British Speedway Forum
Grand Central

The Dilemma Of Greg Hancock

That might be true,but the authorities have to look at what Greg did and hand out a punishment that fits the incident and not look at who was in the incident and hand a lenient punishment because someone is a nice guy normally.

Why does anyone have to be banned?

Nicki was excluded, Greg was fined, little punch-up, move on.

30 years ago this would have been a bit of entertainment for the fans, a bit of a talking point for a few days then forgotten about.

I guess it's this pc world we live in these days. :(

• Like 3

If its not already been mentioned on this thread, there's a superb picture on Troy Batchelors Twitter. Ding ding, round one . Im a lover not a fighter, but go on Greg.. :rofl:

Why does anyone have to be banned?

Nicki was excluded, Greg was fined, little punch-up, move on.

30 years ago this would have been a bit of entertainment for the fans, a bit of a talking point for a few days then forgotten about.

I guess it's this pc world we live in these days. :(

Where did I mention anyone getting banned?

30 years ago lot of things happened that are not deemed suitable today.Some might be bad,but personally I think a hell of a lot of progress has been made.The recent vote on gay marriage would have been unthinkable 30 years ago in Ireland.Thank god we have progressed enough that the backward ideas of the catholic church don't hold sway over the masses any more.If that is what people call pc,then I am happy to be called pc

For me if Greg was fined and made to do some work in the community against violence,maybe with children then that would be a decent idea

No. I'm serious. I think this is great, a bit of handbags is wonderful. I actually agree Phil Rising no this on. Better to do it like this than do it on a bike. And the fans love it, look at us all, still going on nearly 48 hours later!

Is the timing right. You do have to wonder that the ensuing media pantomime was orchestrated, maybe it all has been? I'd love to see the tickets sales prior to Tuesday and now and the eventual number come the day :D

• Like 1

Only about 7,000 posts to go to catch up with the Darcy Ward thread :party:

• Like 1

And send mrP on a space awareness course.

30 years ago lot of things happened that are not deemed suitable today.Some might be bad,but personally I think a hell of a lot of progress has been made.The recent vote on gay marriage would have been unthinkable 30 years ago in Ireland.Thank god we have progressed enough that the backward ideas of the catholic church don't hold sway over the masses any more.If that is what people call pc,then I am happy to be called pc

For me if Greg was fined and made to do some work in the community against violence,maybe with children then that would be a decent idea

Send him on an anger management course? Edited by Jacques

Fair enough, when you said "hand out a punishment that fits the incident", I assumed you meant a ban.

Not everybody thinks it's a 'pathetic' statement. Greg was simply speaking his mind about the actions of a dirty rider who continually reoffends.

g.

I agree it's not pathetic statement and the thread is reaching pathetic levels where various posters are falling back on exaggeration and hyperbole to try to make their point, plus dressing up,opinion as fact

To say the statement was "pathetic " is , IMO a gross exaggeration. I do think it was ill, considered though. The more you say about these things in this sort of situation the more material you give the critics to pull apart. It would have been far better to have done a two line statement simply saying something like " I apologise to,all fans and sponsors, and accept that it was not the behaviour nor expects of a World Champion" the leave it that. That way he gets the apology across without inflaming the debate and he gets respect at least and give him a certain amount of honour.

However once I the decision is taken to put all the other things in the public domain the statement is fair enough but it just means his supporters agree and detractors will continue to find fault. That doesn't make it pathetic, it just doesn't take things any further.

CHR's post is about right. We all blow our cool at times, especially on the sports field. That doesn't make it right but it makes it understandable. A few years ago I remember Matej Zagar throwing a punch at Piotr Swiderski during a race and that could have had fatal consequences and he was fined £300, so Gregs find seems pretty much par for the course.

It will be like the Bruce Penall / Kenny Carter world final brouhaha in the early 80's, people are still arguing about that but one side still can't convince the other who was to blame. This I think will be the same. Talking in exaggerated terms about statements being pathetic when they are probably at best I'll-advised is not going to win anybody over.

Send him on an anger management course?

Think Lindbäck should go on that one :rofl: Oh,it said "abeer" management course a second ago!!!!

Edited by iris123

I dont think what happened could be classed as a punch up. To me it looked like Greg rugby tackled Nicki quite high up. Even in the sport of rugby I am not sure you wouldnt cop a ban for a tackle that high. Prehaps an Egg chasing fan could tell us. Someone even suggested to me it was more like an WWF Closeline attack.

Edited by semion

A secondary dilema is that NP being the token villain and a brilliant rider, is therefore box office.

GH is one of the worlds least exciting riders and therefore anti-box ofice.

Speedway needs the Pedersen's much more than the Hancock's.

Incidentally, what's to stop NP going to the police and bringing an assault charge against GH?

Think Lindbäck should go on that one :rofl: Oh,it said "abeer" management course a second ago!!!!

I'm off the scale with my typos today. Soz :D

• Like 1

Incidentally, what's to stop NP going to the police and bringing an assault charge against GH?

Loss of face when laughed at for being a wuss?

• Like 2

A secondary dilema is that NP being the token villain and a brilliant rider, is therefore box office.

GH is one of the worlds least exciting riders and therefore anti-box ofice.

Speedway needs the Pedersen's much more than the Hancock's.

I doubt he ever would, he'd sooner leave that to the Monster cry babies!

• Like 1