British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Super Blue

Ipswich Witches V Somerset Rebels 9-4-15 @ 7-30pm

Really, I was under the impression IPSWICH thought they could just turn up last night and would walk it, that was of course until Louis and TUNGATE looked over the fence and saw the track.

Don't write teams off too early, some take a few matches to get going and I was quite impressed with Somerset the other week.

Tungate normally goes well at the showground but you're right, he was never going to fancy that last night. I think even more of a problem was Hawkins.

I know he comes from Peterborough and was tempted to give it a go, but would he have declared himself ready if he knew the track was going to be like that?

He clearly wasn't fit and it turned in to a foolish decision. Hawkins' scores at the showground last season were 5+4, 5+2 and 5+1 so he's normally good for 5 points.

If he managed that last night that's a 10 point swing in the scores and it suddenly doesn't look quite as bad.

If my Auntie had balls and all that I know, but there were reasons the defeat was such a heavy one.

I think everyone from the Witches camp were caught off guard by the conditions.

I just hope there is plenty of dirt on the track ;) Home win is a dead cert...

The problem I have is riders like tungate don't even try to give the dirt and try, if he really does have ambitions then he needs to learn how to race on all types of tracks. This is why I can't ever see him being any better than he is now. To counter act that he could be a curb crawler, often the quickest way round towards the end of the meeting, but he doesn't do that either, it's just lap after lap after lap, race after race after race on the only line he ever seems to ride, about 3 to 4 meters from the curb, and that line is hardly ever the best to be on. I know i like to watch proper racers and chasers which doesn't help.

I travel many miles and spend plenty of money watching my team, and it would be nice to see them giving it a good go. As for Thursday, come on you witches.

To be fair to Tungate, to have an average of over 8 after only three seasons in the sport he must be doing something right..

• Like 6

He is doing something right, he scores pretty good at Ipswich where if he gates is fast enough to win plenty of races, if he doesn't gate though, don't expect to see him making many passes, think I've counted 2 genuine ones at foxhall.

He did race speedway bikes before going road racing, so it's more than 3 years really.

Edited by baldyman

I think we'll win, but as has been said we need to stop Somerset picking up the point.

Unfortunately Stefan Nielsen has had two rides for Belle Vue tonight and has two duck eggs to his name.

He's struggling and we need to hope his confidence doesn't take a major nosedive :neutral:

Edit: Make that Three duck eggs. Poor lad is really struggling.

Edited by CardinalSin

Make or break for the Witches.... let's see the response after a poor away performance and tbh Good Friday wasn't too good either...

Wonder what this is about :

@Mike_Bacon: Interesting thoughts from @ipswichspeedway manager Phil Hilton in tomorrow's @ipswichstar24 newspaper @speedwaystarmag

He is doing something right, he scores pretty good at Ipswich where if he gates is fast enough to win plenty of races, if he doesn't gate though, don't expect to see him making many passes, think I've counted 2 genuine ones at foxhall.

He did race speedway bikes before going road racing, so it's more than 3 years really.

He had a dabble riding junior speedway for a couple of years, but he's only been riding competitive speedway in a professional league for three years and in that short time has attained an average over 8. That's impressive.

You don't like watching him, we understand that as you've told us several times.

Oh and he wins plenty of races away from home too, not just at Foxhall.

Edited by Catch22

in 3 years of racing at Workington ,he has won 1 race. that's not plenty.

I'm not saying reaching an average over 8 isn't impressive, cos you could see when he first came over he could attain that type of average. And now it's reached that's where it's roughly going to stay, again which isn't a bad thing. And he can win races away, on certain tracks if the conditions are perfect for him.

Make or break for the Witches.... let's see the response after a poor away performance and tbh Good Friday wasn't too good either...

Wonder what this is about :

@Mike_Bacon: Interesting thoughts from @ipswichspeedway manager Phil Hilton in tomorrow's @ipswichstar24 newspaper @speedwaystarmag

It's probably the normal type of stuff about its early in the season and he has faith in the riders coming good and that sort of thing. That's the normal thing to do after your team has taken a major stuffing and a few riders riding below what they can.

On a plus point, although Stefan didn't score a point tonight, it looks like his bike completed 4 laps 3 times tonight, that's got to be a big plus going forward.

Edited by baldyman

This year he has had 8 races away from Foxhall. ..... 1 win! Covatti has 2!

Only the one win from his first 8 rides away from home? Well that's it then drop him immediately!

Don't think anyone anywhere has mentioned him being dropped.

Does have a total of 42 from his 94 heats that make up his current rolling ave though.....

Is that away or both home and away?