British Speedway Forum
oldtimer

John Cook Talks A Lot Of Sense

Well done to John Cook in this weeks Speedway Star, at last a promoter who has taken his head out of the sand and spoken some sense. A cut down version of his article is as follows.

"Speedways hard core fans are losing heart with the sport and he feels their voices need to be heard, even if promoter's don't feel comfortable hearing what is being said. This sport is slowly losing it's hardcore and it's taking the mickey out of it's hardcore if it doesn't believe these problems aren't being felt by fans turning away from the sport. Anyone who thinks their club and the business as a whole is worth it's salt should take time to at least twice a year, meet their fans and talk openly to them. They should take the criticism because a lot of it is justified. There needs to be direct input from the fans at the highest level. Those in power have to listen to the fans. The fans are disillusioned and their patience is being tested."

At last a promotor who has taken his head out of the sand and said what many fans feel and why like myself after over 50 years of and on, following speedway, I don't go anymore and only watch it on TV.

• Like 8

The patient is almost deceased.

The Man O' Man race in the Knock-Out Cup helped kill off that competition and impeded speedway's credibility even amongst its hardcore.

I wonder... whose idea was that great idea?

• Like 1

Well done to John Cook in this weeks Speedway Star, at last a promoter who has taken his head out of the sand and spoken some sense. A cut down version of his article is as follows.

"Speedways hard core fans are losing heart with the sport and he feels their voices need to be heard, even if promoter's don't feel comfortable hearing what is being said. This sport is slowly losing it's hardcore and it's taking the mickey out of it's hardcore if it doesn't believe these problems aren't being felt by fans turning away from the sport. Anyone who thinks their club and the business as a whole is worth it's salt should take time to at least twice a year, meet their fans and talk openly to them. They should take the criticism because a lot of it is justified. There needs to be direct input from the fans at the highest level. Those in power have to listen to the fans. The fans are disillusioned and their patience is being tested."

At last a promotor who has taken his head out of the sand and said what many fans feel and why like myself after over 50 years of and on, following speedway, I don't go anymore and only watch it on TV.

Its only what fans have been saying for the last few seasons ,but promoters are saying it's my ball and your not playing with it.Much to the detriment of the sport IMO .

All the time promoters think some novelty rule or teams full of guests are going to bring the fans in then there is no helping the sport.The lunatics are running this asylum

• Like 7

Come on fellas, give the promoters a bit of support.

They have brainwave ideas, some really good ones as well ... Golden Double, Six-Lap nominated heats, Man o' Man races, introducing the green helmet cover...

Like some of the shops are doing, on items they are charging the same price for but the packets are smaller, promoters have tried to fool fans into believing they are watching a superior product which they have continued to weaken over the years.

By cutting riding costs, they make more money. Perfect idea...

But for every decent rider that's no more, I bet what has been saved has been lost... by fans who vote with their feet.

As someone who has been to a forum with Jon Cook and heard him talk and get feedback from the fans - then go on to do the complete opposite . I wouldn't trust a word the guy says.

Promoters and fans want two diametrical things from a night at the speedway..

Fans want entertainment, promoters want a home win regardless of what standard of racing is on offer..

Hence, a 'win at all costs/lets mess about with rules every week to gain an advantage/put meetings on when the opposition don't have half their team available/cancel a meeting if you feel you may lose it/hey we know its mickey mouse but who really cares' attitude is what passes for an 'operational plan' in the sport, and is widely used and accepted by virtually all...

The promoters see a 'home win' as vital to 'survival', note not 'growth', but 'survival' hence they build teams to win at their own track, and as hardly anyone goes away anymore who cares what is served up away from their own patch?

What is incredible is that the sport has become nothing more than six months of 'select teams' racing against each other night in, night out over the length and breadth of the country ad nauseum, yet the promoters still seem to take the sport and the position of 'League Winners' seriously...

Honestly, who cares who wins when virtually every team helps the winners to the title by providing them with riders through the year. My 'team' are at Lakeside tonight for a farce masquerading as a professional sporting competition. Who cares what the final score is as it is not Belle Vue there!

The sport needs a 100% fundamental change of approach with a real clear vision delivered by dynamic radical leadership....

And now we find one promoter who finally may have spotted 'one or two flaws in the cunning plan'....

Heaven help us....

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 6

Promoters come and go, and clubs are taken over by yet another bright spark with big ideas.

They have put their money into the sport and deserve some say... but this method has only dragged the sport to where it is, the likes of John Cook warning his fellow investors that customers are not prepared to give them as much money as before.

They have continued to mess up the sport, make out the loyal fans are fools and will show up for anything.

But, especially with forums like this, opinions are changing. A lot of fans are seeing the light, and Cook(though it's taken a while) has seen the demise.

No more silly rules or ideas. No more playing with a sport that should be simple, attractive and have a basis to sustain supporters' interest without any novelty rules.

Fans want a team sport, and riders in that team who have at least a tinting of a bond with that club, not a fleeting spell, just because there's nowhere else for him to ride.

Fans are sick of being used.

• Like 6

just look at the teams racing tonight. guests and r/r everywhere. id love to start travelling around to different tracks like I did in the past but all enthusiasm is being knocked out of me. ive even started missing some of our away meetings .sunday im off up the pub for a birthday drink instead of buxton. I even missed a home fixture the other week to go to the theatre instead. and tbh our promotion still try to do a cracking job. id love to go to monmore on Mondays but 18 pound to watch select teams is not for me

• Like 5

Jon Cook is so out of touch wanting to communicate with fans via the programme.

We live in a digital age.

Expecting Jon to recommend the return of the JAP at any moment.

• Like 1

Is that with wooden wheels or not. :neutral::unsure:

He has probably invented square wooden wheels to make things more exciting

• Like 1

Promoters and fans want two diametrically things from a night at the speedway..

Fans want entertainment, promoters want a home win regardless of what standard of racing is on offer..

Hence, a 'win at all costs/lets mess about with rules every week to gain an advantage/put meetings on when the opposition don't have half their team available/cancel a meeting if you feel you may lose it/hey we know its mickey mouse but who really cares' attitude is what passes for an 'operational plan' in the sport, and is widely used and accepted by virtually all...

The promoters see a 'home win' as vital to 'survival', note not 'growth', but 'survival' hence they build teams to win at their own track, and as hardly anyone goes away anymore who cares what is served up away from their own patch?

What is incredible is that the sport has become nothing more than six months of 'select teams' racing against each other night in, night out over the length and breadth of the country ad nauseum, yet the promoters still seem to take the sport and the position of 'League Winners' seriously...

Honestly, who cares who wins when virtually every team helps the winners to the title by providing them with riders through the year. My 'team' are at Lakeside tonight for a farce masquerading as a professional sporting competition. Who cares what the final score is as it is not Belle Vue there!

The sport needs a 100% fundamental change of approach with a real clear vision delivered by dynamic radical leadership....

And now we find one promoter who finally may have spotted 'one or two flaws in the cunning plan'....

Heaven help us....

Could not agree more.

• Like 1

Promoters and fans want two diametrically things from a night at the speedway..

Heaven help us....

Agree it's not aTeam sport.Its just a free for all,whoever they can find to make up a meeting .
  • Like 1