British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
marko

Lakeside Vs Poole 8/5

I would not blame cook for relocating to Central Park, because the facilities at arena are awful. Unless the raceway has been sold for redevelopment, I see no reason why speedway should not continue there. The fan base is big enough to support PL racing, the only problem on the horizon is if both tracks run on the same night.

Maybe a forum on the clubs future is more important than assessing what's gone before? what are the intentions for 2016? If your going to do a Terry Russell on us then at least be honest about it, that way it gives time for prospective businessmen or maybe a fans group to come in and start a fresh maybe using the original Arena Essex moniker like what happened in 1996, if you want to move to Kent then fill your boots but if the stadium is still available you cannot surely object to someone else running an operation from there hopefully in the PL.

Well, if you bother to turn up at the forum you'll find out. This is the trouble, we had a fans forum last November and Cook was very frank about a number of things, including the clubs future and the future of the Raceway. We learned that he had come off the MC specifically to work full time on securing a home for the club and was negotiating with various agencies including the local council and Sport England who were both being very helpful. Every effort is being made to keep the location more or less where it is now. Unfortunately some of those who either couldn't attend or couldn't be bothered to attend decided that rumours are better than fact and we start hearing different pieces of gossip every week. Someone nwas telling me a couple of weeks ago them stadium had actually been sold but the people that rent the shops are saying they have it from the stadium owners that the stadium will be running in 2016, and they should know but the rumour mangers are not interested in that.

One proposed development down the road has just had planning permission refused and needs to be re-submitted and there is not even a builders shovel at theRaceway yet.

We have know for years that the stadium was under threat when the Thames Gateway development got going, and it's pretty obvious that the stadium buildings, thrown up in the '70's are more or less life expired so sooner or later something will have to be done, but people spreading rumours damage the club and the sport. It looks like a combination of "if's but's and maybe" at the moment and no doubt more will be revealed at the forum in a couple of weeks time, if the gossip mongers and soapbox merchants can contain themselves for that long.

Edited by Daytripper
  • Like 3

Well, if you bother to turn up at the forum you'll find out. This is the trouble, we had a fans forum last November and Cook was very frank about a number of things, including the clubs future and the future of the Raceway. We learned that he had come off the MC specifically to work full time on securing a home for the club and was negotiating with various agencies including the local council and Sport England who were both being very helpful. Every effort is being made to keep the location more or less where it is now. Unfortunately some of those who either couldn't attend or couldn't be bothered to attend decided that rumours are better than fact and we start hearing different pieces of gossip every week. Someone nwas telling me a couple of weeks ago them stadium had actually been sold but the people that rent the shops are saying they have it from the stadium owners that the stadium will be running in 2016, and they should know but the rumour mangers are not interested in that.

One proposed development down the road has just had planning permission refused and needs to be re-submitted and there is not even a builders shovel at theRaceway yet.

We have know for years that the stadium was under threat when the Thames Gateway development got going, and it's pretty obvious that the stadium buildings, thrown up in the '70's are more or less life expired so sooner or later something will have to be done, but people spreading rumours damage the club and the sport. It looks like a combination of "if's but's and maybe" at the moment and no doubt more will be revealed at the forum in a couple of weeks time, if the gossip mongers and soapbox merchants can contain themselves for that long.

Thats a lot of words to say, "Lakeside speedway is a secret society". Why not actually tell people then there would be no need for rumours would there?

Even if 200 turn up for these forums, that's barely 20% of the total fan base, mind you if they carry on as they are, that 200 is all they will probably have left.

Sometimes rumors are positive, sometimes negative, sometimes there is a element of truth to them, sometimes they could not be further from the truth but never the less rumors and gossip are a part of everyday life, with the best will in the world you will never stop them, take weather forecasting for example, that's effectively just rumor and gossip too, you can't tell a weather forecaster your not allowed to say its going to rain or anything negative because it will put people off going out.

And don't forget this whole thing with Lakeside maybe? moving came about allegedly from one of these see called forums!

Even if 200 turn up for these forums, that's barely 20% of the total fan base, mind you if they carry on as they are, that 200 is all they will probably have left.

Sometimes rumors are positive, sometimes negative, sometimes there is a element of truth to them, sometimes they could not be further from the truth but never the less rumors and gossip are a part of everyday life, with the best will in the world you will never stop them, take weather forecasting for example, that's effectively just rumor and gossip too, you can't tell a weather forecaster your not allowed to say its going to rain or anything negative because it will put people off going out.

And don't forget this whole thing with Lakeside maybe? moving came about allegedly from one of these see called forums!

I

You are right that rumours are part of everyday life but it's not practical for any organisation to make statements every 5 minutes to admit or deny every piece of tittle tattle that crops up .

You are not altogether right about the whole thing about Lakeside moving coming from one of these forums. It was known from the time the present promotion took over that the present stadium was under threat in the Thames Gateway redevelopment. It was always a question of when it would happen. The issue about moving to Kent arose because some idiot took a comment of Len Silvers out of context and posted it on the Lakeside fans forum and that's when the whole thing kicked off.

Unfortunately this sport seems to be plagued more than most with pessimists, doom and gloom merchants, and especially gossip mangers who delight in doing the sport harm . Hence we had some know-nothing on here a few weeks ago telling us he or she heard Adam Ellis hated Lakeside and wanted to leave. Despite Adams dad posting in perfectly clear terms that Adam does not hate Lakeside the gossip mongrels persist with the story. By the same token those who persist with the moving to Kent story ignore the limited planning permission there and the othe obstacles that would need to be overcome, they ignore the fact that if it was a simple question of moving to Kent there would be no need for Jon Cook to resign from the MC in order to concentrate on finding a new track, and there would be no point in him having discussions with Thurrock Council. Belle Vue have had help from their local Council in getting a new track, so have Swindon, so why on earth do people thinkThurrock won't be similarly accommodating ?

Obviously things are in the air at the moment, but we have known for a long time this was coming but the club we will be getting it from the horses mouth within two weeks so why the ned to keep stirring ?

With a spread out fan base, I wonder how the distance to Kent compares to Arena for the fans ?

some fans are already travelling from Sittingbourne/Canterbury to Pufleet so it would suit them but others are coming from North of the Thames, places like Chelmsford, Braintree etc so sticking another 80 miles on their round trip would probably be a killer, especially as the curfew at Kent would mean a much earlier start than at present.

No doubt it's a big problem for the sport because IF , big IF , Lakeside were lost the EL goes under 8 teams which means the end of the Sky deal and no more EL which is why I think every effort will be made. Looking on the positive side a new purpose built track oto go with Swindon and Belle Vue will give the sport some much needed stability.

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 2

By the same token those who persist with the moving to Kent story ignore the limited planning permission there and the othe obstacles that would need to be overcome, especially as the curfew at Kent would mean a much earlier start than at present.

Edited your quote, but hopefully it remains in context.

The planning permission at Kent is currently being appealed, with the result expected from Sittingbourne Council within a few days. It could just be a coincidence ;)

Lakeside is probably one of the most depressing stadiums you could possibly visit.

Tired hardly does it justice. The approach road is dismal, the location poor, facilities meagre and it is inevitably cold.

Who could blame anyone wanting to move in to the great facilities at Central Park.

Just need a team to do it justice. The current Lakeside team is failing badly but it must be difficult to be inspired in a place like that.

As a supporter of the the Hammers since the 80s, I have always enjoyed going to the Arena as unlike most other circuits, it actually has a bit of character.

Typical to get negative comments from idiots who think all speedway stadiums should be, in part, a dog track with the usual boring cement hole on one side and 'grand' stand on the other.

Each to their own, but I love the Arena and will miss it, all of it terribly should a closure occur.

• Like 3

As a supporter of the the Hammers since the 80s, I have always enjoyed going to the Arena as unlike most other circuits, it actually has a bit of character.

Typical to get negative comments from idiots who think all speedway stadiums should be, in part, a dog track with the usual boring cement hole on one side and 'grand' stand on the other.

Each to their own, but I love the Arena and will miss it, all of it terribly should a closure occur.

While I don't get the critisism, the Arena itself is perfectly adequate IMO. I'm missing where the character is :D One thing about Lakeside is you get a pretty good view where ever you chose to stand, I like that. and in recent years it's not even been the terrible race track it was during Ronnie Russell stint at the club. I used to hate the place but I'd miss it if it went.

All part of the plan!!! :wink: Only one more away fixture at belle Vue before the June averages come out!!

NB. Is that right that Lakeside's Jon Cook last night publicly announced a Fans Forum in the next couple of weeks to 'discuss' their season so far?!

The forum will be held at the Orsett Hall Hotel on Friday, 22nd May at 8.00pm (doors open 7.30pm). The hotel is located just off the A128. Exit from the A13, head towards Brentwood then take the first left, Prince Charles Avenue.

• Like 1