British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
crescent girl

Berwick V Plymouth 20/6/15

boo hoo, i have bigger contacts than you, use them then, surely the saying, 'if you dont ask you dont get' comes into play with sponsorship

I am sure if anyone has contacts that would help the club, whether they tell us or not, they would use them. But your point is a good one, if you don't make those call, send those emails, or knock on doors you wont find out. The club produced a brochure a couple or three years ago when they were looking for a team sponsor, I would hope they are still doing that kind of thing.

Apart from lenses I have no contacts. :D

Edited by screm
  • Like 1

boo hoo, i have bigger contacts than you, use them then, surely the saying, 'if you dont ask you dont get' comes into play with sponsorship

It's not a case of that. I am merely try to put a bit of perspective into this.

It isn't just a case of knocking on doors, and - of course - everyone involved who has contacts will have asked the question.

It is a very difficult thing to obtain at the moment. There have been several brochure and pitching materials produced in the past.

With sponsorship you really need an in through someone with an established relationship. Even then, as I have mentioned, the sport needs to have a fit with the target demographic.

That is a tough one for speedway to match up with, unfortunately.

Just so you folks aren't getting the idea that I think I have some multitude of business contacts. The one I am referring to owns two global booze brands. Yes, I did put the question to their European Brand Director, but their 12 month strategy is based on the aspirational/lifestyle angle. So, as you can imagine, speedway isn't exactly the right fit for their brands.

If they were focused on motorsports, it would have been a different situation and they could have allocated a small part of their budget towards speedway. If you don't ask, though.

I notice that Perrymans are sponsoring the Under 19 meeting, which is fantastic. Clearly people within the club are working on these things, contrary to all the expert belief on here...

It's not a case of that. I am merely try to put a bit of perspective into this.

It isn't just a case of knocking on doors, and - of course - everyone involved who has contacts will have asked the question.

It is a very difficult thing to obtain at the moment. There have been several brochure and pitching materials produced in the past.

With sponsorship you really need an in through someone with an established relationship. Even then, as I have mentioned, the sport needs to have a fit with the target demographic.

That is a tough one for speedway to match up with, unfortunately.

Just so you folks aren't getting the idea that I think I have some multitude of business contacts. The one I am referring to owns two global booze brands. Yes, I did put the question to their European Brand Director, but their 12 month strategy is based on the aspirational/lifestyle angle. So, as you can imagine, speedway isn't exactly the right fit for their brands.

If they were focused on motorsports, it would have been a different situation and they could have allocated a small part of their budget towards speedway. If you don't ask, though.

I notice that Perrymans are sponsoring the Under 19 meeting, which is fantastic. Clearly people within the club are working on these things, contrary to all the expert belief on here...

My point about knocking on doors was more aimed at Berwick than anything else, Berwick is a small town with lots of small businesses, you may need to go to them rather than they come to you. To be fair to the club they look to have already done that with their group of associate sponsors.

You mention Perryman`s buses, its great they have come forward to sponsor a meeting later in the season, I think they may be their first sponsorship, I followed one of their buses through the town today and on the back they were carrying an advert for the Kings Arms Hotel and their restaurants. Maybe the club could look in that direction to take Berwick Speedway to lots of people.

Edited by screm
  • Like 2

Anybody underestimating Plymouth tomorrow night only need look at their K O Cup win over Peterborough. The latest in a line of unexpected results in the past couple of weeks.

My point about knocking on doors was more aimed at Berwick than anything else, Berwick is a small town with lots of small businesses, you may need to go to them rather than they come to you. To be fair to the club they look to have already done that with their group of associate sponsors.

You mention Perryman`s buses, its great they have come forward to sponsor a meeting later in the season, I think they may be their first sponsorship, I followed one of their buses through the town today and on the back they were carrying an advert for the Kings Arms Hotel and their restaurants. Maybe the club could look in that direction to take Berwick Speedway to lots of people.

already mentioned this to the promotion got prices s etc for cost of advertising. Received email from club saying it was definitely worth considering.
  • Like 4

Anybody underestimating Plymouth tomorrow night only need look at their K O Cup win over Peterborough. The latest in a line of unexpected results in the past couple of weeks.

to be honest,I think an away win is on the cards looking at their line up.

What is the visa situation for our new rider Garcia ?.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

already mentioned this to the promotion got prices s etc for cost of advertising. Received email from club saying it was definitely worth considering.

Maybe they could look at taxi`s in Berwick to, maybe they get some advertising space there to.

What is the visa situation for our new rider Garcia ?.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Being Argentinian, he will almost certainly be the holder of an Italian licence, so no work permit required.

Being Argentinian, he will almost certainly be the holder of an Italian licence, so no work permit required.

Thanks for that. ;)

• Like 1

Maybe they could look at taxi`s in Berwick to, maybe they get some advertising space there to.

What are the KPIs like for that?

Purely out of interest, I have not idea what they are for this type of advertising.

What are the KPIs like for that?

Purely out of interest, I have not idea what they are for this type of advertising.

No idea, though surely the more people see Berwick`s advertisement as possible the more likelihood of them coming to the speedway, especially now in summertime with school holidays just round the corner. Looks like we are back to the speculate to accumulate argument.

No idea, though surely the more people see Berwick`s advertisement as possible the more likelihood of them coming to the speedway, especially now in summertime with school holidays just round the corner. Looks like we are back to the speculate to accumulate argument.

Advertising very often results in just being money down the pan, that's why I ask.

It's important to know the effectiveness to at least attempt to calculate any ROI.

Only the big brands really benefit from it, and that is because they have massive budgets and ram themselves down out throats via multiple high-profile routes.

Posters and a stall on the market are much safer bets, only in my opinion of course.

I know banners are very cost effective and I've seen that worked well by the speedway too.

Advertising very often results in just being money down the pan, that's why I ask.

It's important to know the effectiveness to at least attempt to calculate any ROI.

Only the big brands really benefit from it, and that is because they have massive budgets and ram themselves down out throats via multiple high-profile routes.

Posters and a stall on the market are much safer bets, only in my opinion of course.

I know banners are very cost effective and I've seen that worked well by the speedway too.

Agree, throwing money at the wrong kind, or the wrong places for advertising is silly, especially for the likes of Berwick.

Obviously good idea with posters, maybe the club could look at doing some poster specifically for the Polish shops we have around the Borders. Doesn't have to be anything different to the one they produce now, but just have it in Polish language. Should be reasonably cheap to, and with a bit of luck would pay for itself if we get one or two of the speedway daft Polish along.