British Speedway Forum
weatherwatcher

How Many More Riders Are Getting To Get Injured Before It Even Starts

When you see the lengths that F1 have went to to produce a better product over the years why can't speedway put in measures to slow the sport down and still have competitive racing.Alot of the young riders today just don't have the control of the bike,it's taking them round.Barker was unlucky IMO he realised he was too fast on the outside pulled a locker but I'm sure the back wheel just touch the air fence which caused the bike to "stand up" and he high sided .But in general the bikes are to fast nowadays Imo

Ps

Great laydown by Ludvig to miss Ben .Not so sure that some of today's younger riders have the skills required in these situations.

• Like 2

yea.. lets get rid of the bikes and be left with the 1% of raw talent. the we could invent a new sport called , spot the fans. oh, maybe not. we already have that.

its racing, its dangerous and in a town near you. live with it and SUPPORT it.

OR LOSE IT. your choice.

but just remember the next time you get a takeaway, it could kill you..

yea.. lets get rid of the bikes and be left with the 1% of raw talent. the we could invent a new sport called , spot the fans. oh, maybe not. we already have that.its racing, its dangerous and in a town near you. live with it and SUPPORT it.OR LOSE IT. your choice.but just remember the next time you get a takeaway, it could kill you..

You have not explained why we already have spot the fans in this sport as it is. Edited by Fromafar

The Bikes are a big part of the trouble.

I am convinced of that.

In terms of mph there is not a lot of difference between 2015 and 1975 so what do you base your conviction that bikes are the problem on. I am not saying you are right or wrong but wonder what you think is the probkem

In terms of mph there is not a lot of difference between 2015 and 1975 so what do you base your conviction that bikes are the problem on. I am not saying you are right or wrong but wonder what you think is the probkem

I think it is because they modified the tracks to suit the bikes instead of leaving the dirt on and letting the riders set up bikes to suit tracks with dirt.They would soon have had to detune them ,the racing would still have been as good (only my opinion)

A blind man can see that the number of injuries has increased in the last 4 seasons.Just look at the amount of guests used by all clubs in all leagues in the track reviews in the Star,how many riders now go through a season without a spell on the sidelines.Just look at the top level of the GP,Hancock,Iversen,Woffinden,Holder,Ward,Kasprazak, and Sayfitudinov,all suffering serious injuries in the past few years,and these guys are the best.

I think you're wrong and tomorrow I'll run off the stats that show how many guests have been use in the PL and EL for the last 4 seasons. Taking away any missing for doubling up reasons. I'm willing to be the difference is negligible.

I think there are more injuries today, but not as many more as we think. Social media bring all to our attention, not just the ones close to us in our team and league. I also think airfences are part of the cause... They have given the riders the excuse to over ride, a sort of licence to try moves they wouldn't try with a wooden or metal safety fence, and the bikes are definatley harder to ride, especially in deep dirt out near the fence, then suddenly, they are back on the gripless slick. The modern race suits have not helped with burns and abrasive injuries and to cap it all off, the bikes are I would say a second or two faster per lap, don't sound a lot, but add 4-8 seconds onto a race time and it's significant...

Edited by Shale Searcher

Yes and engine development has kept marching on......to get more power the revs have been increased, flywheels lightened.and strokes shortened.....most riders are now using motors that a few years ago would have been only considered a Long Track motor...... IMO.... this has complicated things... particulary teams that dont have the resources to match motors to tracks and conditions..... In the days of two valve Jawas a different cam was used to get to the first corner in the Spring...... as summer arrived cam change for maxium straight speed......was quite good racing too!

With Air Fence now in place at every track riders do try more risky moves which i am sure many appreciate but with that risk comes reward but also bad injuries and more of them.

I don't think the bikes are the problem, yes they are quick but more often than not it is the rider trying way to hard and get all out of shape and often it is the same riders getting injured over and over.

Agreed, if we get rid of the bikes we will eliminate 99% of crashes.

I am convinced of that.

Typical Post from you Blazeaway.

Contributes nothing to what was developing in to a very interesting discussion.

You know what I meant.

In the last 40 years mph has only increased slightly. On a bigger track like say Sheffield 40 years ago they would hit the bends at 60 - 65 mph, now its probably 65 - 70 mph. Fall off a motorbike at either 60 or 65 and it hurts pretty much the same.

We see very few (thankfully) fatalities nowadays largely due to helmet technology and no lighting standards in close proximity, coupled with air fences.

We do possibly see more damage to limbs, largely because modern race suits and armour don't afford the same protection as an old set of leathers.

A modern bike though revs massively more than its 1970s counterpart and thanks to short stroke motors with super lightweight flywheels and modern silencers has a very limited (zero) power band, it will only really work at max revs, throttle control is a thing of the past, the bike needs to on the stop.

On a slick super smooth track these machines are so much easier (and safer) to ride but they have little torque so when the rear wheel hits resistance in the form of grip rather than ride through it it will grab the wheel and send the bike lifting and pointing all wrong. A long stroke motor with a normal flywheel can get through these conditions but it takes longer to get to peak revs

• Like 3

I think you're wrong and tomorrow I'll run off the stats that show how many guests have been use in the PL and EL for the last 4 seasons. Taking away any missing for doubling up reasons. I'm willing to be the difference is negligible.

I agree entirely with you SCB (and I wrote the article in the Star analysing guests). One of the things that struck me was that Lewis Blackbird was the only rider to miss more than one third of his EL fixtures due to injury.

Typical Post from you Blazeaway.

Contributes nothing to what was developing in to a very interesting discussion.

You know what I meant.

Oh I don't know. It gave me a smile but obviously I've got a warped sense of humour. :lol:

• Like 3