British Speedway Forum
Super Blue

Ipswich V Rye House 26-3-15

Nielsen looked the better rider on the night, his machinery let him down otherwise he would have been the match winner for the Witches.

Covatti popped out and won a couple but came last in his other heats, didn't look like a bloke who finished 5th in a GP challenge to me.

EVERYONE deserves a run out at the start of the season. the more you muck em around , the less performance you get. its just the start of the season..good god..

But why do they deserve it? if the start of the season of different to the rest then surely admission costs should be less as they not taking it seriously?

• Like 1

Actually I think you will find in most professional sports, if you drop someone, they normally perform better next time, cos no one likes to be dropped. Again, in most professional sports, it wouldn't matter when in the season it is, they would try to do the best they can to win.

Wonder what odds you'd have got on the result of heat 15 too having just looked at it.

Heeps first, Aspegren second with King and Kennett third and last! Not many would have predicted that.

Kennett frequently comes 3rd or last in heat 15, so no surprise

Kennett frequently comes 3rd or last in heat 15, so no surprise

But probably in a stronger looking heat than Saturday? I appreciate that Heeps was riding very well on the night, but in a race featuring him, Aspegren King and Kennett it's still a surprise to me to see the two EL boys battling for the single point.

But probably in a stronger looking heat than Saturday? I appreciate that Heeps was riding very well on the night, but in a race featuring him, Aspegren King and Kennett it's still a surprise to me to see the two EL boys battling for the single point.

Perhaps Danny was aware you only needed a 4-2 for the point and was just content to keep Edward at the back

There's also the possibility that the team manager had a change in mind also, but for reasons not known to any of us didn't/couldn't make that change.

Unless you're right there in the thick of the action, it's impossible to know why some changes did or didn't happen during meetings.

No doubt sometimes managers miss a trick or two, but also I'm sure there are times when some decisions look baffling to us sitting in the stands, but make perfect sense down in the pits.

Exactly. Unless you are in the pits, you don't know whether riders want to go out, or even have a warmed up bike that's legal at the stage of the meeting, or are in the toilet. :D At this stage of the season, you try to get the win, but riders have to be given rides for them to pick up the form for the rest of the season. If you take riders out, and they are in the doldrums for a little while, the same folks are complaining about the rider not being given the opportunities to get form. TM's are alway wrong BTW.

Actually I think you will find in most professional sports, if you drop someone, they normally perform better next time, cos no one likes to be dropped. Again, in most professional sports, it wouldn't matter when in the season it is, they would try to do the best they can to win.

But it does in Speedway, when friendlies precede the League. In Football, they take some decent players off to look after them for the rest of the season, and give other players pitch time. Both practices are right, and Speedway does not usually compare with Football.

Edited by Tsunami

This wasn't a friendly, it's part of the league cup, if it was a friendly then fair enough, but it's one of 3 titles up for grabs. And I've been in the pits when it's all going on many many times, but on this occasion i just think it was an opportunity missed by the team manager, but like the team manager is can be wrong.

Edited by baldyman
  • Like 1

Baldyman

It was also a no brainer to put Covatti in heat 1 to get him used to a track he had never seen before....but he wasn't there....IMO Manzares and Nielsen had both been riding well especially Stefan and we needed to avoid last places in thatheat which both had achieved consistently during the evening....It didn't work out...Move on....Brendan Rodgers brought on Steven Gerrard on Sunday to change a game....it didn't work...move on

So they put Gerrard on to try and change the game? Exactly my point,, okay it didn't work but they tried.

Anyway way like you say, it's time to move on.

Lets hope the very ample Carol Kirkwood has got her timings right? If it stops at lunchtime Bob might be able to get on his tractor this afternoon and work his magic.

Well the promised morning rain is definitely here , it's bleeding miserable out at the moment !

Will keep everyone updated as the day progresses as all I have on my agenda today is to unwrap presents , have a nice meal lunchtime and go to Speedway tonight .