British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
crescent girl

Berwick V Peterborough (on Sky) Wed, July 8th

Berwick are a good team but so are Peterborough so I am hoping for a close match and a good advertisement for Premier League Speedway. All the posts and comments about rider availability (or more accurately unavailability) I understand but from my experience this is pretty much the norm for many PL teams throughout the season. A bit extreme for Panthers to loose three very good riders for this meeting but "that's life" as the French would say. The two named replacements however, are also good riders. I have never been to Berwick and understand it is not an easy track to pass on. Gating will therefore be especially important which of late has not been one of Peterborough's strengths (passing has) so it will be interesting to see what happens.

• Like 1

I don't think the casual fan gives a stuff who's in the line ups as long as it's a good meeting with loads of close racing.

The only people bothered will be fans of the teams participating

Edited by Shads
  • Like 3

It's an entertainment not a sport.

That's all folks need to know / remember.

It's an entertainment not a sport.

That's all folks need to know / remember.

It's both

• Like 1

I don't think the casual fan gives a stuff who's in the line ups as long as it's a good meeting with loads of close racing.

The only people bothered will be fans of the teams participating

Just reading about Scunthorpe's problems leads me to think that this sort of thinking (surprisingly liked, or perhaps not, by the northern oracle) is partly why speedway's in a mess. Just put any old meeting on and cross your fingers, it might work! That's not a go at Berwick or Scunthorpe, more at the because it's there brigade!

Edited by Crump99
  • Like 1

Just reading about Scunthorpe's problems leads me to think that this sort of thinking (surprisingly liked, or perhaps not, by the northern oracle) is partly why speedway's in a mess. Just put any old meeting on and cross your fingers, it might work! That's not a go at Berwick or Scunthorpe, more at the because it's there brigade!

Like it or not that's the way it is. You can't stop riders getting injured and with the amount of foreign riders in the PL you're gonna get fixture clashes with their home country club sides.

When I first attended speedway in the mid 80's there were only Commonwealth riders allowed in the second tier. My club, thanks to Ronnie Russell, changed that with the signings of Jens Rasmussen and Peter Schroek. It probably would've happened at sometime anyway,

In those days riders used to have one bike, usually transported on the back of their cars, occasionally on a trailer. Speedway was a lot less inexpensive for them, meaning there were more British riders to go around. There are nowhere near enough of the ability needed to make it a spectacle these days.

Edited by Shads
  • Like 3

Just commenting on a couple of other posts (I hope they don't mind) but I think Speedway is both a competitive sport and entertainment. Winning a meeting matters to the supporters of the participating teams and riders and therefore I of course want my respective EL and PL teams Leicester Lions and Peterborough Panthers respectively to win with entertainment value being secondary. However,attending many other meetings around the midlands it doesn't matter to me which team wins just so long as I see my speedway heroes and the racing is good (entertaining).

Changing the point a little, I know Niki Pederson is viewed by many as a pantomime villain as evidenced by his being soundly booed at the GP but he does provide huge entertainment value as well as being a great rider.In my view the sport needs characters like him as well as gentlemen like Greg, battlers like Chris Harris and the super speedsters like Tai, NKI, Janowski (yes I know he had a bad day on Saturday) and Chris Holder.

Just passed big Sky trucks heading to Shielfield. Scaffolders already there?

Getting excited, even if there's been previous televised matches.

• Like 1

My question is, why was a Wednesday night chosen when it could have been Tuesday or Monday, knowing that Wednesday is Danish league night.

Starting to get excited about this.

I always enjoy midweek meetings, especially when they are followed by a Saturday and Sunday meeting!

:)

My question is, why was a Wednesday night chosen when it could have been Tuesday or Monday, knowing that Wednesday is Danish league night.

Try asking SKY

Try asking SKY
  • Like 1

Sky have gone with Monday and Wednesday all season, so you think for 1 second they would change for a premier league meeting? Maybe if Swindon vs Poole couldn't do a Monday or Weds with the return of Darcy, they would change, but for a Berwick vs Peterborough, no chance.

Were going to get tanked sadly, but there we go, onwards and upwards to Scunny on Friday.

Sky have gone with Monday and Wednesday all season, so you think for 1 second they would change for a premier league meeting? Maybe if Swindon vs Poole couldn't do a Monday or Weds with the return of Darcy, they would change, but for a Berwick vs Peterborough, no chance.

Were going to get tanked sadly, but there we go, onwards and upwards to Scunny on Friday.

That's why I thought it was a Wednesday too.

To be honest, I don't care what night it is, pretty chuffed we are getting another Sky meeting :)

• Like 1

Dont give up just yet young soldier, I can remember a couple of seasons ago when we had our first Sky meeting, this time against Newcastle. The Diamonds turned up minus Andrew Tully and Ludvig Lindgren, who was racing in Sweden that Tuesday night, many predicted a hammering for Newcastle, the won by 8pts.