British Speedway Forum
oldtimer

John Cook Talks A Lot Of Sense

Ok for what its worth here are my thoughts....

I,m sure there are some promoters out there who work very hard and try to promote the sport but whatever they are not doing or doing its clearly not working when even the hardcore supporters are becoming dissilusioned with the sport.

My main bugbears are:

1. TR rule, i hate it (but i still attend)

2. Fans being ripped off when meetings are rained off either when meetings have started or fans are let into grounds and only to be told its off and no monies returned!!

3. Dissjointed fixture list, going for two to three weeks without a home meeting.

4. Hypocritical decisions on rider safety, ok during the season to cancel a meeting but at the end of the season its "get the meet over with regardless of conditions".

5. Teams made up of r/r , guests etc due to injuries , riding for teams abroad, riding in the EL........etc.

6. Meetings that drag on for hours.....

7. Poor presentation and music.

I have been attending Speedway meets since i was 15yrs old and its only this year that i have started to become less passionate about the sport, i think i sometimes go because its a habit.....wonder if there is a cure to kick it!!

Oh i forgot to add start times....sometimes 15-20 mins after the advertised start time!

Edited by topaz325
  • Like 1

I was told by the PL fixtures compiler (John Campbell) when I had a query with the EL fixtures to email the EL fixtures compiler Jon Cook, so my information is he did this years EL fixtures.

Jon Cook was not the person who physically compiled the fixtures this years or last. He might have had some sort of oversight/supervisory/front man/contact point role but I don't know whether that's the case or not.

The fact is that whoever compiles the fixtures doesn't sit plucking dates out of the air. They can only work to the availability dates the clubs submit. The bottom line though is that ultimately the fixture list is the responsibility of the MC to approve just as its their responsibility to confirm averages and everything else. The clue is in the name - Management Committee, although management does not always seem to be their strong point. Nevertheless the buck should stop with them

I,m sure there are some promoters out there who work very hard and try to promote the sport but whatever they are not doing or doing its clearly not working when even the hardcore supporters are becoming dissilusioned with the sport.

My main bugbears are:

2. Fans being ripped off when meetings are rained off either when meetings have started or fans are let into grounds and only to be told its off and no monies returned!!

3. Dissjointed fixture list, going for two to three weeks without a home meeting.

4. Hypocritical decisions on rider safety, ok during the season to cancel a meeting but at the end of the season its "get the meet over with regardless of conditions".

5. Teams made up of r/r , guests etc due to injuries , riding for teams abroad, riding in the EL........etc.

I have been attending Speedway meets since i was 15yrs old and its only this year that i have started to become less passionate about the sport, i think i sometimes go because its a habit.....wonder if there is a cure to kick it!!

I think the TR had a more dramatic effect on crowd levels than a lot of people believe. I definitely noticed a visible drop in attendance from the start of the year it was introduced.

Edited by grachan

I think the TR had a more dramatic effect on crowd levels than a lot of people believe. I definitely noticed a visible drop in attendance from the start of the year it was introduced.

Thank you grachan.

It is why I no longer go.

Thank you grachan.

It is why I no longer go.

Have you tried using a catheter ? :icon_smile_clown:

• Like 1

Have you tried using a catheter ? :icon_smile_clown:

Are you taking the p*ss E I Addio? :shock::unsure: :unsure: :unsure::blink:

My main bugbears are:

Oh i forgot to add start times....sometimes 15-20 mins after the advertised start time!

I think that is the 7 main reasons I don't attend any more. That and the constantly ignoring and breaking rules.