British Speedway Forum
kingbee

Coventry V Poole 1/6/15

As one of the record low Coventry 1st team fixture 'crowd' on Monday I feel a free programme offer would be appropriate if I present my re-admission ticket (well the little bit they gave me back after it was ripped in 2) the next time I visit. Least they can do for me being a 'hero' in attending..

Pike! don't tell them I was actually just passing by that way anyway so sort of attended by accident...

• Like 2

Mdmc82 take it you know nothing about tracks and track prep? You was there yes or no? To say all dirt was taken off and work was beening done on it. You must have been at a different track. You need to find out the facts first .........

Yes I was there thanks. Please can you tell me where I said the whole of the dirt was taken off. What I said is the track was then changed after 6.30 and yes I was there watching it with my own eyes.

Speaking with my son last Monday when watching this fixture, he said there would be more 'POSTS' on the forum, talking about it, than actual people who attended it.

I replied, in jest, looking at the tele screen, they'll be more 'PAGES' on the subject than people there.....

Now on page 50, I'm surprised to say, I think I was the nearest.... :t:

I wish more of these keyboard warriors would actually attend meeting more often....... Sure as hell the sport needs you there !! :cheers:

• Like 3

Yes I was there thanks. Please can you tell me where I said the whole of the dirt was taken off. What I said is the track was then changed after 6.30 and yes I was there watching it with my own eyes.

Facts the only change was the start line was riped up.

Speaking with my son last Monday when watching this fixture, he said there would be more 'POSTS' on the forum, talking about it, than actual people who attended it.

I replied, in jest, looking at the tele screen, they'll be more 'PAGES' on the subject than people there.....

Now on page 50, I'm surprised to say, I think I was the nearest.... :t:

I wish more of these keyboard warriors would actually attend meeting more often....... Sure as hell the sport needs you there !! :cheers:

Could have had a lot less pages to outscore attendance!!

Try telling Kylamkorpi that, he clearly thought it unsafe, didn't ride and got fined!

Totally unfair!!!!

Despite him winning his 2 races previously against 3 of Poole's heat leaders!!! :shock::P

Edited by Skidder1

Despite him winning his 2 races previously against 3 of Poole's heat leaders!!! :shock::P

And a great ride in heat 6 to beat Magic.

Edited by foreverblue
  • Like 1

That was prior to the start of heat 10. Track conditions changed during the meeting. Stop trying to rewrite history!

• Like 1

To be honest, I can see both sides of the argument. I personally think if a rider refuses to ride for any reason, then they should not be entitled to a reserve replacement and should forfeit the points. No fine necessary. But I can also see the reasoning behind the fine in that it is a deterrent to stop other riders refusing to ride for any number of reasons.

In principle I agree but each case has to be judged on it's merits. On this occasion Kylmakorpi clearly felt it was unsafe telling the meeting steward wit some feeling "It's my f**king life", Harris apparently felt differently according to some. That is his choice but given the track conditions IMHO it was grossly unfair to fine Kylmakorpi.

I also think the meeting steward should have been fined on 2 counts. Firstly for not allowing the track inspection that he had promised and secondly for telling Havelock he was being unfair to ask how he would feel if a rider was badly injured. Havelock as team manager has a perfect right to ask such questions.

Whether Havelocks fine was justified is another matter, as I was not party to what went on in the pits regarding him not allowing riders to race heat 10 I can't comment.

• Like 2

Finally got round to watching this meeting from the start of the week due to work commitments, and I've trawled through every page it seems and picked out genuine concerning issues regarding this event.

It's hard to know where to start in chronological order, but the key points being made are completely valid on all parts and I could just echo most people's thoughts.

I take a deep breath and try to comprehend as a grown adult, and wonder what the bloody hell has become of this sport.

Seriously, what does the paying customer in all of Speedway look at how this was portrayed right in front of our eyes on television. All the smoke and mirrors jumbled up to just accept something which was unacceptable from both sides of the fence leaves a lasting impression on people.

Make no mistake about it, it has every one discussing, and more than likely Sky are rubbing their hands as it made great TV for all the wrong reasons. Will it make fans pay £18 for an example next time round? Will it leave empty stadiums? Will it make more drama watching a team manager lose his rag with an official live? Will it even entice people to watch purely for the racing?

It's like WWE high octane men and "associates" under the guidance of a Sepp Blatter impersonator in many forms, with Jack Warner as chief compare!

It's spoiling my enjoyment.

That was prior to the start of heat 10. Track conditions changed during the meeting. Stop trying to rewrite history!

A meeting isn't going to be stopped prior to the start of heat 10 if heat nine has been completed unless there is a monsoon and while the rain was getting worse it did seem that this was mainly the decision of the manager. Considering the accident Holder had previously at the track you would think he would be the one to object if he thought it was dangerous.

I finding all these arguments quite unreal now, the way posters are going on about unsafe track and whose fault it was, is beyond belief.

Up to heat 7, the scores were fairly even and the wet track riding as one would expect. In Heat 8, Everything changed when advantage fell into Poole's lap, thanks to an unchallenged 5-0. No, it wasn't Poole fault, they just excepted their good fortune. Of Coventry's problems, Garrity's off, was caused through his bad decision, not the weather. and if Danny King's bike had started, he would probably had won the race and the meeting would have continued, with no reference of unsafe track at all. He actually looked quite at home in his previous races.

Would Havvy, or Middlo, complained after heat 8 had the sides been level. And in answer to that, I don't think either of them would.

So this whole scenario was caused by the points situation at a particular time. Of cause the track was wet, but nothing new there. (See: 1977 World Final) Had the scores been level after that race, then no doubt, the meeting would have continued. So we ask ourselves, was the track really that bad.... :wink::sad:

• Like 3

I repeat my post from the Go Speed thread (I hadn't realised the difference):

I have some sympathy with Horton having missed out on a big payday that undoubtedly was built into this season's business plan. I also think its right to issue a reply to the GSI statement and request an enquiry into that aspect of 'who calls the shots on Sky meetings?'

However if they do get a meeting with BSPA/SCB and 'all concerned' and they do produce all the relevant statements of fact, how are they going to explain away both Horton and Havelock stating on TV, Podcast and in print that there was absolutely no fault on the part of Poole!! So any attempt to deduct Poole's points and restage the meeting should rightly be ignored.

Maybe if Mick/Havvy ask Matt/Middlo nicely, both clubs can stage a home leg of a Challenge meeting for the 2015 version of the 'Hokey Cokey Cup' , previously competed for by the Bees and Panthers some years ago?!

Promote it as a real grudge match - throw in some mud-wrestling for the Brandon leg - watch the crowds flood in @ a tenner per head - everyone's a winner!! :P

Edited by Skidder1

I repeat my post from the Go Speed thread (I hadn't realised the difference):

However if they do get a meeting with BSPA/SCB and 'all concerned' and they do produce all the relevant statements of fact, how are they going to explain away both Horton and Havelock stating on TV, Podcast and in print that there was absolutely no fault on the part of Poole!! So any attempt to deduct Poole's points and restage the meeting should rightly be ignored.

P

An excellent point. I don't believe in changing results/declaring meetings void etc off the track. Whatever the rights or wrongs bikes went round the track so the result should stand.

I do believe Coventry are right to ask for an enquiry into the event, 48 hours before the event (who and how did Go Speed attempt to contact, and the conduct of certain officials at and during the meeting.

This should be done as a matter of urgency not just for Coventry but for the whole sport. Certain aspects have left a very nasty taste and have done Speedway no good at all. At the very least a call for an enquiry should focus all promoters minds towards avoiding such issues in the future.

• Like 1

agree with the statement except the bit about the points, in the playoffs they will be irrelevant anyway

• Like 1