British Speedway Forum
Bryn

I Wonder Why....

Given the fact that nowadays it's regarded as a real 'no-no' for riders to let alcoholic beverages pass their lips, I do indeed wonder why the top three in any Individual meeting are handed bottles of Champagne as they stand on the podium! ;):)

Edited by Bryn

I agree.

Given speedway's target market, maybe they should spray bottles of carbonated energy beverage at one another?

• Like 1

The first part of your statement isn't true. Riders are welcome to drink as much as they like as long as they don't turn up to race under the influence. The fact that some riders are in favour of total abstinence is down to personal choice.

Ever since my first motor sport hero, Dan Gurney, started the fashion for spraying champagne at Le Mans in 1967 it's been about the show biz and not the alcohol.

• Like 4

Presumably after the rostrum, riders either walk back to the pits or get a lift before any laps of celebration?!

The first part of your statement isn't true. Riders are welcome to drink as much as they like as long as they don't turn up to race under the influence. The fact that some riders are in favour of total abstinence is down to personal choice.

Ever since my first motor sport hero, Dan Gurney, started the fashion for spraying champagne at Le Mans in 1967 it's been about the show biz and not the alcohol

Given your response to my original posting which was intended to be a little lighthearted Mr Jones hence the smillies, perhaps you'd be kind enough to define your understanding as to what would constitute a rider turning up to race 'under the influence'

As to car racing personally it is of no interest to me as, rightly or wrongly, my own perception of it is that it's down to who has the best car in any race rather than the driver's capabilities.

Edited by Bryn
  • Like 2

Given your response to my original posting which was intended to be a little lighthearted Mr Jones hence the smillies, perhaps you'd be kind enough to define your understanding as to what would constitute a rider turning up to race 'under the influence'

As to car racing personally it is of no interest to me as, rightly or wrongly, my own perception of it is that it's down to who has the best car in any race rather than the driver's capabilities.

The driving skill is to be able to understand and make the best use of what the car provides. An inexperienced driver in a top F! car woud be beaten by a leading star in what might be termed "NOT the best car."

Edited by Guest

What amuses me is when the rider on the rostrum is under 18 and they still get champagne (well cheap fizzy wine anyway)

• Like 1

I agree.

Given speedway's target market, maybe they should spray bottles of carbonated energy beverage at one another?

or Old Speckled Hen!!

• Like 1

Yje driving skill is to be able to understand and make the best use of what the car provides. An inexperienced driver in a top F! car woud be beaten by a leading star in what might be termed "NOT the best car."

Surely that's pure speculation on your part isn't it "gustix?' Each to their own as they say though but personally I find car racing boring.

I couldn't agree more. Best car wins and he Racing is generally boring. I have really tried to enjoy watching it but have, on occasions, ended up asleep.

Not my bag I'm afraid - but - each to his own.

The rostrum and prize-giving is meant to be a celebration and Champagne is the drink of celebration. The riders don't actually have to drink it if they don't wish to. I'm actually upset that anyone suggests soft drinks.

The rostrum and prize-giving is meant to be a celebration and Champagne is the drink of celebration. The riders don't actually have to drink it if they don't wish to. I'm actually upset that anyone suggests soft drinks.

Hic - sho am I. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure::blink:

Edited by The White Knight
  • Like 5

In my opinion, Bryn, if a rider states that he's not under the affluence of incohol that should be taken at face value! :drink::icon_smile_clown:

• Like 1

In my opinion, Bryn, if a rider states that he's not under the affluence of incohol that should be taken at face value! :drink::icon_smile_clown:

Surely that should be 'off his face' value?! :drink::cheers::D

• Like 2