British Speedway Forum
Bryn

Crayford Reunion 13/4/2015

As we were saying...!

::::: The Kent Kings website give this update in regard to possible former Crayford riders who may attend the meeting:

"Special guests from Crayford’s past who’ve confirmed they’ll be attending include five riders from the ‘Class of ‘75’: skipper and New National League Riders Champion that year, Laurie Etheridge; ever-present heat-leader Alan Sage, who hails from Ashford; the hugely popular long-time track record holder at the iconic Crayford Stadium venue, Pete Wigley; Crayford discovery from that first year riding as the Kestrels, Bill Archer; and Alan Johns, the colourful character whose brother Roger rode for Canterbury and in the top division for Wimbledon. Other former Kestrels riders in attendance are the legendary Barry Thomas, who also built the training track at Iwade with his late brother Ivor; Canterbury-born Chris Tritton; the much-travelled Alan Mogridge, who holds the British Speedway record for having ridden for the most clubs in a 25 year-long career; and Les Rumsey, hero of the Kestrels’ National Fours title of 1980."

Crayford stadium iconic? Wembley, yes, but this is artistic licence stretched beyond breaking point!

Maybe not iconic, but a decent stadium by today's standards. The viewing wasn't the best but it had cover all the way around. It also had good food outlets and a connecting railway station with a direct service to Central london. A very user friendly track that I still miss today.

• Like 2

P1928 - does this indicate you will make formal application to join the "famed anti-gustix brigade?" :unsure:

There isn't an "anti-gustix brigade" John.It is just you continuously make imbecilic posts.If you posted in a normal fashion,people will treat you normally.But post like an imbecile and you end up getting treated like one.All quite simple and has been explained a number of times,but you seem to get worse with time

Having only just read this post, this is the first time I am aware that a Crayford Reunion was being organised.

I have not been asked, therefore I have not confirmed. I will not be able to attend and will sadly miss a good catch up.

Hope all goes well and a great evening is had.

A key figure from Crayford speedway history - Alan Mogridge - and he didn't know it was taking place. When was the Reunion idea - the gathering of people - first thought about?

http://wwosbackup.proboards.com/thread/1773/alan-mogridge

I suppose I should be used to the natural position of the average BSF poster: to pour scorn on all the efforts of others but even by those standards this is truly something else.

For your interest (though frankly I've no idea why we should explain ourselves to you) the idea of having former Crayford riders along - with the first priority considering it's the 40th. anniversary of '75 being marked, being the 'Class of '75' - came as soon as it was agreed that the meeting on April 13th. was to be this Invicta pairs meeting.

The Press Release shows who have confirmed their attendance: FIVE members of the '75 team (including THE two most important riders in Crayford's history - I'm sure noone will be offended by such an assertion - Laurie Etheridge and Alan Sage).

Now there appears to be an exception to that statement as Moggo seemingly wasn't aware of his invite. As the person who wrote the Press Release do you honestly think I'd have included Alan M's details in that if I had not been assured by one of the 'team' charged with inviting riders that Moggo had been contacted?

Obviously I've been badly misinformed and to Moggo I profoundly apologise but I'm NOT going to apologise to gustix who indeed owes US an apology for his trouble-making on this thread.

Edited by Parsloes 1928 nearly
  • Like 1

Having only just read this post, this is the first time I am aware that a Crayford Reunion was being organised.

I have not been asked, therefore I have not confirmed. I will not be able to attend and will sadly miss a good catch up.

Same here moggo,I only found out 3 days ago. Sadly not enough time to organise things from my end to attend.

Would have enjoyed a chat with the lads,hope its a great evening.

Same here moggo,I only found out 3 days ago. Sadly not enough time to organise things from my end to attend.

Would have enjoyed a chat with the lads,hope its a great evening.

Crumbs.

Doesn't look good. :sad: :sad: :sad:

You tell me a system then whereby EVERY rider who's ever ridden for a club (who's still alive that is!) can at a stroke be contacted (oh, and then replies back) and we'd have the perfect blueprint for a reunion.

Instead we have contact numbers and sometimes emails and people (often VERY hard pressed already people) contact those who they know of and seek out others.

In the process emails are sent (as to Moggo) and no reply received... Did they receive the email? Did they read it? Am I a mind-reader? And others never get contacted because, er, no-one has details for them.

After all, 'Trap1' on here hasn't even revealed who they are NOW! So quite how they think that'll help them get invited to such reunions in the future I really don't know!

Edited by Parsloes 1928 nearly

Maybe not iconic, but a decent stadium by today's standards. The viewing wasn't the best but it had cover all the way around. It also had good food outlets and a connecting railway station with a direct service to Central london. A very user friendly track that I still miss today.

I happened to be there one night, when and I hope I`m right that the safety fence by the pits wasn`t continuous but had a gap with one section overlapping the other making it safe. someone fell and the bike riderless picked up pace -upright and sped through this gap scattering everyone in the process. It could have been against Milton Keynes when my old mate Barry Allaway was riding for them.

• Like 1

After all, 'Trap1' on here hasn't even revealed who they are NOW! So quite how they think that'll help them get invited to such reunions in the future I really don't know!

Hi 'Trap1', let us know who you are (or if you'd rather, PM me contact details) and, when we organise another get together, you'll be invited.

Rowan.

Edited by 1st bend Kestrel

Hi 'Trap1', let us know who you are (or if you'd rather, PM me contact details) and, when we organise another get together, you'll be invited.

Rowan.

Ask TWK. He knows who trap 1 is. His omission prompted

Crumbs.

Doesn't look good. :sad::sad::sad:

Ask TWK. He knows who trap 1 is. His omission prompted

Crumbs.

Doesn't look good. :sad::sad::sad:

I don't know who Trap 1 is.

My comment regarding the "Crumbs" remark was that I was very, very surprised that someone like Moggo was missed. I do have a little experience organizing Reunions. Myself and a friend organised at least ten annual Reunions for Sunderland Speedway, to the best of my knowledge we never missed anyone, even second halfers. Certainly we did not miss anyone as high profile as Moggo. A tremendous amount of research went in to our early Reunions to find everyone.

The only former Sunderland Rider from the Seventies we could not trace was Alan Mackie.

We even contacted a number of Riders from our 1964 Team....................................

Moggo was NOT "missed" as you put it. I'll leave it to Bryn to explain but he most certainly DID email to the very address only a short time before he was communicating with Moggo.

Moggo was NOT "missed" as you put it. I'll leave it to Bryn to explain but he most certainly DID email to the very address only a short time before he was communicating with Moggo.

That was the impression I got from Moggo's Post. I think anyone else would draw the same conclusion I did. It may be unpalatable to you Parsloes but I defy you to put any other slant on Moggo's comment. (See above)

There may have been some crossed wires somewhere - but - that is not the way the Post reads. The Forum is for comment. I merely commented.