British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mimmo

King's Lynn V Buxton (nl) - 1st May 2015

With the 'Young Stars' last meeting at the Adrian Flux Arena against local rivals Mildenhall, being the best race meeting seen at the venue, at any level in 2015, supporters will be full of anticipation of a repeat performance tonight.

Visitors Buxton, have lost their opening two fixture this season, but that means nothing, as that was yesterday, and today is today. Jason Pipe, who was here with the Peterborough (MDL) set-up two nights ago, will have sussed out the general set-up and racing lines, and will be able to pass this information onto his charges tonight.

We ourselves lost our last meeting, when we went down 64-24 to the ultra powerful Eastbourne side at Arlington a couple of weeks ago. So both sides will be eager to atone for what happened last time out.

With weather forecast looking bleak for Sunday and Monday, this could be our only chance to see some speedway action this weekend, so lets hope that a large crowd will turn out like last time.

I've not been able to find any information out on the King's Lynn website or Facebook with regards to team line-ups etc., although I'm sure that is probably taking place as I type this out, so in the meantime, I'm indebted to Buxton, who have displayed the information on their site.

KING'S LYNN: 1) James Cockle 2) Josh Bailey 3) Scott Campos 4) Shane Hazelden 5) Tom Stokes 6) Layne Cupitt 7) Ryan Kinsley

BUXTON: 1) Tony Atkin 2) Ryan Blacklock 3) Adam Extance 4) Tom Woolley 5) Ben Hopwood 6) Ben Basford 7) David Holt

A Midland Development League clash between the two sides follows the main event.

Gates open at 6.30pm, it'll be a good 'un.

It's hard to believe but thirteen years ago today King's Lynn rider David Nix died in Queen Elizabeth Hospital as a result of injuries he sustained after crashing in heat 6 of the Conference League match against Newcastle.

Those of us who were at Saddlebow Road that night including myself, will never forget that sad night nor should we.

l had the privilege of knowing him and, indeed, regarding him as a friend.

RIP David

Bryn Williams
  • Like 1

Yes I too was right in front of that fateful event, and I fully agree with your sentiments.

Wow, 13 years.

Such a nice bloke, he rode plenty of meetings for Club CH around that time, I remember sharing a drink with him in Cardiff in 2001.

Was so difficult the following year as we all stood and raised a glass to him in the same pub

RIP

At 7.10pm last night, just 40 paying customers had entered the stadium for what once again turned out to be an attractive meeting. Whilst the crowd level did rise come start time, it was still ridiculously low, in fact I've seen nearly as many people in attendance at a Southern Track Riders Meeting. In fact you get around forty people queuing to get in at Mildenhall, some 2-hours before the scheduled start time.

Amongst the few that turned up, there were both Coventry & Mildenhall supporters on the terraces, not to mention the handful of Buxton faithful, that made the very long journey. So where were the King's Lynn public??

I know that we had a meeting on Wednesday, and realise that many people can't afford two meetings in one week, but on the other side of the coin, there are a lot that can afford it, as is proven by the fact that some go to all the Mildenhall meetings, but won't or don't support their own clubs National League meetings. WHY?

The meeting, whilst not reaching the standards of the previous one against Mildenhall, still produced far more passing than any Elite League fixture does, or has done so far in 2015, and I'd have thought the management must be besides them selves with worry this morning, following this financial disaster.

Personally, if I was a KIng's Lynn rider, I'd be wishing that I could ride for a club whose supporters appreciated what I was doing in an attempt to give entertainment.

What happened last night on attendance levels, was an insult to everybody connected with the club. They deserve better, and hopefully things will improve as the season goes along.

With regards to really talking about the meeting itself, well there seems no point, because if the locals had been interested, they'd have been there to see it for themselves.

So well done to both sets of riders, for dishing up an evening of good quality racing, and of course in particular, well done to the Young Stars, for notching up three valuable league points.

Putting the moral conscious thing on by heavily criticising fans for not attending won't bring the fans back to the next meeting in their droves

The reality is that most fans, especially those with dependant children struggle to afford one home meeting a week, let alone 2 and fans will normally always pick the meeting that has the clubs 1st team involved. Another factor with King's Lynn speedway is that many of their fans come from over 20 miles away from the track. If running NL at King's Lynn was that successful Boston would still be going there and them and King's Lynn speedway would be making a profit out of it!

In the history of speedway the examples of two teams at one track both being well supported are extremely rare indeed. I suppose Cradley running at Wolves and Birmingham are probably two of the only examples in recent years. This is why there isn't more 2nd teams of higher League tracks in the NL.

I applaud King's Lynn speedway for biting the bullet and running a NL team cause it can't be a profit making exercise!

Yes 13 years since the World lost David Nix. Thankfully that was the last fatality on a British speedway track and lets hope its the last!

Having two meetings in three days is asking for trouble but how hard are the promotion trying to get people through the door? How about offering those who went on Wednesday reduced admission for last night? Or having a big marketing push in the town centre yesterday with fliers, one of the riders with their bike, money off vouchers etc? Or admitting people to an NL meeting free as a one off to show them what they are missing? It's disappointing that crowds for the NL matches are so poor but perhaps enough isn't being done to attract people.

Nothing was done to attract people to this meeting by the

Kings lynn promotion. If I hadn't of gone Wednesday to the elite league meeting I wouldn't have known ther was a meeting on Friday. And no I didn't go Friday as can't afford two meetings in 3 days.

I go to all Kings Lynn home El meetings and am a Pboro regular as well also do a few meetings at Leicester I enjoy the meetings I go to but NL isn't on my agenda when I have been to NL at Lynn they've been long drawn out meetings NL isn't for me and yes I could afford to go but but choose to save my money and spend it else where