British Speedway Forum
SCB

Gerhard Engine

must be something special when the worlds worst gater can make good starts on it ..

Bomber just needs to find a little more straight line speed and he could be in business.

• Like 1

must be something special when the worlds worst gater can make good starts on it ..

You need to see Kasper Lykke Nielsen he makes Bomber look the best gater in the world.

HARRIS all evening but not Lambert. Probably both in Vojens.

Lambert was on it in his first two. Didnt look after that.

Lambert was on it in his first two. Didnt look after that.

He was on it in his last 4 I think.Did he go on it when he changed bikes in his first ride?

The bigger questions are how fresh are these engines? All engines should be fast from a new build its about how they perform after the 70-80 races they predict? Has anyone actually run one that long so far? Until then its just hearsay regarding reliability and performance.

The bigger questions are how fresh are these engines? All engines should be fast from a new build its about how they perform after the 70-80 races they predict? Has anyone actually run one that long so far? Until then its just hearsay regarding reliability and performance.

BEEN vigorously tested on a dyno but, no, obviously not done that many races so far. Long way to go yet but so far so good.

NOT being sold yet...

Philip is it easy for machine examiners in the pits for league meeting etc,to know if these NEW engines are legal or not?

Philip is it easy for machine examiners in the pits for league meeting etc,to know if these NEW engines are legal or not?

NO idea but why would they not be legal? Imagine testing a GTR would be no different to a GM. I'm no expert here but no doubt someone will comment...

Liked what I saw of the rides by Bomber, must say though it seemed to lack quite a bit in straight line speed. That could have been down to the gearing and not the engine though. It was good off the start and if Bomber can get it to go from the tapes, then it must be good. I really can't see how it can be leagle. You could have said the same about the GM's when they started to replace the Jawa's. But noone knows for sure, unless they have seen one in pieces, what is actually going on inside the engine. All I have ever seen are pictures of the outside of the engine, there are no scematics of it. Come to think of it neither are there any for the Jawa's and GM's come to think about it. What made them come up with the very chuncky looking barrel, it just looks like an unfinished block of aluminium but it works very well for all that. But on the inside it is no more that a crank and a piston. With a bore of 500cc like all the others. Would love to know, what they have done to make the big difference to the other engines.

Edited by weatherwatcher

Won't be long before a GTR gets bought and sent to PJR for some special tuning, then the costs will be exactly the same as before.

• Like 2

Won't be long before a GTR gets bought and sent to PJR for some special tuning, then the costs will be exactly the same as before.

BUT that will be up to the rider(s) concerned. If they want to spend additional money in the belief it will be better so be it. Chris Harris told me on Monday that Jarek Hampel sent his engines back to his tuner after just two meetings, 10 heats. But on the evidence of what he rode that night Chris said would be happy to run with that.

If a rider believes that a GTR performs as well as a GM without additional tuning and servicing and can save him a significant sum of money over the course of a season then surely it has to be a viable proposition.

Firs ever laydown i ever saw was in 1975 at a winter training school at Cradley Heath. Bruce Cribb had one, did about 2 laps & went bang!!

Probably the first laydown speedway engines were Douglas machines in the very early days (late 1920's) Douglas made a complete bike, the DT in the early thirties.

Certainly Wal Phillips built a JAP laydown in the 40's.

If a rider believes that

That's half the battle :)