British Speedway Forum
hyderd

National Speedway Stadium Opening Tickets Now On Sale

Bet Oldace thinks that's just small beer. :D

Well the beer up north is certainly better than in the south,at the Shay the Halifax clubhouse served a great pint of bitter.

So what is the point of planning permission if it planned to get special dispensation. Why not just get the correct permission in the first place!

Because the residents might object if racing was regularly allowed on more nights a week. You can still apply for planning permission to run one-off events.

I would imagine if they went to the council for a one off for the World Cup they'd love it. They hardly want this stadium to be built and barely used. They want World Cups, GPs, Euros etc. Manchester is a sporting city and loves having it's name spread far and wide using sport as the vehicle.

I would imagine if they went to the council for a one off for the World Cup they'd love it. They hardly want this stadium to be built and barely used. They want World Cups, GPs, Euros etc. Manchester is a sporting city and loves having it's name spread far and wide using sport as the vehicle.

EXACTLY and why they have been so supportive. But also because of the academy which offer local kids the chance to try speedway. Not quite as easy as kicking a football around of course but opportunities will be there.

• Like 1

Part of the Council's requirements when funding the Belle Vue Sports village was to have International Speedway events,

Ongoing negotiations are taking place for a five year contract to yield such events.

Hopefully they will be successful.

I'm sure they will be. I hope so . I can get a train from York to Manchester (if Mrs. chr lets me out :rofl: ).

Part of the Council's requirements when funding the Belle Vue Sports village was to have International Speedway events

I don't know the Council could mandate such a thing as it's not within their's or Belle Vue's gift to decide where international speedway events are held. They can certainly insist the circuit is built to international standards to facilitate the hosting of such events, but unless they're prepared to stump up or underwrite the staging costs then it's difficult to see how it could be insisted upon.

I think the reality of the situation is that Belle Vue have had ongoing discussions with BSI from the early stages of this project and received positive indications that they would look favourably on holding events at the new stadium, assuming of course it meets the required standards. The council were presented with a professionally evaluated business case as well as an impressive list of business leaders prepared to back the stadium and have been fully supportive of ensuring that those requirements are met.

Apparently, nothing is yet signed or sealed with BSI but I can't believe the council would be providing a further £750,000 unless they were very sure that an agreement will be reached.

Edited by Aces51

I don't know the Council could mandate such a thing as it's not within their's or Belle Vue's gift to decide where international speedway events are held. They can certainly insist the circuit is built to international standards to facilitate the hosting of such events, but unless they're prepared to stump up or underwrite the staging costs then it's difficult to see how it could be insisted upon.

If you read the planning application for Belle Vue Sports Village which I have , then you will see that indeed they did require International Speedway and discussions between Belle Vue Speedway and BSI took part in order that it could happen.

The World Team Cup for 2013 was originally penciled in but long delays scuppered the original plans of having it ready by then.

They also insisted that it should be the National Speedway Stadium... ..... when Belle Vue approached the BSPA over this they agreed.

On a side note , Manchester City Council should be given high praise for being behind the Belle Vue Sports Village from the word go. It has required an enormous effort on the part of the Council and Belle Vue Speedway to make the Belle Vue Sports village come to fruition.

I should imagine the likes of Cradley , Bristol , Hull and other places wanting to have Speedway resurrected wish they had such a forward thinking Council as Manchester..

Sadly , many councils are anti Speedway.... it took a lot of effort to finally persuade Birmingham to allow Speedway and Kent had to appeal against the rejection of Speedway by Kent Council.

• Like 3

It has been stated on this thread that the track has not been built to FIM standard so unless things have changed or the FIM have an international standard size but ignore it how can they run International meetings.

Also it seems that BSI will go to a stadium but only if they pay the extortionate staging fee. Is BV or the Council prepared to pay BSI to hold one of their meetings?.

• Like 1

The track is certainly to FIM standard irrespective of what anyone has said on this forum.

if it wasn't then BSI would not be in negotiations with Belle Vue regards a five year contract for international meetings.

BSI visited the site recently and further talks were completed.

the straights are 13 m wide and the bends are 17 m wide ......with banking.

Edited by KIRKYLANE

I dont know if it's still the case but Cardiff didn't meet FIM guidelines in the past. That's the beauty of guidelines and not rules!

It has been stated on this thread that the track has not been built to FIM standard

A Belle Vue fan said that the track was going to be "4 handlebar widths wide on the straight and narrower on the bends (because you don't need 4 riders side by side on the bends)".

You didn't actually take that seriously did you??? :icon_smile_clown:

He was making a sarcastic reply to a stupid question.

It's well documented that the track is going to be approx 350m long (way above the FIM minimum). Extremely wide (way beyond the FIM minimum) and banked up to the maximum level of banking allowed by the FIM (I think a maximum 10% gradient on the bends).

In other words...a proper speedway track :t: .