing early promise. I first watched Rob doing a series of 4 laps outings at Rye House when he was 14. These were timed and at one meeting were faster than some recorded in the main match. Then, on the other hand, Steve Boxall was equally impressive at a similar age and, look at David Howe as a youngster riding for Peterborough. It isn't just natural ability but a determination to succeed, and proof following the career of one Ivan Mauger, a rider having not that much natural talent but an iron hardness to be the best. The same could be said of Ove Fundin.

So, how will Robert do? He has a great family support around him and appears very mature - an interview at Rye House at the age of 14 verifies this. Personally, I think he could go the whole way.

• Like 4

Morten Risager was better at 16 IMO. Look at him now! Not even as good as he was at 16

Rubbish!Lambert might go on and fail,i personally think he has every chance of doing very well indeed Risager was decent but please Risager is a poor example SCB.

It is always very difficult to predict what lies in store for a rider showing early promise. I first watched Rob doing a series of 4 laps outings at Rye House when he was 14. These were timed and at one meeting were faster than some recorded in the main match. Then, on the other hand, Steve Boxall was equally impressive at a similar age and, look at David Howe as a youngster riding for Peterborough. It isn't just natural ability but a determination to succeed, and proof following the career of one Ivan Mauger, a rider having not that much natural talent but an iron hardness to be the best. The same could be said of Ove Fundin.

So, how will Robert do? He has a great family support around him and appears very mature - an interview at Rye House at the age of 14 verifies this. Personally, I think he could go the whole way.

Let's hope that you are right. There is precious little to cheer about in British Speedway these days.

There is at my club, can't wait for the season to start for our great team including Robert 😊

Rubbish!Lambert might go on and fail,i personally think he has every chance of doing very well indeed Risager was decent but please Risager is a poor example SCB.

Risager averaged 5.81 in the EL riding as a second string all year. Robert Lambert got 6.04. So about 0.20 of a point between them. But Lambert had 4 rides a meeting against NL riders. Risager was competing against Olly Allen, Davey Watt, Ricky Ashworth, Dan Davidsson, Lyons, Walasek, Zorro, Kelv, Andy Smith. He had no easy rides, where as Lambert was basically offered 4 points by beating NL riders.

Risager is a brilliant example of a rider who was raved about at 15 and 16 but by 21 had failed and been moved around half the EL (I think he's had spells at Coventry, Eastbourne, BV, Ipswich and Peterborough by then before going on to also ride for Swindon and Lynn in the EL)

Edited by SCB

Risager averaged 5.81 in the EL riding as a second string all year. Robert Lambert got 6.04. So about 0.20 of a point between them. But Lambert had 4 rides a meeting against NL riders. Risager was competing against Olly Allen, Davey Watt, Ricky Ashworth, Dan Davidsson, Lyons, Walasek, Zorro, Kelv, Andy Smith. He had no easy rides, where as Lambert was basically offered 4 points by beating NL riders.

Risager is a brilliant example of a rider who was raved about at 15 and 16 but by 21 had failed and been moved around half the EL (I think he's had spells at Coventry, Eastbourne, BV, Ipswich and Peterborough by then before going on to also ride for Swindon and Lynn in the EL)

A poor example have a rethink ? you yourself do you rate Lambert or not? forget the stats and figures and age Risager was not in the same league at the same stage. Edited by sidney

Genuine question SCB - was Risager riding in the Danish league at the same time? or any other league? If he was he had an advantage. Lambert because of intransigent rules/ruling body could only ride in one league.

• Like 1

Genuine question SCB - was Risager riding in the Danish league at the same time? or any other league? If he was he had an advantage. Lambert because of intransigent rules/ruling body could only ride in one league.

Robert has done a fair bit in Germany

Robert has done a fair bit in Germany

I realise that but it's not exactly on a par with Denmark/Sweden GB IMHO.

• Like 1

Im guessing he was riding in Denmark. But Robert has raced in Germany for 2 seasons.

I see Sidneys at it again too. Uses averages yet when you use them decided they don't matter. It's all about opinion.

At 16 I and many others rated Risager highly. He was beating better riders than Lambert was last year.

None of this means I don't rate Lambert but let's not gloss over how good Risager was at 16, or even David Howe!