British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lucifer sam

Scunthorpe Vs Glasgow ( P L) - Friday, June 19th (7.30pm)

so as there is no more confusion this is what happened. Three weeks ago Glasgow asked for David Howes number and I gladly gave them it . More recently they asked me again for it and that coincided with David writing on twiter decisions, decicions, desicions. So putting it together with the request from Glasgow for his number again I text David and told him to go for it and he replied that he didnt think his shoulder was up to it. Not believing that David would ride I thought nothing about it until last Thursday when I recieved a text saying that glasgow had done a deal with David. I immediatly contacted Glasgow to inform them that I did not want David riding against us on Friday as it could be damaging for Scunthorpe Speedway and it was my right to protect Scunthorpe. It was agreed to not use David and sort out another matter. On Tuesday as I was at MC the 1 to 7 was tabled for approval I realised that as James Sarjents average was effective on the Friday there could be no way to not let David ride as then Glasgow would lose the point they had gained before James Sarjents average went up so being as fair as I could I agreed to let David ride and in turn that would protect Glasgows average but asked in return for Glasgow not to use a guest for James just use r/r as if David had not ridden it would be r/r for Kozza Smith but this decision was reffered to the boss to which I never got a reply. I acted in good faith but felt Glasgow did not repay that courtesy.

All I see here is that Glasgow did not agree to not using a guest. This was well within their entitlement. And more alarmingly, you wanted a team to show up with a weakened team. Speedway fans would much rather watch a close meeting with good racing and get beat than watching a landslide.

I understand you have to take care of your own interests but trying to dictate the other team is not on. Even worse than that it seems you are claiming to of done us some sort of favour. If Glasgow were not playing by the rules then the declaration of the team shouldn't of been approved. However, we were playing within the rules. Your good self thinking we owe you something for abiding by the rules is mental.

This episode is an example of why we need independent people in the ruling body. Not people who can think "how will this affect my team" or "you can sign him but he can't ride against us" or "if they sign him they might win the league"!

All I see here is that Glasgow did not agree to not using a guest. This was well within their entitlement. And more alarmingly, you wanted a team to show up with a weakened team. Speedway fans would much rather watch a close meeting with good racing and get beat than watching a landslide.

I understand you have to take care of your own interests but trying to dictate the other team is not on. Even worse than that it seems you are claiming to of done us some sort of favour. If Glasgow were not playing by the rules then the declaration of the team shouldn't of been approved. However, we were playing within the rules. Your good self thinking we owe you something for abiding by the rules is mental.

This episode is an example of why we need independent people in the ruling body. Not people who can think "how will this affect my team" or "you can sign him but he can't ride against us" or "if they sign him they might win the league"!

In the past, numerous clubs have slapped 28-day bans on riders moving elsewhere. Rob Godfrey is not that sort of character. He bent over backwards so that you could get David Howe into your team while you still could.

The rulebook is not the be-all and end-all. There is also sportsmanship, integrity and acting in good faith.

All the best

Rob

In the past, numerous clubs have slapped 28-day bans on riders moving elsewhere. Rob Godfrey is not that sort of character. He bent over backwards so that you could get David Howe into your team while you still could.

The rulebook is not the be-all and end-all. There is also sportsmanship, integrity and acting in good faith.

All the best

Rob

This is an interesting post!

Why are you talking of bans? Scunthorpe gave Glasgow permission to talk to David. I don't understand this point.

Explain "bending over backwards" so we could sign David please? We had permission to speak to David and we agreed a deal. All above board!

Are you saying the rule book can be superseded if it suits certain teams?

Ridiculous!

This is an interesting post!

Why are you talking of bans? Scunthorpe gave Glasgow permission to talk to David. I don't understand this point.

Explain "bending over backwards" so we could sign David please? We had permission to speak to David and we agreed a deal. All above board!

Are you saying the rule book can be superseded if it suits certain teams?

Ridiculous!

Exactly, Scunthorpe gave permission! They co-operated and helped Glasgow. And got stabbed in the back in return.

All the best

Rob

Exactly, Scunthorpe gave permission! They co-operated and helped Glasgow. And got stabbed in the back in return.

All the best

Rob

Laughable!

I see Rob has issued a club statement on our website...

You need all the friends you can get in speedway, Promotors are always asking favours off each other, guest riders, loans etc... Maybe Glasgows new promotion should remember this, they'll need favours one day and episodes like this stick.

• Like 1

If the Glasgow promotion are not putting the strongest team out possible they are cheating the fans!

This is all "moral high ground" nonsensse!

Promoters of other teams have got absolutely no right to dictate how teams visiting their track should line up! First of all not wanting David to ride there then not wanting us to have a guest for James!

Get a grip & move on.

• Like 3

I see Rob has issued a club statement on our website...

You need all the friends you can get in speedway, Promotors are always asking favours off each other, guest riders, loans etc... Maybe Glasgows new promotion should remember this, they'll need favours one day and episodes like this stick.

Not seen it and to be honest not that interested more than enough has been said on this subject all the allegations are coming from one side it appears and our promotion have taken the professional stance of not airing there thoughts in public await the backlash though i am sure they will not want there name tarred I'm bored with this now and have said all i need to say.

• Like 1

Agree here with nagy 100%. Independent body is required none of this gentlemens agreement bollox. We were within the rules and if scunny would stoop so low to stop a rider earning a living cause it doesn't suit them then thats the issue here.

• Like 1

If the Glasgow promotion are not putting the strongest team out possible they are cheating the fans!

This is all "moral high ground" nonsensse!

Promoters of other teams have got absolutely no right to dictate how teams visiting their track should line up! First of all not wanting David to ride there then not wanting us to have a guest for James!

Get a grip & move on.

Pretty much nail on the head with that comment the continual sniping against Glasgow from one side is now laughable say's more about us that we have kept a very professional silence on the matter.

All the best

Rob

Rob stabbed in the back in your view but from were we are looking we only followed the rules at our disposal all this talk of gentleman agreements is only coming from one side and to tell another team what they can & can't do is frankly unsporting.

A big saying up here the last few years has been sporting integrity this in my view has shown a lack off it.

Edited by Gazc

Glasgow fans are coming across here as unpleasant bullies. Scunny did them a favour by letting them track David Howe - are they grateful?

• Like 2

Glasgow fans are coming across here as unpleasant bullies. Scunny did them a favour by letting them track David Howe - are they grateful?

Favour?

Would it not of been worse forcing your all time highest points scorer to sit on the sidelines?

As for bullying, one of your fans ran over to us wanting a fight! Real nice welcome!

Favour?

Would it not of been worse forcing your all time highest points scorer to sit on the sidelines?

As for bullying, one of your fans ran over to us wanting a fight! Real nice welcome!

Who are 'my' fans?

You appear not to have a clue who I support.

• Like 1

Who are 'my' fans?

You appear not to have a clue who I support.

probably because you never told him I would imagine

• Like 2