British Speedway Forum
robert72

Should Tai Woffinden Ride For Team Gb ?

Of course he raced really well for TeamGB, nobody can say any different whether we think he should, on principle, be in the team or not.

His conduct had to improve after the last GP though, jeez!

But as a result of their communism all their tracks are state owned aren't they? But where has all this investment come from? Where do all the thousands and thousands of pounds of wages come from? Is it right that Gorzow council (or whatever it is called) have invested massively into the club, can you imagine any british town or city council prioritising a speedway club over other things? Yes, Manchester has invested in the National Stadium but they're going to get their investment back in rent ....

The BSPA have made a start with the Poultec scheme at least. Surely we need Tai to pass on his knowledge to our young riders though by racing here, being involved, being available, being a role model?[/quote Are you serious? with perhaps 1 or even 2 exceptions most of the Poultec boys will only ever be training school boys who enjoy riding [nothing wrong with that ] JPB, Jack Smith,Bickley etc are the boys we need to be investing in

I agree with most of that .except the Bspa doing anything , Poultec are responsible for the poultec scheme ( most likely done in spite of rather than with assistance from the BSPA ) all praise and accollades for their succesful scheme belong to them .

Edited by speedibee

Well they have done one thing, built a polishesque track, BV. Good start .....

Poland are so lucky, they have everything in place, as we all know it's not so easy here, no 24\7 tracks, no huge sponsors/promoters, no state owned tracks, few speedway only tracks, small crowds, hardly any funding from tv companies ...... our boys face an uphill battle.

Perhaps Tai would like to use his influence in Poland to get Robert Lambert a team spot and macinery chucked at him, he certainly has the talent.

The thing is Poland is one of the most corrupt countries in Europe.Ok,they are not quite in the Nigeria or Sudan league in world terms,but corruption runs through the whole system even into sport.Just like we have recently seen with Russia(and the suspicions are that with the Togliatti boss being gunned down on the street,speedway is also involved)it is hard to be envious of one small aspect of a country when you see what is involved.Of course we can look at the stadiums and wish we had them,but if it means all the other things invlved then honestly i'd rather have a decent country and run of the mill facilities/leagues.Poland it seems are happy taking EU development money,but don't want to make the social reforms the EU require.If that happens,i wonder if the whole speedway pack of cards will fall......

Edited by iris123
  • Like 2

Ive not hidden the fact I' don't really like Tai, not for his riding as I love watching him race but more for his PR skills. He says and does the wrong thing very often (and I don't even care about the swearing at Cardiff) but he handled Saturday perfectly, scored the points, come across well when interviewed and IMO said the right thing ("not here to get second, even if it is nice. I want to win") and then taking that young girl onto the podium and giving her the medal, brilliant. I heard someone say how stupid giving away his medal but Tai will have many medals when he retires. On the other hand this girl will probably only ever have one. When she goes back to school (or nursery) in September and they ask her what she did this summer she can show her class a World Championship 2nd place medal and she'll have that memory for a life time and hopefully that means she'll be a speedway fan all her life too.

So well done Tai! You get a lot of stick, some of it deserved but you deserve all the praise going for this weekend.

Same as that Shawn.

I didn't like Crump or Nicki Pedersen for years, but grew to be fans of both. I put Woffinden in the same bracket as these two, in fact there's many similar traits! But I am warming to him, can't deny that he is a fantastic to watch on track, and despite what anyone says, he is British, wants to ride for Team GB and at the moment is pretty much flying that Union Jack single handedly on the interrnational stage.

Will the BSPA take any notice of him and how he wants to take Team GB and British speedway forward? I doubt it, too many vested interests in their own business and not enough longterm outlook - been the same for decades, and has driven the sport into a downwards spirals in this country. It's a shame, because whatever he's done, it's obviously worked and isn't just about fast engines.

Was an interview with Woffinden during/after the final on Saturday where he stated the Brits got together at the start of the season for a meal and one of the riders stated that training etc. wasn't required, just the will to win - be interesting to find out who that was and whether they made the team for Saturday's final. Seems like it's not just the BSPA singing from his hymn sheet too though.

Edit: Did you see the photo's on facebook of the little girl he took onto the rostrum tucked up in bed with her medal still round her neck and that massive grin still on her face? That is priceless and one of the things I love most about this sport. Doesn't matter whether they're a PL reserve of a world champ, riders still interact at a very personal level with the fans, you don't see that in many other sports these days.

Edited by Wackie

The money Manchester Council has put in has to be paid back, probably at a premium?

And the real-life difference between that an Polish clubs paying rent on their facilities is...???

As for what the BSPA has done in the last 3 years, from what I can see from the outside, I guess many promoters are shoring up the running of BNL teams and quite possibly their BPL and BEL teams because the fan base and sponsors aren't.

As I said before...long range vision restricted to the far end of their own car parks.

As for what the BSPA has done in the last 3 years, from what I can see from the outside, I guess many promoters are shoring up the running of BNL teams and quite possibly their

As we have seen this weekend, not even the mighty BSI/IMG can get column inches in the tabloids for speedway so what chance does the BSPA stand on that score...clearly the BSPA find that one hard ......although Buster Chapman has a league sponsor lined up for next year apparently or so I have read ....

So what is the role these days for Terry Russell and SlowSpeed International Ltd? I thought that they were the contracted agency responsible for generating collective sponsorship deals and national publicity. He creams off 40% of the Sky money and does rugger ball for the rest of the year. Why is Dick Dastardley doing the barking when he's got a dog there that should be doing it for him... And talking of Dick Dastardley, where's Mutley these days? Did he get hacked off with the BSPA too by any chance?

I'll never be in a position to join the inner circle of the BSPA, unless I win the lottery ha, so will never know why certain things are done or not done, I'll just keep supporting my team, enjoying the racing and flying the flag

And good on ya for doing that!

The thing is Poland is one of the most corrupt countries in Europe.Ok,they are not quite in the Nigeria or Sudan league in world terms,but corruption runs through the whole system even into sport.Just like we have recently seen with Russia(and the suspicions are that with the Togliatti boss being gunned down on the street,speedway is also involved)it is hard to be envious of one small aspect of a country when you see what is involved.Of course we can look at the stadiums and wish we had them,but if it means all the other things invlved then honestly i'd rather have a decent country and run of the mill facilities/leagues.Poland it seems are happy taking EU development money,but don't want to make the social reforms the EU require.If that happens,i wonder if the whole speedway pack of cards will fall......

This is something of the ilk I wanted UK Martin to admit.

And the real-life difference between that an Polish clubs paying rent on their facilities is...???

As I said before...long range vision restricted to the far end of their own car parks.

So what is the role these days for Terry Russell and SlowSpeed International Ltd? I thought that they were the contracted agency responsible for generating collective sponsorship deals and national publicity. He creams off 40% of the Sky money and does rugger ball for the rest of the year. Why is Dick Dastardley doing the barking when he's got a dog there that should be doing it for him... And talking of Dick Dastardley, where's Mutley these days? Did he get hacked off with the BSPA too by any chance?

And good on ya for doing that!

Do the Polish clubs pay rent on their facilities though?

I haven't a clue what the Russells do for their cut apart from being involved at Swindon and doing stuff on Sky nights.

You've got the chance to ask Alun Rossiter on the EDP podcast all these questions if you like ......

Long range vision, surely BV is long range vision for one?

Of course being a top rider isn't all about fast engines, it's the complete package, all riders know that, some are more talented, more clever, more ruthless, richer, have the gift of the gab, are more single minded and so on than others and all make a difference.

Edited by Trees

This is the first chance I've had to come online since Saturday's fantastic SWC Final. I'd just like to echo many of you on here and say a huge well done to Tai and the rest of the boys for an outstanding effort.

So as we all (well most of us) have stated from the outset, YES Tai should have ridden for Team GB and he's now proven things. Without him we would most definitely have come last. For me he was ultra professional throughout on Saturday and it was clear to see that he rides for GB with a huge amount of pride so that's gotta be the biggest custard pie ever in the face of the forums currently absent porky pier! LOVE IT!

p.s. Doyley's comments were very disappointing, if Team GB were 'very weak' then the Aussies must be woeful...which we know they're not. Rather silly thing to have said.

Yes of course Tai should have been a first GB pick, performed superb and interviewed well. Definitely appeared a different approach.

However your gloating that it proved someone wrong is incorrect to the initial question / opinion. The question was 'should', not 'could'. His ability to perform was never in doubt or challenged.

Uh?

If you read the posts prior to mine they were all in jest (mine included)...basically joking about those who keep posting on thread complaining people are posting.. I wasn't sure the first time if you were partaking in said jest or if you'd got the wrong end of the stick so to speak...

Yes of course Tai should have been a first GB pick, performed superb and interviewed well. Definitely appeared a different approach.

However your gloating that it proved someone wrong is incorrect to the initial question / opinion. The question was 'should', not 'could'. His ability to perform was never in doubt or challenged.

WTF are you banging on about? After all of the absolute nonsense the serial liar was posting I make a passing comment that he now has a custard pie in his mushki which you perceive as gloating? :rofl:

He stated numerous times he shouldn't (NOT couldn't) be riding for Team GB so I have no idea what point you're 'trying' to make.

Edited by chris4gillian
  • Like 1

If you read the posts prior to mine they were all in jest (mine included)...basically joking about those who keep posting on thread complaining people are posting.. I wasn't sure the first time if you were partaking in said jest or if you'd got the wrong end of the stick so to speak...

I was with you all the way BW, just didn't understand your last post

I was with you all the way BW, just didn't understand your last post

Ah my bad, I thought you'd had a Starman moment briefly!

I was the one who was whooshed then! :)

WTF are you banging on about? After all of the absolute nonsense the serial liar was posting I make a passing comment that he now has a custard pie in his mushki which you perceive as gloating? :rofl:

He stated numerous times he shouldn't (NOT couldn't) be riding for Team GB so I have no idea what point you're 'trying' to make.

Ha ha, nice one. You couldn't make it up. The answers are all in there.

Same as that Shawn.

I didn't like Crump or Nicki Pedersen for years, but grew to be fans of both. I put Woffinden in the same bracket as these two, in fact there's many similar traits! But I am warming to him, can't deny that he is a fantastic to watch on track, and despite what anyone says, he is British, wants to ride for Team GB and at the moment is pretty much flying that Union Jack single handedly on the interrnational stage.

Will the BSPA take any notice of him and how he wants to take Team GB and British speedway forward? I doubt it, too many vested interests in their own business and not enough longterm outlook - been the same for decades, and has driven the sport into a downwards spirals in this country. It's a shame, because whatever he's done, it's obviously worked and isn't just about fast engines.

Was an interview with Woffinden during/after the final on Saturday where he stated the Brits got together at the start of the season for a meal and one of the riders stated that training etc. wasn't required, just the will to win - be interesting to find out who that was and whether they made the team for Saturday's final. Seems like it's not just the BSPA singing from his hymn sheet too though.

Edit: Did you see the photo's on facebook of the little girl he took onto the rostrum tucked up in bed with her medal still round her neck and that massive grin still on her face? That is priceless and one of the things I love most about this sport. Doesn't matter whether they're a PL reserve of a world champ, riders still interact at a very personal level with the fans, you don't see that in many other sports these days.

The same for me different eras i know, i was never a Hans Nielsen fan more so because of the Ole/Erik/Knudsen incidents also Tai came into that category .But both i ended up changing my mind over, Tai how he kickstarted his career to another level it has been brilliant to see. Edited by Sidney the robin