British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
crescent girl

Berwick V Sheffield (pl) Saturday 25th

My concern is do the riders have the equipment and back -up to support themselves when taking all these guest bookings ,these extra bookings could be taking their toll on the equipment ,then our fans will be asked for the collections.Only last season we had a rider who was saying his equipment was not up to scratch!!!!

I think that is a little bit of a "Catch 22" scenario. Clearly every additional meeting (including guest bookings) will take its additional toll on a rider's equipment, but by the same token, the guest booking will also provide additional income that should help the rider to become less dependent on financial support from other sources.

My concern is do the riders have the equipment and back -up to support themselves when taking all these guest bookings ,these extra bookings could be taking their toll on the equipment ,then our fans will be asked for the collections.Only last season we had a rider who was saying his equipment was not up to scratch!!!!

I follow your jist, surely it is up to the management of the club, a) to make sure each rider they employ has equipment fit enough to fulfil it's role , B) when they relaease them to ride for another club it is not at detrement to the parent club,

I think that is a little bit of a "Catch 22" scenario. Clearly every additional meeting (including guest bookings) will take its additional toll on a rider's equipment, but by the same token, the guest booking will also provide additional income that should help the rider to become less dependent on financial support from other sources.

Bang on, it is a catch 22, and at the end of the day they are self employed.

I follow your jist, surely it is up to the management of the club, a) to make sure each rider they employ has equipment fit enough to fulfil it's role , B) when they relaease them to ride for another club it is not at detrement to the parent club,

Bang on, it is a catch 22, and at the end of the day they are self employed.

How dom I get rid of that logo it wont edit it should be 'b)'

Edited by TOURETTES

Big personal disappointment Stead and Bellego not riding, would have really looked forward to their clashes with Bandits top 4. Stead v Barker (when both fully fit etc.) is the type of clash that the Premier League should highlight. Bellego could be brilliant or ordinary around Berwick. Stead was awesome at Berwick last year. really like his riding style. Still a very close meeting call IMO.

The poster who said "Berwick don't do comfortable home wins" certainly had it right! The loss of Stead and Bellego is a disappointment, but hardly Berwick's fault. Sheffield will be tough to beat, should be a close encounter.

A guest booking will bring a rider hundreds of pounds and as a self-employed professional he will always take the money. No club can reasonably refuse permission for him to take such a booking. Clubs allow riders to jet off to Europe every week, and can't say no, this is no different.

I'm not quite sure where this notion that the club should provide the riders with bikes comes from.

Surely it is the riders' responsibility for their equipment?

As far as I am aware, clubs pay riders a fee for every meeting, is that not only to provide a living, but also finance the "tools of their trade"?

I might be getting this completely wrong, of course.

One thing is for sure, riders have been remarkably adept at wooing fans for financial support, which is perfectly understandable.

I'm not quite sure where this notion that the club should provide the riders with bikes comes from.

As far as I am aware, clubs pay riders a fee for every meeting, is that not only to provide a living, but also finance the "tools of their trade"?

One thing is for sure, riders have been remarkably adept at wooing fans for financial support, which is perfectly understandable.

Don't think anyone does think that, but the club should make sure when they sign any rider, that his bikes are competetive, and they can fulfil their role.

• Like 1

Most riders negotiate Signing on fee to cover some mechanical and transport costs I would imagine.I agree it is a"catch 22 "situation .Any money from supporters clubs should just be a bonus.A lot of riders have a knack of pleading poverty though.

• Like 1

I spoke about this with a couple of ex-riders I know. Both said there are usually different deals on offer. Some riders get a signing-on fee at the start of the year, which would allow him to 'tool up' for the season, but comes with an agreed pay rate of so much per point.

Alternatively, the rider might ask for (and get) a much-larger payment per point, but without any signing-on fee.

Either way, the promoter probably on average ends up paying the guy about the same total amount over the year -- although if he has a better-than-expected season and has opted for the higher per-point rate he would do much better financially.

Neither of my friends would have expected a promoter to bail them out over mechanical problems after a deal had been struck, and both said they had been helped by outside sources (sponsors, supporters groups) when they had bigger problems with equipment during their careers.

• Like 1

Agree to a certain degree that riders do have a responsibility to provide the tools of the trade however the club have a duty to the fans to provide a level of entertainment for monies received and as the fans have no contract with the riders then that responsibility falls on said club now we could go into a long drawn out argument about the legal aspect but will save that for another debate. Fans expectation versus riders inability to provide balanced by inability to earn due to lack of funds and those fans not happy with provision of product = legal minefield

Agree to a certain degree that riders do have a responsibility to provide the tools of the trade however the club have a duty to the fans to provide a level of entertainment for monies received and as the fans have no contract with the riders then that responsibility falls on said club now we could go into a long drawn out argument about the legal aspect but will save that for another debate. Fans expectation versus riders inability to provide balanced by inability to earn due to lack of funds and those fans not happy with provision of product = legal minefield

No need for a debate, a reference to the pertinent legislation will suffice.

Vissing will be guesting for Peterborough this week at Redcar and Somerset, lets hope there`s no more machinery mishaps for him, added to that will be Edberg guesting at Ipswich, and Jorgensen guesting at Scunthorpe.

Edited by screm

Vissing will be guesting for Peterborough this week at Redcar and Somerset, lets hope there`s no more machinery mishaps for him, added to that will be Edberg guesting at Ipswich, and Jorgensen guesting at Scunthorpe.

The newsletter I received last night also said Doolan at Plymouth and Crang at Glasgow -- don't they count?

Edited by crescent girl

My newsletter also said Doolan at Plymouth and Crang at Glasgow -- don't they count?

It's you good self that composes the Berwick Newsletter then?

ive yet too work for an employer who will buy my tools for me to do a job for them

My newsletter also said Doolan at Plymouth and Crang at Glasgow -- don't they count?

My newsletter?!! Not sure you should be admitting that fact Edited by Goodiepatchie