British Speedway Forum
Terry

Who Was Best, Louis Senior Or Louis Junior?

I would say John.

11+ average in the seventies, something Chris never managed.

But Chris 2 times British champion, John 1.

John started 10 years later than Chris, so more naturally gifted.

Both world number 3.

I don't think any father and son have been so closely matched.

11 plus average in the 70's means little when compared to the era Chris Louis rode in....there were a load of 10 plus averages in the 70's....this doesn't necessarily mean they were better riders than in Chris Louis's era....the 13 heat formula, the non fixed gate positions...I think more teams meant teams were on the whole weaker than in Chris Louis's era where there were some really solid teams ....much stronger than today and stronger than the 70's as well.....

It's easy to look back at the 70's and say there were lots of mega averages so the riders were so much better....they weren't ..different era, different team strengths, different formats, no fixed gate positions.....you cannot truly compare the two eras...

Having said all that.......I vote for John !

True. Normally after heat 6.

• Like 2

11 plus average in the 70's means little when compared to the era Chris Louis rode in....there were a load of 10 plus averages in the 70's....this doesn't necessarily mean they were better riders than in Chris Louis's era....the 13 heat formula, the non fixed gate positions...I think more teams meant teams were on the whole weaker than in Chris Louis's era where there were some really solid teams ....much stronger than today and stronger than the 70's as well.....

It's easy to look back at the 70's and say there were lots of mega averages so the riders were so much better....they weren't ..different era, different team strengths, different formats, no fixed gate positions.....you cannot truly compare the two eras...

Good point. Even though I've gone for John, I will always be grateful to Chris for his help in making 1988 the best year of my life!

I would say Chris. John relied almost solely on his gating, Chris was a more complete racer.

I always thought Chris was very under rated and didn't get half the recognition he deserved tbh. Such a shame his top class career was ultimately cut short by a rogue pole (note the lower case p!) in Poland.

I never saw Chris but I was a big fan of John even before he took up speedway, watching him regularly on the Scrambles circuit. As a speedway rider he was excellent and certainly one of my favourite riders of that era.

• Like 1

Having followed them very closely and both were my favourite rider for most of the time they rode I would say John but not by much.

Surely there is no question which crump was better?

Phil won a lot of 16 lappers as I recall.

I remember early in his career Jasons leathers had 'son of the animal' emblazoned on the seat. :D

John for me.

Not by much though.

I would say Chris. John relied almost solely on his gating, Chris was a more complete racer.

That is such a load of B***ocks....JL was a true racer...a great team man who carried lesser riders with him...he was an Icon..a great and genuine Captain.

Chris was indeed an excellent "Rider"...and was equally an icon at Foxhall...but NOBODY but NOBODY incl Siggy..Cookie..Donc..etc came within light years of JL.

• Like 2

I always thought Chris was very under rated and didn't get half the recognition he deserved tbh. Such a shame his top class career was ultimately cut short by a rogue pole (note the lower case p!) in Poland.

I think you will find that Chris rode on after the incident with the starting pole in Poland which happened in 2001. He actually rode for Ipswich up to 2008.. The incident that finished his career was the crash at Foxhall with Sam Simota.

Superb post.

Sadly many simply don't understand the points you make here and we're beginning to see that already on the thread.

I never saw John Louis ride live, only seem some footage. My gut instinct would be to rate him a tad higher than Chris as you do, but there isn't much in it.