British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mdmc82

Nl Fours At Coventry 14th June 2015

NO!!! Don't say that. PLEASE tip us for the wooden spoon...please!?!

So how different were the weather circumstances between Coventry and Vojens?

The resulting track quality at Vojens seems to have contributed to some fine racing...seems from reports from those there that the opposite was the case at Coventry. Is that a fair assessment?

You seem to be ignoring the comparative standard of riders at the two events - the SWC would have produced a great meeting at Brandon, and some of NL riders would have fallen at Vojens

My pleasure. Sounds like your 4 did you proud (as did all of the podium finishers)

Brum must be a cert for the league and knockout cup now :D

Well we are as good as out of the KO Cup anyhow--but please don't go changing on my account--i love you just the way you are :wink:

• Like 1

As I said I can't comment on track conditions but the amount of rain in the previous 24 hours it was never going to be a classic. Many other tracks would have had problems with a similar amount of rain fall. Just one of them things when you get weather like that. Perhaps it shouldn't have gone ahead with the level the riders are at? Coventry's track as been far far better this season after last year's shambles of the stadium employing a Polish taxi driver.

Edit: Coventry had its most rainfall of the year Friday and rain continued Saturday. Don't know what people expect sometimes regarding track prep when the weather has been like that leading up to a meeting. I don't think track staff could get to the track until Sunday morning.

I am judging Coventry at least partly on reputation - last years NL 4's and the ELRC spring to mind.

I should point out that while the track curator might have changed, the excuses haven't.

To be fair, complaints do seem to be at a much reduced level but I do get a little tired of some tracks sodding things up while others never seem to have any difficulty producing decent racing tracks week after week.

If others can do it, why can't Coventry ?

I was there and the track wasn't great at all but the meeting overall wasn't as bad as some are making out. Bend 4 was the worst, followed by bend 1 but bend 1 improved considerably after a mid-meeting grade, light watering and a shower. I got the opinion that they didn't want to water it until the shower forecast at 5 and fortunately it came a little earlier at about 4:15. That settled down bend 1. The issue was bend 4 which they never sorted and worryingly didn't try to sort. As the track was generally patchy it was catching even experienced riders out and there was a lot of falls and most were entering bend 4 and bend 1, but as I say bend 1 settled down.

Of the 3 injuries only BWD's on bend 4 were due to the track. Shanes' & Cockle's were purely racing incidents as was Kingston's frightening back straight crash that broke the fence.

The meeting obviously took a long time, too long! But there was never any unnecessary delays and they tried to keep the meeting moving along. The only significant delay was the hurt supporter for 30/40 mins and when we had to wait 10 mins or so for Ayres bike stuck in bend 4.

The track at Coventry this year is best its been for a long time! And that's all riders saying that and that's riders home and AWAY. Yes l agree it wasnot best on Sunday and before you say I do know what on talking about when it comes to track prep......

I am judging Coventry at least partly on reputation - last years NL 4's and the ELRC spring to mind.

I should point out that while the track curator might have changed, the excuses haven't.

To be fair, complaints do seem to be at a much reduced level but I do get a little tired of some tracks sodding things up while others never seem to have any difficulty producing decent racing tracks week after week.

If others can do it, why can't Coventry ?

But you weren't there... Islander15's post is a much fairer reflection of the meeting. Edited by NeilWatson
  • Like 1

I was under the impression that the Brummies win was assisted by the "Shuttlworth effect".

The Brummies "won" largely due to Kent running out of fit riders for the last race.

OK, to win you have to cross the line, but it's a sad day when team sport comes down to being the last man standing. Much of that has to do with the number of falls and consequent injuries, which may be down to the abilities and /or state of the track. Whatever. I certainly don't feel the same degree of satisfaction about this "victory" as I do about the win that Birmingham had in the PL 4's at Peterborough in 2010, when we had a team that out-raced the opposition, and opposing teams that put up a battle for every point in every race, and not just battling to stay upright on their bikes, as was the case last week.

The Brummies "won" largely due to Kent running out of fit riders for the last race.

OK, to win you have to cross the line, but it's a sad day when team sport comes down to being the last man standing. Much of that has to do with the number of falls and consequent injuries, which may be down to the abilities and /or state of the track. Whatever. I certainly don't feel the same degree of satisfaction about this "victory" as I do about the win that Birmingham had in the PL 4's at Peterborough in 2010, when we had a team that out-raced the opposition, and opposing teams that put up a battle for every point in every race, and not just battling to stay upright on their bikes, as was the case last week.

The Brummies won full stop, It's a team event and as a team they won, just as when they lose, they lose as a team. This is the lowest level of racing in the UK and there will be falls from time to time, it was an important meeting and understandably everyone was going for it.

In the British final there were crashes, no one has seemed to say that was a battle to stay upright. there seems to be just a few reasonable answers on this post and a lot of sour grapes from people who probably weren't there .

I was there; the best team won. Deal with it.

I was there; the best team won. Deal with it.

I agree. Yes Kent were unfortunate and rode well. However over the meeting as a whole I was most impressed with Birmingham.

I was disappointed that Coventry lost the run off for the trophy but Birmingham were the better team during the meeting so no complaints here.

The Brummies won full stop, It's a team event and as a team they won, just as when they lose, they lose as a team. This is the lowest level of racing in the UK and there will be falls from time to time, it was an important meeting and understandably everyone was going for it.

In the British final there were crashes, no one has seemed to say that was a battle to stay upright. there seems to be just a few reasonable answers on this post and a lot of sour grapes from people who probably weren't there .

👍🏻

• Like 1