British Speedway Forum
kingbee

Coventry V Poole 1/6/15

Not suggesting the track was prepared to suit Poole are you? ;)

the go speed statement asking 48 hours if it should be postponed , if true (?) confirms that it couldnt be postponed on the day because of sky.

the disturbing thing for me is that the track is prepared not by the home guys but by go speed/sky team.

If you find the tweet from Harris and the picture of the track "looking good" was his phrase and then compare it with the track that was there at 7pm, all the top layer had been removed and the starts had been completely ripped up, essentially destroying any home advantage, so what is the point, so we can get to ten heats.

This is the real scandal ignoring all the handbags.

so unless your track is normally bald as a coot (poole) essentially SKY can determine if you have a home advantage or not, which is not right

its all about home advantage, take that away and it becomes farcical

For me it confirms that the meeting could be postponed on the day but that there would be a financial penalty for GSI/BSPA - Sky did not force the meeting to go ahead, GSI/BSPA did.

Sure, if they are willing to forfeit all the points.

Can you imagine if a team could refuse to ride at their own discretion? Every time a team was losing they could say the felt unsafe on the track and get another shot.

So, it's okay for them to go out on (what they believe) is an unsafe track, taking the even bigger risk of getting injured (or, God forbid, worse), just because SKY say so? I think we've had enough injuries this season without unnecessarily adding to them, don't you?

Also, don't forget, it was the home team that thought the conditions were unsafe, so they were hardly playing "silly sods" by blaming the oppositions track!

• Like 1

It's not down to the riders, it's down to the officials. Like it or not (and I don't like it, trust me!), it's not down to the riders to decide. You cannot have a sport where the competitors call the shots. It doesn't work like that. It's too easily abused.

Last time I look Arya, it wasn't the officials going out there risking their lives! I think the riders should always have a say in if they ride or not once weather conditions make visability poor and track conditions dangerous.

The last thing I want to read about is a rider being seriously injured or worse because an official made a wrong call.

How can it be deemed safe to race in heat 10 otherwise your fined but then one minute later it's deemed unsafe and meeting is awarded in exactly the same conditions? Easy to judge when not there.

Speedway shouldn't just be about points and win at all costs, riders are human beings and their views & safety should matter.

Edited by mdmc82

Last time I look Arya, it wasn't the officials going out there risking their lives! I think the riders should always have a say in if they ride or not once weather conditions make visability poor and track conditions dangerous.

The last thing I want to read about is a rider being seriously injured or worse because an official made a wrong call.

Riders should be consulted but they do not make the final decision.

• Like 4

Riders should be consulted but they do not make the final decision.

What's the point of consulting them when If they aren't willing to do out and race when dangerous then they get fined. It's like saying race regardless of conditions and the risks.

What qualifies the officials to be able to judge if it's safe or not more than the riders when they haven't ever been out there on a bike in those conditions?

You hit the nail on the head. The concerning thing is why when the track was good and to the home riders liking was it then changed so that it was slick like Poole's home track. They were still doing the track a few minutes before the meeting was due to start. The heavy rain then came as the meeting was due to start and the track couldn't take it with the way it was prepared. It's not right when home advantage is taken away and this kind of mess of a meeting takes place when it could be the difference at the end of the season over who finished top.

When there is rain about it's common sense to make the track slick that would be the same if sky were doing the track or the home trackman .....since when as a grippy track been prepared to counter rain ? . Whoever done the track done a great job to get it in the decent state it was at start time as Havvy had pointed out .

For as long as i can remember tracks have been bladed to allow meetings to continue/start. the less shale on the track the more water it can take, as realistically the water runs off quicker.

That's why we get such slick tracks when Sky are in town, any hint of rain and the shale is removed.

When there is rain about it's common sense to make the track slick that would be the same if sky were doing the track or the home trackman .....since when as a grippy track been prepared to counter rain ? . Whoever done the track done a great job to get it in the decent state it was at start time as Havvy had pointed out .

Riders just cannot be allowed to make those kinds of decisions. In an ideal world, yes, but it's not an ideal world and it is too easily abused. The riders can be consulted, but they cannot make the decision when to and when not to ride. On Monday there were more riders in favour of riding than opposed so in my eyes the officials acted as they should.

If an individual rider doesn't feel safe riding, when the majority of riders wish to continue, then by all means let them miss their ride but they should also miss out on the points.

Holder has stated on Twitter that the meeting shouldn't have started. The Coventry riders didn't want to go out and Magic didn't look up for it so what makes you believe more riders felt safe & wanted to continue to heat 10 than not?

I guess from now on then ALL sky meetings will be on regardless of the conditions on the day if they can now only be called off 48 hours in advance. Guess that means we never have to worry about sky cancelling a meeting on the day again and showing repeats of something else

Edited by mdmc82

Riders just cannot be allowed to make those kinds of decisions. In an ideal world, yes, but it's not an ideal world and it is too easily abused. The riders can be consulted, but they cannot make the decision when to and when not to ride. On Monday there were more riders in favour of riding than opposed so in my eyes the officials acted as they should.

If an individual rider doesn't feel safe riding, when the majority of riders wish to continue, then by all means let them miss their ride but they should also miss out on the points.

That's how it's always been - anyone remember the rain soaked British Final that Kenny Carter won? Majority of riders wanted it off but officials stood firm and Carter went and won it despite being seriously injured - and there weren't any serious accidents as far as I remember.

As I said before it's the Ht 10 cut off that's caused all the mullarky and not the actual state of the track.

Edited by SPEEDY69
  • Like 1

.....Arya....I suggest you treat people with some respect before you spout irrelevent drivel.

I do love this forum - always good for a laugh. :lol:

Suggesting he treats people with respect yet in the same post you called him 'a nutter.' :shock:

Edited by Gemini
  • Like 3

Holder has stated on Twitter that the meeting shouldn't have started. The Coventry riders didn't want to go out and Magic didn't look up for it so what makes you believe more riders felt safe & wanted to continue to heat 10 than not?

I guess from now on then ALL sky meetings will be on regardless of the conditions on the day if they can now only be called off 48 hours in advance. Guess that means we never have to worry about sky cancelling a meeting on the day again and showing repeats of something else

I agree with him, it had rained and the forecast wasn't good and with no cameras it would have been postponed but once it had started it would have taken a monsoon to get it called off before heat 10.

When it started riders were racing, Holder himself who you maybe could of expected to be a bit careful was on it straight away, banging elbows with Hans, was the track dangerous in his opinion? Was Harris asked or told not to ride heat 10, was Holder asked or told to ride in heat 10, he didn't seem to be fazed by the conditions in heat 10. The fact is Holder was willing to race in heat 10 but Harris was unwilling to race or his manager told him not to.

Try telling Kylamkorpi that, he clearly thought it unsafe, didn't ride and got fined!

Totally unfair!!!!

• Like 1

Holder has stated on Twitter that the meeting shouldn't have started. The Coventry riders didn't want to go out and Magic didn't look up for it so what makes you believe more riders felt sa

Edited by tsc1
  • Like 1