British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

King's Lynn V Lakeside Tues 31st Sky 7.30

That must be the most ridiculous statement I've seen posted on the forum. I suggest you go and tell the riders that...........

They, the riders, will not perform on a strip if they don't feel confident with, merely go through the motions....

What's ridiculous about it? Fans pay their money to be entertained and that is what riders are supposed to do. If they don't like it they should find another profession to ensure there are still fans left!

With your last sentence I can only deduce that the riders didn't feel confident on the track last night because they didn't perform :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Yet again first things first, I said a million times the biggest mistake on sky tv matches is showing teams not on there regular race night . it's hard enough to get speedway fans to come when it's on tv but even harder off there regular race night ...Still after all this time they still not sorted this out and then we are left with a poor crowd that make the sport look poor even before the racing has started .

There - no

Their - yes

Edited by Midland Red

Lets dissect this one.

Have a problem? Well yes, its you. See your signature. It's a pathetic dig. But time and time again we see a dodgy Lynn track on Sky and you defending. Quelle surprise here you are again.

It was more than "one rider comes off" - the track was poor. How many times in 15 heats did we actually see a rider pass enough because he was better? You admit yourself on this occasion it was, "processional". What?! So was it good ro bad? You have a go at me for saying it's bad then describe it as "processional" - thats out of the starman book of "disproving your own argument". Now despite the meeting being "processional" we saw half a dozen passes because riders were making mistakes, EL riders making mistakes, Jonsson, Bech and Nilsson - all capable riders, all SWC riders for proper speedway Nations so World Class riders all making mistakes and letting Lynn riders through.

While I agree with you on most occasions,you would have thought the likes of Lambert,Morris and Ellis would be making the mistakes and not SWC riders like you mentioned.These riders should have the experience to ride most tracks and yet these youngsters showed them how to ride the track.They have the experience to find the correct set ups but failed to do so.

• Like 2

I know exactly what you all mean about processional racing as I watched the coverage tonight on TV.

Luckily I saw the meeting live so was close to the action, seeing how fast the riders are racing and of course willing my team onto the win. You cannot appreciate on TV the speed these guys are riding their bikes at, how little time they have to make decisions, how hard they hit the deck when they fall off etc!

There is NOTHING like live speedway, particularly at a track where u can get close to the track ☺

What's ridiculous about it? Fans pay their money to be entertained and that is what riders are supposed to do. If they don't like it they should find another profession to ensure there are still fans left!

With your last sentence I can only deduce that the riders didn't feel confident on the track last night because they didn't perform :rolleyes:

It's laughable isn't. The sport isn't for the riders, it's for the fans. We're constantly told the riders do it for the fans (HaHa!) but now we're being told it's done for the riders. Well fine, make the tracks for the riders, lets the riders love it and the fans hate it.The fans will stop going, the riders will have to stop being paid and we'll see how many speedway meeting there are then!

While I agree with you on most occasions,you would have thought the likes of Lambert,Morris and Ellis would be making the mistakes and not SWC riders like you mentioned.These riders should have the experience to ride most tracks and yet these youngsters showed them how to ride the track.They have the experience to find the correct set ups but failed to do so.

To some extent I agree. Lambert, as I have said else where just seemed to take the poor track in his stride and I don't think he once put a wheel wrong - it was an superb performance. But Ellis made a few mistakes and Morris didn't exactly look comfortable and looked to me like a guy who was hanging on for dear life - what I will say about young Morris though is in the past I've critisized him for the fact I had never seen him move from thje kerb - he spent almost every lap mid-track to wide yesterday.

Edited by SCB

I know exactly what you all mean about processional racing as I watched the coverage tonight on TV.

Luckily I saw the meeting live so was close to the action, seeing how fast the riders are racing and of course willing my team onto the win. You cannot appreciate on TV the speed these guys are riding their bikes at, how little time they have to make decisions, how hard they hit the deck when they fall off etc!

There is NOTHING like live speedway, particularly at a track where u can get close to the track ☺

Unluckily I also saw the meeting live!!

I'm pretty sure we can all appreciate the speed they go at and how little time they have to make decisions and how hard they hit the deck etc because on TV you get a clear view of the action! :rolleyes:

What you don't get on TV is the smell or the atmosphere but it looked like there wasn't any atmosphere last night!

Your choice................. same as all the other whingers!

What really worries me is that promoters at tracks these days have this exact same attitude. You're right, the fans and paying public do have a choice. Quite clearly, they're not choosing to attend meetings at the moment and seeing matches like that last night isn't going to help the problem. First match of the season on sky last night, casual viewers may have noticed it was on, no interest in the england friendly and think they'll have a look to see if its worth watching. After seeing what was served up last night, will many bother looking out for further fixtures? I highly doubt it.

Yes I know Lakeside were god awful. If that was the first quite crap meeting we've seen from KL recently, I'm sure people wouldn't have been so vocal about the track at all, but unfortunately its not the first time at all. It seems to be a recurring theme and the thing that irks me the most (and this is the same at all track/events), is that there always seems to be an excuse. Rain, wind, crap riders, sky schedule, stock cars. The sport cannot afford to be making excuses for its self these days, it needs to get its act together now. The track wasn't particularly dangerous/choppy/grippy/slick/wet/dry last night, we've all seen far far worse, it was just so so boring, and it has been at KL for a while now. Im sure Buster is a great track man and does wonders in adverse conditions, but theres just something in the way that that track is prepped at the moment that is really not conducive to close racing and passing there at the moment. Most seasoned speedway fans know that Saddlebrow has produced some great racing over the years, I wonder if the techniques or materials used there are just not suitable for the way the bike are these days. We've heard many times that the new, quieter silencers these days don't respond particularly well to deep or grippy tracks, maybe thats a problem that needs to be looked at from a track prep angle. Just sticking your fingers in ears and pretending everything is fine, isn't going to work.

Rob Lambert was superb last night, credit to him, but…and i say this whilst reaching for my tin hat…When you see a world class rider with the experience of AJ, seemingly completely unable to mount any sort of challenge, or try any different kind of line to attempt to make up some ground or a pass, on a 16 year old kid….that does indicate to me that something is not quite right with the track conditions.

This isn't a problem just with Kings Lynn, its a much wider problem with the sport in this country at the moment, KL just happen to be providing more evidence of the problem at this particular time. People seem to attend speedway meetings or watch meetings on the tele these days on the off chance that they'll see something entertaining. People's patience is clearly running thin, so the problem needs to be sorted out as soon as possible.

• Like 3

I think that if fans were to rate the Elite league tracks from 1 being the best to 8 being the worst most would still have Kings Lynn at one. .Doesn't say much for the rest ! maybe the reason the sport is struggling so badly.

Not sure I agree with that, although not the easiest track to ride Wolverhampton always used to be well prepared and had a reasonable amount of dirt on it.

I think that if fans were to rate the Elite league tracks from 1 being the best to 8 being the worst most would still have Kings Lynn at one. .Doesn't say much for the rest ! maybe the reason the sport is struggling so badly.

And the moon is made of cheese!

No way would I have KL at 1

Not sure I agree with that, although not the easiest track to ride Wolverhampton always used to be well prepared and had a reasonable amount of dirt on it.

Wolves has been my #1 EL track for a long time. And before Peterborough dropped down that was #2. Two completely contract yet almost equally brilliant tracks. These days It's Wolves, Poole (even with it's bumps, as at last there is racing/passing) and BV as the top 3 (BV has come on loads the last 2 seasons) while Lynn has probably slumped into the bottom 4 with Coventry, Leicester and Lakeside. Leaves Swindon in 4th as a pretty average and run of the mill track that can be both brilliant and naff on any given day.

Lets dissect this one.

Have a problem? Well yes, its you. See your signature. It's a pathetic dig. But time and time again we see a dodgy Lynn track on Sky and you defending. Quelle surprise here you are again.

It was more than "one rider comes off" - the track was poor. How many times in 15 heats did we actually see a rider pass enough because he was better? You admit yourself on this occasion it was, "processional". What?! So was it good ro bad? You have a go at me for saying it's bad then describe it as "processional" - thats out of the starman book of "disproving your own argument". Now despite the meeting being "processional" we saw half a dozen passes because riders were making mistakes, EL riders making mistakes, Jonsson, Bech and Nilsson - all capable riders, all SWC riders for proper speedway Nations so World Class riders all making mistakes and letting Lynn riders through.

Woah, don't turn this on other tracks. Other tracks don't have someone like you who constantly comes on here and in the face of a crap meetings tells us the track is brilliant. Doesn't have the team captain tell us no Sky before a meeting how great the track is before producing that dirge. You're right, there are plenty of other crap tracks but we all know that. We don't keep on about how great and wonderful they are.

Frankly, I don't care how many holes and track does or doesn't have. How much shale. How much water. The weather. The trackmans inside leg measurement. I base a good track on one where there is passing because the passing rider has sued his skill to pass the rider in front of him. It's a long time since I've seen that from a meeting at Kings Lynn. It's got to the point a meeting from Kings Lynn on Sky now makes me think, "meh, so what" rather than the "brilliant I thought years ago. But many people have been critical of Poole and Coventry many times over. It's know they both have serious issues, we don't come on here defending the indefensible.

Lynn was NOT "smooth and consistent" yesterday. LMAO. If you're going to post lies like that then there is little point in conversing. Did you see how the top class riders were struggling with bend 2?

As for the last line. The track was the same for everyone but to Lambert credit he is the one rider who never once looked like he was struggling with it. He just carried on as normal, very impressive.

What a wonderful black and white world you live in. Such division of right and wrong. It appears in your eyes that because the meeting was poor then the track has to be rubbish. Usually, one takes in all the contributing factors, before reaching such a damning conclusions, but to you its obvious the track that's at fault.

Such was the weather on Tuesday, this meeting would have been cancelled had it not been for Sky. The winds and the rain were torrential, and hampered all the preparation not only the track but also the television broadcast... To me they all did a great job, one I wouldn't envy. No the meeting wasn't the best, but at least they tried and fulfilled their obligation. Trying to race in those conditions, most of the riders should be praised for their efforts.....

So yes, given those conditions, the track was smooth and consistent.. ........AJ actually said he thought the track was very good considering......

Its very easy to come to rash conclusion when things don't go as planned. I try to look at the wider picture. Some taking a negative approach will say, yeah the track was crap because someone fell off, whereas I look at it from a positive point and look at all those who didn't fall off. They were the ones who race with the right attitude.

You must remember, even given a best race track anywhere , and best conditions available, IF the riders doesn't want to race, the track, doesn't all of a sudden become rubbish, is still that same good venue...

One thing puzzles me ?? If it was that bad and you were so bored why didn't you switch off or watch the football ????????

PS. As for the signature, it was never meant as a 'pathetic dig', it was placed here as an allocade that was bestowed by experts as to the status of the track. As it offends you I will remove it...

II try to look at the wider picture. Some taking a negative approach will say, yeah the track was crap because someone fell off, whereas I look at it from a positive point and look at all those who didn't fall off. They were the ones who race with the right attitude.

If you look at the wider picture, you'll see that the meetings from Lynn on sky over recent seasons have been absolutely dire. This is despite lots of people claiming at certain times that conditions are perfect for racing. We've seen plenty of good racing over the years in crap conditions or with rubbish teams at different tracks when you really weren't expecting much entertainment. So what's the common denominator recently with meetings at Saddlebrow??

Judging how good a meeting is by how few riders fall off? Imagine the high-5s dished out amongst the sky production crew last night. Yeeha.

So what's the common denominator ..................

Too many armchair experts and whingers all of whom have never been near a speedway bike or been involved in track prep................ but they still know it all.

• Like 3

I was in the Rye Pub watching it with Len Silver. He couldn't believe how poorly Kennett was. When you're struggling to keep up with Ashley Morris you know you're having a bad night

Good to hear you and Len have settled your differences and are best of friends again Shads. Can't beat hobnobbing with speedway's top brass

Too many armchair experts and whingers all of whom have never been near a speedway bike or been involved in track prep................ but they still know it all.

I never murdered anyone either but I know it's bad to do it. I also cannot design and build a car but I know a Kia Picanto is rubbish compared to a Lotus Elise.

TBH, you don't need to know anything about track to know if meetings are crap.