British Speedway Forum

Brilliant meeting with a surprise ending. What more could we want (except team GB to be involved maybe!)

Two hour program was just right, with the commentaries restricted (mostly) to what was happening on track. Interviews after each race with the winner asking them "How do you feel?" are not needed.

Like everyone else, the only parts of the tournament that need to be changed are the jokers and the lack of reserves (which if they were reinstated could actually show the manager's skill, or otherwise!)

Like everyone else, the only parts of the tournament that need to be changed are the jokers and the lack of reserves (which if they were reinstated could actually show the manager's skill, or otherwise!)

Agreed.

I think the jokers are unfair (it punishes the team that are doing the hard work of winning), but if they have to be kept for the TV people then they need to tweak it that all four teams can use one joker up to heat 16. Again this brings the managers skill into play and it remains fair for all (all four teams get one opportunity to double points).

• Like 1

Looking forward to watch this back tonight :) For me it was good it was held on the sunday rather then the saturday, so I could go as well haha. Seems like it came across TV just as good as live at the stadium. Great racing and a good atmosphere at the stadium, although after heat 19 it got a little subdued :P

• Like 1

She also questioned whether the "commentators comments" were live comments- hopefully I answered that.

You did thank you. The only reason I questioned it was the spokes incident. Tatum must have excellent eyesight to have picked it up.

Wonderful exhibition of the sport we love. I'm sure if all meetings were like that, the crowds would be flocking back. A track you could race on, Riders giving that extra yard, Mistakes by the bucket load, and controversy all the way. Brilliant........... Not even the use of that stupid Joker could spoil it....

Just one question though: If the teams were not allowed a 5th man as a reserve, Why at the presentations, were there 5 medals for each team???????

You did thank you. The only reason I questioned it was the spokes incident. Tatum must have excellent eyesight to have picked it up.

I don't think it is that, it is his experiences and technical knowledge. When I watched it back you could see the wheel seemed to bounce slightly after the incident, so I assume Tatum having had it happen before must have sensed the type of impact and the resulting wheel bounce he perhaps made an educated guess at the spokes all damaged.

Tatum's technical knowledge is fantastic (IMO) and he sense and see's things many others don't.

Edited by TheReturn

Just one question though: If the teams were not allowed a 5th man as a reserve, Why at the presentations, were there 5 medals for each team???????

Would it be too simplistic to mention?

The Team Manager?

Looking forward to watch this back tonight :) For me it was good it was held on the sunday rather then the saturday, so I could go as well haha. Seems like it came across TV just as good as live at the stadium. Great racing and a good atmosphere at the stadium, although after heat 19 it got a little subdued :P

It's never the same watching a recorded meeting, but it was fab! and cutting the nonsense between heats was even better :t:

Grrr. Due to the re-scheduling I didn't see the meeting and it seems i missed a classic. Hopefully the whole meeting will turn up on youtube.

Thoroughly enjoyed a great meeting, via Eurosport 7pm programme - top, top racing

Was this enjoyment enhanced by the fact that they showed the heats (with replays) and we didn't have to put up with the interminable gaps between heats, between reruns, between track grading?

My point is, I have always favoured Sky moving from live televising of league meetings, to a highlights or weekly magazine-type broadcast, and I think last evening shows how much better the sport comes across, how much more enjoyable it is, when the woffle-filled gaps are nowhere to be seen

Any newbie watching last night would have been greatly impressed with our wonderful sport, the way it was presented

I also agree with the comment that the absence of Mr Jaye was most welcome (I often wonder what Scott really thinks about him!)

Would it be too simplistic to mention?

The Team Manager?

In preference to Hampel and Ljung? or don't they get one??.

I could not agree more.

This is the dilemma ... we all want to see our sport lLIVE but Speedway really does lend itself so well to a little 'editing'.

The lack of inane preamble to heat 1 was joyous.

And, rather than moan about adbreaks, the improvement was that we came straight back from each one with the riders at the tapes for the next race.

Whilst LIVE speedway is essential - for the GPs at least - the broadcasters (and BSI) need to think about the gaps between races that just have to be filled with pap.

Reduce them as much as possible. Please.

But surely there are huge things to learn for the Elite League.

They even hold up the flow of meetings to deliberately include extra rubbish between races. Utter madness.

A meeting package starting at 9pm with the crap edited out would be a real winner

Just seen this which seems to say the same thing!

One change this season which has helped the TV SGP/SWC programmes is the return of Steve Brandon-no longer combining a floor manager role with interviewing. He now alongside the interviews is cast as a pit side reporter and can give the commentary duo upto date info from the pits-probably us watching on Eurosport don`t get his full output which the world feed do get(Eurosport probably are showing the previous 4 races segment)

• Like 1

Grrr. Due to the re-scheduling I didn't see the meeting and it seems i missed a classic. Hopefully the whole meeting will turn up on youtube.

Check the quest schedules, they usually replay meetings more than once (y)

One change this season which has helped the TV SGP/SWC programmes is the return of Steve Brandon-no longer combining a floor manager role with interviewing. He now alongside the interviews is cast as a pit side reporter and can give the commentary duo upto date info from the pits-probably us watching on Eurosport don`t get his full output which the world feed do get(Eurosport probably are showing the previous 4 races segment)

He's excellent...