British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
robert72

Leicester V Swindon Mon 29th June Sky Match

It seems pretty clear Sky don't like filming at Leicester. Is it the Track or Promotion ?

Probably lack of space if the amount of vehicles and gear they brought to Peterborough last week is anything to go by.

So are Swindon just fodder,as they looked last night (all season) or is it more points lowering for Darcy?

At least we know it's one of them. :P:

It's good to see Leicester winning again with guests doing the business for them.

Intersting stat. Guest riders made up 29% of Lions and scored 27% of points. on a comparative note. Walasek's average for home meetings is 9+ and Lambert only scored 6. I am pretty sure Auty would have scored close to the same as Wilko (who rode very well) given the opposition. so whilst agreeing the guests had a part to play Swindon on this occasion were indeed just fodder. Howver, I think some folk on here would have prefered the Lions to have let the Robins pass them to make the meeting more interesting!!

Racing was not great but to a certain extent it's not going to he helped with Swindon carrying riders like last night.

All the team were good last night and praise to Robert Lambert and Carl Wilkinson for their efforts.

I would like to pay attention to the efforts and promotion of the evening. I genuinely am struggling to remember a time when such an effort went into the promoting of a meeting. Reduced prices, beer and food vouchers and air horns given away produced a good atmosphere and a big crowd.

I would say that possibly 50% more than a normal meeting. Not everyone was on a reduced price but it goes to show, promote the product and reduce price and people will turn out.

Would love to see what would happen if the same prices were implimented on a Saturday evening. With extra programmes and other bits revenue may be similar?? Let alone provide a great vibe and atmosphere.

Having witnessed the potential last night...on a work and school night it must be worth an experiment. If it produces a small loss then you have at least tried and it may show an alternative at £10-£12 may actually work.

Anyway apart from the massive queues....well done DH and the promotion for a good effort last night.

7 Newbies to speedaway stood next to our group last night and age range looked around 20 - 25. All said they loved the night, couldn't believe the riders rode without brakes and thought it great money for 15 quid. i.e. for admission and cost of food and drink & a shared programme which we helped them to complete. said they would come again but not every week if it was £17 ...a lesson worth considering?

Robert72- Sky do not mind filming at Leicester but the matches that can be shown are quite limited due to the lighting not being up to the correct levels. In fact they are made very welcome unlike some places

So limited to just showing matches when the evenings are the longest if Leicester had a good season and made the playoffs in September/ October then extra lighting would need to be be hired in for the occasion even last night in the last few heats the engineering team were struggling with the light and had to use some digital image stabilisers to keep pics looking ok.

Don't be too surprised though if you see another meeting from Leicester in a few weeks though as another fixture is looking like another good possible TV match

The racing last night wasn't great. However, to read all the comments you would think that every other track in the country produces the finest racing the world has ever seen. Generally speaking, week in week out, you are lucky to see a decent race once in a blue moon at any track in the uk.

Good meetings are very much few and far between. In fact, I don't think I have seen what you could term as a genuinely great speedway meeting for a very long time.............Anywhere.

I saw 13 last week at Somerset and the other 2 were better than any last night.honest

Don't be too surprised though if you see another meeting from Leicester in a few weeks though as another fixture is looking like another good possible TV match

Hope it's not Swindon again as they're back for Leicester's next home meeting in 12 days time. :lol: Who on earth sorts out the fixture list? Surely it is possible to plan things so as not have the same team in opposition 2 weeks running?

• Like 1

I must say that the last few meetings of last season and quite a few this season have seen far better racing than we saw last night. I think most of the fault lay with the lack luster display from Swindon. It was a mirror image of last seasons meeting when sky where there and again against Swindon. With Rosco looking much how he was last night with his bottom jaw dragging along the ground,

They wanted him to come and speak to the fans at the end of the meeting, but the whole team had packed up and gone.

When he is on the losing end of things he is a real moody sod.

The racing last night wasn't great. However, to read all the comments you would think that every other track in the country produces the finest racing the world has ever seen. Generally speaking, week in week out, you are lucky to see a decent race once in a blue moon at any track in the uk.

Good meetings are very much few and far between. In fact, I don't think I have seen what you could term as a genuinely great speedway meeting for a very long time.............Anywhere.

Losers always whine.......the easiest thing is to point the finger at the track......you are right, I go to between 2 and 4 meetings every week and 75% of the races are first from the gate,same as it ever was....by the way I thought Swindon were absolute pants nearly on par with Wolves who are the worst team in the league by a country mile.

Losers always whine.......the easiest thing is to point the finger at the track......you are right, I go to between 2 and 4 meetings every week and 75% of the races are first from the gate,same as it ever was....by the way I thought Swindon were absolute pants nearly on par with Wolves who are the worst team in the league by a country mile.

When did Rosco moan & also when has it been normal for the away team manager to go on the Mike after a meeting?.

I'd imagine he just wanted to get home but if he did talk on the mike in the past when Swindon won at Leicester you do have a point.

Leicester have been pants at Swindon in the past so no real point there & will finish below them AGAIN in the league.

Edited by Crazy robin
  • Like 1

I spoke with one of the track men who said they had both been told how the track should be prepared before racing. Could it be that Glyn only came out when told to do so.[/quot

Edited by tsc1
  • Like 1

Pleased for Leicester last night, big crowd on a fine summers evening just proves if the weather's good and the admission fee is right the fans will come.

Thought the Robins were disappointing and the Miedzinski appearance was just out of convenience so that Rosco can re-declare, AM just wasn't interested and pulled up very early in each race,

Praise for Zengi and Charlie Wright who both gave their all and scored decent points. It is becoming a trait with Batch that if he misses the gate he loses interest - unlike Nick Morris who always sticks at it.Troy hasn't been right this season, maybe the accident he had against Poole at the beginning of the season has knocked his confidence? I'm a fan of Kyle Howarth but he is struggling at the moment and seems short of power.

Work for Rosco to do if the Robins are going to make the top 4 this year.

• Like 1

Intersting stat. Guest riders made up 29% of Lions and scored 27% of points. on a comparative note. Walasek's average for home meetings is 9+ and Lambert only scored 6. I am pretty sure Auty would have scored close to the same as Wilko (who rode very well) given the opposition. so whilst agreeing the guests had a part to play Swindon on this occasion were indeed just fodder. Howver, I think some folk on here would have prefered the Lions to have let the Robins pass them to make the meeting more interesting!!

The guests they used against Wolves certainly made them stronger, seems a coincidence the more guests the better the result!

Difficult to know if Leicester were that much better or Swindon much poorer/average dropping.

The guests they used against Wolves certainly made them stronger, seems a coincidence the more guests the better the result!

Difficult to know if Leicester were that much better or Swindon much poorer/average dropping.

We'll find out Thursday

• Like 1

We'll find out Thursday

Be embarrassing to lose to us, hopefully you can try for once.

Is this a fact or something you think happens?.

If it's fact, do you know the reason behind it?

Think I can help you there.

EL promoters agreed a contract in about 2009 which effectively handed control of track preparation to GSI for all Sky broadcast matches. This was part of the overall contract covering such matches, and has remained in effect even after the expiry of the more substantial sponsorship deal with Sky a couple of years ago.

Last season the BP track for the live match was prepared in such a way that made it dangerous in my opinion - in an effort to produce incidents. This year it was probably not quite as dangerous but still doctored so as to produce incidents, which it did and it was again fortunate that no rider was seriously injured. I am sure that if Glyn Taylor had been in full control of prep, riders would not have been slithering and bouncing around looking like novices at times!