British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Blobby

Edinburgh V Ipswich (pl) 5/6/15 @ 7.30pm

Didn't it score 9 points or so at Plymouth? Sometimes it pans out, sometimes it doesn't.

Yes it did. And Phil Hilton has explained why he's happy with R/R at 4 instead of 2, as he like having Covatti in heat 14 and to be fair it's worked lately as we've been strong in the last 3 heats of meetings.

My thoughts from the Monarchs Chatzone -

Great meeting tonight, Monarchs pushed all the way by a very good 5 man Ipswich side. Alarming that we went 1-5 down after heat 1 but soon turned that into a 6 point lead by heat 6. Ippo always looked threatening but with only four heat wins and two heat advantages, the Monarchs kept all points at home.

Sam is not used to dropping points especially at home but 8 from 4 after a busy week will do. Robert toiled at #2 failing to beat an Ippo rider, tough slot for him. Kevin was nearly top man losing only once to Danny King but his partner Justin surpassed that with a superb paid maximum. Cookie looked out of sorts in heat 7 but tried hard to catch Roller Tungate in heat 13. Erik did well, winning heat 2 followed by four 3rd places, that will do fine. Max had a tough night too beating the hapless Hawkins who despite turning up, never turned up!

Ippo had four heat winners and a great replacement for Neilson (hope he's fine!), but lost as they could only win a heat each. I saw Covatti at Somerset last week and he looked impressive, even more so tonight. King scored less than I expected after a good heat 1, Manzares supported well as did Tungate with Bates also doing well.

Heat 10 with Masters and Tungate, I was on turn 1 at the time but I saw Sam going past Rohan on the back straight and was very fast into bend 3 on the inside, they were probably too close for Rohan to switch to the inside and pass. Tough call for the Grand Monarch!

Heat 11 seemed a bit tactical, a Monarchs 4-2 would allow a t/r, Cookie was miles ahead of King - Manzares was slow enough for Clegg to pass before Clegg slipped off slowly to ensure a 3-3. All tactical? Who am I to say?

Well done to Monarchs on a great win and praise to Ippo for pushing us so hard on the night. The cup matches will be well worth seeing!!

• Like 2

Comfortable in the end. Branford and Max had stinkers, Sam also didn't have a great night but that happens the rest of the boys scored well enough that didn't matter in the end.

For the witches Covatti was interesting to watch only new one line and that was round the fence but he was suprising decent considering how bad he was last season, Tungate was also better than he has been. You can see why hawkins doesn't bother turing up at times as he was pants and King wasn't very good either.

Anyway onto next week when we welcome the wee team along once again.

• Like 1

Yes it did. And Phil Hilton has explained why he's happy with R/R at 4 instead of 2, as he like having Covatti in heat 14 and to be fair it's worked lately as we've been strong in the last 3 heats of meetings.

So put Covatti at 4, Manzares at 3 and R/R at 2. If R/R at 4 is getting poor results in the first 3 rides having Covatti out in the last one is irrelevant. I'd prefer to be 6 up going into 14 and losing out, than drawing going into 14 and needed a result!

So put Covatti at 4, Manzares at 3 and R/R at 2. If R/R at 4 is getting poor results in the first 3 rides having Covatti out in the last one is irrelevant. I'd prefer to be 6 up going into 14 and losing out, than drawing going into 14 and needed a result!

Or keep r/r at four to be strong in 14 having went 10 down and got a 1-8? Who knows apart from Mr hindsight?

Well Ritchie certainly showed them! lol

Following the chatzone it seemed like we were competitive but not quite good enough and a16 point defeat was possibly a bit harsh as a reflection of the performance.

A much better away performance from Rohan - ironically against the strongest top4 in the league.

Lets hope we see a few more like it in the rest of the season.

Overall we ended up with what we expected -nothing - but with a few positives to hold on to.

Well done to the Monarchs. We all know they will be there or thereabouts at the shake up at the end.

Or keep r/r at four to be strong in 14 having went 10 down and got a 1-8? Who knows apart from Mr hindsight?

Can't use a tactical ride in heat 14, only 5 - 12, if that's what you mean.

Anyway onto next week when we welcome the wee team along once again.

Let the reverse psychology begin. With the 0131's tendency to big up even the poorest visitors to Armadale each week, heaven knows what we'll get for next Friday.

• Like 1

Let the reverse psychology begin. With the 0131's tendency to big up even the poorest visitors to Armadale each week, heaven knows what we'll get for next Friday.

I'm making the long trek up to watch the derby/grudge/whatever match up.

I fear I might witness us getting royally humped.

• Like 1

Can't use a tactical ride in heat 14, only 5 - 12, if that's what you mean.

Yep I meant maybe keep your strongest r/r for heat 14 and if you have went 10 behind early on you can always use the t/r.

My thoughts from the Monarchs Chatzone -

Great meeting tonight, Monarchs pushed all the way by a very good 5 man Ipswich side. Alarming that we went 1-5 down after heat 1 but soon turned that into a 6 point lead by heat 6. Ippo always looked threatening but with only four heat wins and two heat advantages, the Monarchs kept all points at home.

Sam is not used to dropping points especially at home but 8 from 4 after a busy week will do. Robert toiled at #2 failing to beat an Ippo rider, tough slot for him. Kevin was nearly top man losing only once to Danny King but his partner Justin surpassed that with a superb paid maximum. Cookie looked out of sorts in heat 7 but tried hard to catch Roller Tungate in heat 13. Erik did well, winning heat 2 followed by four 3rd places, that will do fine. Max had a tough night too beating the hapless Hawkins who despite turning up, never turned up!

Ippo had four heat winners and a great replacement for Neilson (hope he's fine!), but lost as they could only win a heat each. I saw Covatti at Somerset last week and he looked impressive, even more so tonight. King scored less than I expected after a good heat 1, Manzares supported well as did Tungate with Bates also doing well.

Heat 10 with Masters and Tungate, I was on turn 1 at the time but I saw Sam going past Rohan on the back straight and was very fast into bend 3 on the inside, they were probably too close for Rohan to switch to the inside and pass. Tough call for the Grand Monarch!

Heat 11 seemed a bit tactical, a Monarchs 4-2 would allow a t/r, Cookie was miles ahead of King - Manzares was slow enough for Clegg to pass before Clegg slipped off slowly to ensure a 3-3. All tactical? Who am I to say?

Well done to Monarchs on a great win and praise to Ippo for pushing us so hard on the night. The cup matches will be well worth seeing!!

A fair summary of an entertaining night when Monarchs werent totally on song but still did enough :t: Always good to get one over on Ipswich..the main difference this time from other humpings is that most of the Ipswich riders actually gave it a right go and showed a lot of guts so fair play..maybe Ritchie Hawkins wishes he'd puked his guts up in a Motorway service station lavvy on the way up here..but that's nothing new.. :D

Edited by Young51

I have to say that from the 3rd turn it looked quite clear that Sam simply dived in and wiped out Rohan...and everyone around me was just as surprised as I was when Rohan was excluded.

If Cameron Heeps is back for the cup matches we could be in some trouble.

The 2 points that R/R delivered last night are nothing like what he would surely score at the Dale and I am not sure that Danny King would score as low again....

Alot of the old water to go under the bridge before the cup matches , Ipswich have one date in July available and and both teams have consecutive days on 13th and 14th August free . Im guessing that's gonna be when it will happen and by then who knows how things will have changed .

sounds like the witches done Well and with a bit more luck could possibly keep it even closer in the cup

• Like 1