British Speedway Forum
Grand Central

The Dilemma Of Greg Hancock

OK got to give Greg some respect for having the guts to apologise for his completely out of character and also out of order reaction to one of Pedersen's trade mark moves. Unlike some other speedway rider whose name escapes me at the moment :) :)

He accepted what he did was wrong and said sorry.

Not really, he failed to apologise to Nicki for attacking him.

• Like 2

Agreed. Also, did he really see the look in Nicki's eyes when he launched his attack on him?

What did he think Nicki was going to do?

Pull a gun out of his kevlars :)

Not really, he failed to apologise to Nicki for attacking him.

Fair point

I think Greg is a great bloke and a great rider which exacerbates his crime all the more.

A £400 fine is a ridiculous statement by the authorities and shows that exactly what The Return says is true.

Hancock is the peoples rider whilst Nicki is not.

If Nicki had done that to Greg then this board would have exploded in its indignation and would be demanding he be executed by flame thrower :)

A two week ban would make an example of someone who has huge respect in the speedway world and send the message that you can't do that on a speedway track.

You've been watching those ISIS videos again ?

• Like 1

Its something speedway refs should deal with as a body especially when they have the technology to see in slow motion.

Absolutely spot on.

Refs should exc riders,warn them and if necessary report the incident to the appropriate authority who after a defined number of incidents must issue a ban.

That is the only way to rid the sport of dangerous riders.

http://www.greghancock.com/2015/06/17/team-hancock-racing-statement/

My bleeding heart, that has done you no favours Greg, another big cry baby!

Not exactly the professional approach we have come to expect from Greg, which to be fair he has always conducted himself professionally. That statement really is unprofessional (at best), some of the comments about Nicki and questioning his mentality are beneath Greg.

• Like 7

What did he think Nicki was going to do?

Pull a gun out of his kevlars :)

Fair point

I will give Greg Hancock this - he has made a gracious apology to the Supporters, Authorities and Clubs for his actions last night.

Anybody can lose their temper as Hancock did in this Case. The important thing is that Greg Hancock has admitted the he has done wrong.

Would that all Riders would do the same.

• Like 1

Not exactly the professional approach we have come to expect from Greg, which to be fair he has always conducted himself professionally. That statement really is unprofessional (at best), some of the comments about Nicki and questioning his mentality are beneath Greg.

I've run our of likes, but yes, I agree.

It's frankly embarrassing and it just goes to show he's not the little angel he makes out either :rolleyes:

You've been watching those ISIS videos again ?

No it's Kim Jong Un who does that to anyone who falls asleep when he rabbits on :)

That bit was overkill.

We all know Nicki is 2 slices of bread short of a sandwich.

It was the right thing to apologise but the rest was tittle tattle and trying to excuse his actions which was not so good.

Absolutely spot on.

Refs should exc riders,warn them and if necessary report the incident to the appropriate authority who after a defined number of incidents must issue a ban.

That is the only way to rid the sport of dangerous riders.

Throw a rider out of a meeting.

It's been done before.

Then add a weeks ban from racing which will hit them in the pocket and give them time to consider what they have done.

The speedway equivalent of sitting in the naughty corner as some of them act like kids. :)

It's all well and good calling for bans on riders etc.. but where do you draw the line?

Not everyone agrees that move from Nicki was all that bad. Hard yes, but there was a gap there, Hancock had made a mistake and drifted wide. There was a slight bit of contact, nothing more.

Yet folk are up in arms and want a ban.

Ban someone for that, you won't have many riders left come season end.

Knock on effects are racers will be worried about trying to overtake, racing will become ever more dull and boring and you'll all be moaning about how great the sport was back in the day when we had 'characters' and riders that were hard and overtaking took place.

Another knock on effect is, you already get riders taking dives in an attempt to get reruns and riders excluded.. it would be even worse with them trying to get someone banned.

• Like 2

It's all well and good calling for bans on riders etc.. but where do you draw the line?

Not everyone agrees that move from Nicki was all that bad. Hard yes, but there was a gap there, Hancock had made a mistake and drifted wide. There was a slight bit of contact, nothing more.

Yet folk are up in arms and want a ban.

Ban someone for that, you won't have many riders left come season end.

Knock on effects are racers will be worried about trying to overtake, racing will become ever more dull and boring and you'll all be moaning about how great the sport was back in the day when we had 'characters' and riders that were hard and overtaking took place.

Another knock on effect is, you already get riders taking dives in an attempt to get reruns and riders excluded.. it would be even worse with them trying to get someone banned.

I agree with a lot of that which is why I believe refs should reort it to the SCB or whichever authority . They can then take a more distant view, watch any video available, take statements from other riders/officials and would see if a pattern emerges concerning certain riders. It should not be down to a single individual to issue a ban, apart from throwing a rider out of a meeting.

a LITTLE bit of paytback from greg. i wish i could jump that high ! the rick deservers all he got. one nice guy is greg..... pederson has got away with it for years..

• Like 1

You can make equally long lists for Emil for starters.

Zagar I witnessed making one of the most despicable moves I have ever seen on Buzz Burrows.

Woffy has wiped out a number of fellow competitors.

Gollob most certainly has.

Holder too was no shrinking violet before his injury.

See a pattern?

Very rare to see a world champion who isn't prepared to be a little forceful at times. You do need that nasty edge to be successful.

Rickardsson, Gollob, Crump, Hamill etc....

I've seen all of them be pretty ruthless at times.

Pedersen has stepped over the line in occasions - that can't be denied - but yesterday was not as dirty as some of the others we've seen. The problem is his reputation means any incident involving him leads to all and sundry jumping on the bandwagon.

Hancocks was wrong to have reacted the way that he did and it shouldn't be glossed over just because people think he's a nice guy.

Edited by mb1990
  • Like 5