British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
PhilK

Mildenhall 40th Anniversary Palmer Trophy 28th June

Get down to West Row tomorrow afternoon for a feast of Speedway = GATES OPEN AT 1.30PM

Mildenhall Speedway 40th Anniversary Palmer Trophy Line - Up Confirmed

With Summer now upon us the Fen Tigers management are hoping that Sunday 28th June will be a scorcher both on and off the track as they celebrate the clubs 40th Anniversary with the running of ‘The Palmer Trophy incorporating the Bernie Klatt Memorial Trophy’. The line-up for this massive event has now all but been confirmed as -

1. Tom Stokes - Kings Lynn
2. Matt Williamson - Cradley
3. Connor Mountain - Mildenhall
4. Rob Branford - Rye House
5. Dan Halsey - Mildenhall
6. Kyle Hughes - Rye House
7. Connor Coles - Mildenhall
8. Luke Chessell - Rye House
9. Tom Bacon - Mildenhall
10. Arron Mogridge - Cradley
11. Ben Morley - Kent
12. Jack Kingston - Mildenhall
13. Jon Armstrong - Stoke
14. Joe Jacobs - Unattached
15. Danny Ayres - Kent
16. Darryl Ritchings - Coventry
Meeting reserve - TBC

In addition the Bernie Klatt Memorial Trophy will be run over four races and will feature four of the current crop of exciting up and coming 250 cc speedway riders featuring in this year’s British Youth Championship -

1. Jordan Jenkins
2. Luke Woodhull
3. Ben Woodhull
4. Kean Dicken

As well as on the track action promoter Kevin Jolly is confident of having a wide selection of ex-riders from across the years including the 1979 National League Championship side of Captain (and current Team Manager) Robert Henry, Ray Bales, Mick Hines, Melvyn Taylor, Mike Spink, Mick Bates, Richard Knight plus Team Manager Ron Bagley! Other names from the past like Fred Mills, Paul Clipstone. John Gibbons, Carl Baldwin will be in attendance mixing with more recent names such as Ritchie Hawkins, Shaun Tacey, Cameron Heeps and Stefan Nielsen.

Club promoter Kevin Jolly was relieved that the clubs big day was nearly here - he said -

“Obviously I was disappointed that after all the hard work put in by everyone, the weather beat us back in March, but having said that I feel it may have been a blessing as with summer upon us now hopefully it will be a cracking day weather wise with plenty of fun and excitement both on and off the track. I know some people will be a little disappointed that we don’t have the three Premier League riders now but with injuries and so many commitments elsewhere now the season is in full swing I fully understand their position and to be honest I do feel the line-up now is more competitive overall than originally and I certainly wouldn’t like to pick a winner.

I am working hard on confirming all the guests and there will be further announcements on our website, in the local press and on our social media sites over the coming days. I am aiming for 50+ guests with Mildenhall or strong Suffolk Speedway links and with the likes of Colin Cook, Richard Hellsen, Michael Lee, Chris and John Louis, Dave Jessup, Tony Davey, and many more hoping to be in attendance hopefully plenty of supporters from Ipswich and Kings Lynn will come across to Mildenhall to help us celebrate our big day. There is no increase in entry price and I want everyone to have a day to remember!

We have changed the Bernie Klatt Memorial Trophy to feature some of the up and coming crop as I felt it better showcased all that Bernie was about, he always loved seeing young riders take up the sport and was always there to encourage them and this is I feel the perfect way to remember Bernie!

I am very grateful to Greg and Derek Palmer for firstly offering to be main sponsors of our 40th Anniversary meeting and secondly to Greg for his fine efforts introducing other new and returning sponsors to the club, Bussens & Parkin Limited, Thurlow Nunn Standen Ltd, G.B Marketing-UK Ltd, Ivan Smith, J&P Haylock Farms, The House & Property Company, HOFICE, Century Services (UK) Ltd, Freedom Recycling Ltd, Gascoynes Chartered Accountants, C&H Flooring Limited, Openfield, A B Electricals and Trendsetters Barbers & Hairdressers. Also to all the heat sponsors and supporters who have purchased race jackets, as always the Mildenhall fans have been incredibly supportive and generous and my only wish now is that everyone has a great day’

The gates will be open from 1.30pm, with Ex-Riders being announced to the crowd from 3pm, and the meeting due to start at 3.30pm. Please arrive early to avoid the crowds!

Normal prices will apply: Adults £12, Concessions (60+) & Students £11, Junior (15 and under accompanied by an adult) Free, Car Park Free. A Special 20 page 40th Anniversary Souvenir Programme has been produced for £2.50.

Guest list includes - ROBERT HENRY (Team Captain)
MICK BATES
MEL TAYLOR
MIKE SPINK
RICHARD KNIGHT
RAY BALES
MICK HINES
RON BAGLEY (Team Manager)

Also already confirmed are -

CARL BALDWIN
COLIN BARBER
DAVID JESSUP
FREDDIE MILLS
MARK BILNER
SHAUN TACEY
MICHAEL LEE
CHRIS AND JOHN LOUIS
MARK THOMPSON
PAUL DAVEY
TREVOR JONES
ANDY HINES
ANDY WARNE
ERIC MONAGHAN
MARK BALDWIN
RICHARD GREEN
MARK LORAM
KELVIN MULLARKEY
CARL BLACKBIRD
COLIN COOK
GARY REID
IAN FARNHAM
JOHN GIBBONS
MICHAEL COLES
PAUL CLIPSTONE
TED HOWGEGO
TREVOR HEDGE
TONY DAVEY
ROB PARISH
NEIL LEEKS
WALLY HILL
TERRY BETTS
PAUL GILBERT
BARRIE EVANS
OLLE NYGREN

Is there anyone going to this meeting who would be able to text updates to the Updates site? If so, could you please send me a private message including your mobile number.

Thanks

There's some doubt at the moment with the track. Twitter updates from some there say it looks more like a ploughing field and riders are voicing their concerns. 😞

Taken from the person doing Speedway updates:

Riding Order to be Confirmed.

Had to pinch myself and check I hadn't gone motocross track by mistake! Iv'e never seen it so bad.

Does anybody know if it's rained?

Edited by mdmc82

Seems a common thing at mildenhall lately?

Common thing? Behave yourself.i guess as you're a regular every week you'd know what it's like :)

I don't really know what they could have done today.Absolutely chucked it down this morning.Add the rain to the fact we had stocks there last night aswell.It did resemble a ploughed field when I got to the track at 1,no denying that.

They worked their backsides off to sort it.Once they had scraped the top off the track was absolutely fine.No problem at all.

Next time we will order the rain for another time hey :)

Congratulation to Coventry asset Joe Jacobs on winning the meeting 👍🏻

Common thing? Behave yourself.i guess as you're a regular every week you'd know what it's like :)

I don't really know what they could have done today.Absolutely chucked it down this morning.Add the rain to the fact we had stocks there last night aswell.It did resemble a ploughed field when I got to the track at 1,no denying that.

They worked their backsides off to sort it.Once they had scraped the top off the track was absolutely fine.No problem at all.

Next time we will order the rain for another time hey :)

Surely the track should have been bladed long before it was......shouldn't it? Seeing two tractors riding round in tandem for nearly an hour, was obvious to all, that was the correct way of going about things.

Luckily once they did get their act together, the track actually produced some reasonably good racing, so well done to all for that.

The idea I believe was to leave it a bit to dry out and then scrape off.Once again though.Missing the track man doesn't help things unfortunately

The track should have been bladed off at least 2 hours earlier than it was ...Only pressure from the riders and others with a few brain cells finally got the job done..Along drawn out meeting with numourous crashes and air fence repairs ,plus a totally unneeded long interval would have done nothing to encourage any first time visitors to return .Indeed the track now devoid of dirt produced poor racing Gate 4 was a grave yard unless you had an easy heat when on it, as did Joe Jacobs who looked very sharp on his return to racing though the ref did let him get away with a couple of rollers so the meeting panned out right for him ,,,unlike Ben Morley who had two gate fours against stiff opposition where he dropped a couple of points but produced a great ride in heat 20 to make the final where again Joe had choice of gates which proved vital in the final Jon Armstrong was solid all meeting,,. to also make the final,,Dan Halsey also looked good too,... a fall wrecking his final chances and Kyle Hughes and Connor Coles rode well ,,,I suppose to their credit they did eventually get the meeting on after the morning rain,,But on my visits this year the track has been poor...

The track should have been bladed off at least 2 hours earlier than it was ...Only pressure from the riders and others with a few brain cells finally got the job done..Along drawn out meeting with numourous crashes and air fence repairs ,plus a totally unneeded long interval would have done nothing to encourage any first time visitors to return .Indeed the track now devoid of dirt produced poor racing Gate 4 was a grave yard unless you had an easy heat when on it, as did Joe Jacobs who looked very sharp on his return to racing though the ref did let him get away with a couple of rollers so the meeting panned out right for him ,,,unlike Ben Morley who had two gate fours against stiff opposition where he dropped a couple of points but produced a great ride in heat 20 to make the final where again Joe had choice of gates which proved vital in the final Jon Armstrong was solid all meeting,,. to also make the final,,Dan Halsey also looked good too,... a fall wrecking his final chances and Kyle Hughes and Connor Coles rode well ,,,I suppose to their credit they did eventually get the meeting on after the morning rain,,But on my visits this year the track has been poor...

Bring back Huggy..............HUGGY, HUGGY, HUGGY, ---------HOYE,HOYE,HOYE,

Decent meeting once it got going IMO. Jacobs, Morley, Armstrong & Halsey were all superb. Special mentions also to Rob Shuttleworth & Josh Bailey who I thought competed exceptionally well considering the competition and were rewarded with race wins. Stinkers of the day went the way of Jack Kingston who should have been more imposing on his home track and the chaotic Danny Ayres although he provided plenty of entertainment.

Despite the lengthy starting delay the gap was at least filled with the blast from the past riders although the mid meeting interval seemed excessive and unnecessary?

All in all a long but enjoyable day, race of the day definitely Jolly vs Henry (two biggest cheers: Henry passing Jolly, Henry falling on the next bend).

Is there any news on Luke "slugger" Chessell after his nasty looking tumble?

Decent meeting once it got going IMO. Jacobs, Morley, Armstrong & Halsey were all superb. Special mentions also to Rob Shuttleworth & Josh Bailey who I thought competed exceptionally well considering the competition and were rewarded with race wins. Stinkers of the day went the way of Jack Kingston who should have been more imposing on his home track and the chaotic Danny Ayres although he provided plenty of entertainment.

Despite the lengthy starting delay the gap was at least filled with the blast from the past riders although the mid meeting interval seemed excessive and unnecessary?

All in all a long but enjoyable day, race of the day definitely Jolly vs Henry (two biggest cheers: Henry passing Jolly, Henry falling on the next bend).

Is there any news on Luke "slugger" Chessell after his nasty looking tumble?

Slugger's shoulder has been popped back in place and should be fit for the next Raiders meeting on the 11th of July :-) Edited by Rachell
  • Like 2