British Speedway Forum

It's not his opinion that counts though, is it?

He'll carry on making his mistakes until one day he'll wake up and realise.

Over far too many years I've heard and seen many people in speedway wonder why it doesn't get the media coverage and sponsorship that they think it deserves. Then when they are given a small example of why this is so they just shrug it off, sneer, ridicule, and carry on wondering.

Swearing isn't a big problem in workplaces, pubs and many other places - it's part of the world. However it's not acceptable in sport on p.a. systems or radio or T.V. Whether you like it or not, or ignorantly ridicule those who point this out, it is the truth and speedway has to recognise in particular that broadcasters have certain standards, whether or not you agree or share those standards.

When a TV presenter apologises for bad language I very much doubt it's because his tender feelings are hurt, but because it's his employer's policy.

Too often speedway takes the view "We'll do it our way and to hell with you". That's small-minded thinking and a huge symptom of why the sport is a shunned minority sport, viewed as a joke by many outside it.

Sometimes, whether you like it or not, you have to play by the other guy's rules.

For me the presenters just make things worse by repeatedly apologising, on Saturday Steve Brandon covered it straight away and that should have been it but then back in the studio and Suzi Perry mentions it again, no need surely. If there had been another race to follow then I'm sure Pearson would also have apologised for it.

WK said he never heard it at the time and I'm sure that was the case for plenty of viewers.

Not saying it was right for him to swear but in the grand scheme of things it was no big deal and shouldn't detract from what was an excellent GP.

• Like 1

When a TV presenter apologises for bad language I very much doubt it's because his tender feelings are hurt, but because it's his employer's policy.

And far more annoying than the robust language.

Niamh.

• Like 1

Many 'glamour' major sports event attract casual spectators. I would think that quite a percentage of those attending were not active dedicated speedway followers but people who 'like to attend the big classics." Take Wimbledon tennis as a prime example possibly? It's most like that 30per cent of the British spectators at the GP NEVER visit their local speedway track and have no idea of what is happening in it at domestic level.

Yes there will always be casual supporters, but most sports like to arrange their premier event to be held at a FULL stadium, not a half-full one. About time speedway sorted out its aspirations. The problem is that many of us have still got that 1970's soundbyte in our heads that speedway is the second biggest spectator sport in the country. It might have been when we first heard it as kids but it no longers applies today, and we need to get realistic. The SGP needs to be in a stadium that can be filled, and if that means downsizing to a smaller venue then so be it.

Really enjoyed this years GP, thought the racing was top notch. Still think they should make all tickets £40, on a first come first served basis. The touts were trying to sell me 2 under 16 tickets for more than the cheap tickets that I purchased on the day. complete muppets !!

Just watching the meeting now on the net,but knowing the result,is this the first time there has been no Danish riders in the top 8?

All three Danes have been very disappointing this year.

When I look at the draw for each meeting I always look who has drawn numbers 1 & 9. The latter because he has the best gates later on and the former because he always comes out after each track grade and usually fades as the meeting progresses. This time however Lindback proved this theory wrong but it is most unusual for rider 1 to come out on top. Has it been done before?

No disrespect to Wales & Cardiff

However, The British GP needs to be taken to the Olympic Stadium in London for the sport to progress in the future in the UK, so it has a 60,000 capacity with retractable seating to allow a running track, unsure what would be lost capacity wise but you could end up with 40-50,000 seats being filled.

Dont knock British speedway a large percentage of the G P field this year and past years have the British leagues to thank for a major part in their development.Alot of them have ridden in Britains lower leagues to then progress into the Elite league,and then thats where the Polish leagues take an interest.Most Australian and American riders would not have been given a chance to be where they are today without the British leagues from what i can recall all of them have been given their first chance of league racing by a British club.So over the years that is alot of talented riders that the G Ps and poland could have missed out on.

From what i can see Poland on the whole seem to only want to develop young Polish/Russian etc riders.Then throw big money at the riders that other leagues have helped develope to loar them away.So i.m.o if it was down to just the Polish league the world would miss out on a hell of alot of talented riders.

I find the European females here in wales short fat and look like zelda from terrahawks

However, The British GP needs to be taken to the Olympic Stadium in London for the sport to progress in the future in the UK, so it has a 60,000 capacity with retractable seating to allow a running track, unsure what would be lost capacity wise but you could end up with 40-50,000 seats being filled.

If It rains your stuffed. Cardiff is a smaller city and much more suited for the speedway GP

• Like 3

No thanks . and I'm Pretty sure I'm not the only will tell you so . Cardiff is as much about the occasion outside the stadium as the 2 hours in it ,compared to that Hackney has nothing to offer . and in any case the Olympic stadium has been given away to a poxy football club

Dont knock British speedway a large percentage of the G P field this year and past years have the British leagues to thank for a major part in their development.Alot of them have ridden in Britains lower leagues to then progress into the Elite league,and then thats where the Polish leagues take an interest.Most Australian and American riders would not have been given a chance to be where they are today without the British leagues from what i can recall all of them have been given their first chance of league racing by a British club.So over the years that is alot of talented riders that the G Ps and poland could have missed out on.

From what i can see Poland on the whole seem to only want to develop young Polish/Russian etc riders.Then throw big money at the riders that other leagues have helped develope to loar them away.So i.m.o if it was down to just the Polish league the world would miss out on a hell of alot of talented riders.

Absocuffinglutely . we should make all Non uk riders sign a compensation clause when they first arrive . if the choose to no longer ride here but wish to continue in another country , they should compensate British speedway , First of all reimburse any transfer fees paid , and then a a large sum to pay for their training . Coventry paid £30,000 for Hancock and he just walked away without a second thought .

Edited by speedibee
  • Like 1

Congratulations to the organisers of Saturday's GP; the presentation was very slick and Ole Olsen's team produced an excellent racing surface which was reflected in the standard of racing which was the best i've seen in the 5 years i've been going to Cardiff. Pleased for Lindback he's a flamboyant character and was very quick all night.

Agree with some of the comments about the fanzone - liked the new location but the formatt is looking very tired same routine every year and badly needs freshening up.

A word about Tai; he's done a lot of good for the sport but bad language during a press conference is unprofessional and presents a bad image of the sport. That kind of behaviour can cost him and the sport sponsorship opportunities which speedway is desperate for.

I'm all for keeping the GP at Cardiff the only downside is the amount of empty seats in the stadium but please keep it out of London!

Edited by Gresham78
  • Like 1

No thanks . and I'm Pretty sure I'm not the only will tell you so . Cardiff is as much about the occasion outside the stadium as the 2 hours in it ,compared to that Hackney has nothing to offer . and in any case the Olympic stadium has been given away to a poxy football club

From a visit to the Olympics I can tell you there is loads to do around the stadium area. Plenty of hotels too unlike Cardiff. No roof in Stratford is a downside. But I agree that it would be a terrible shame to move the event from Cardiff and doubt it would happen. Why not have two GP's as in other countries. But Manchester will get first choice if we do get a 2nd GP.

Saw the GP replay last night. The racing was very good.

Edited by marky

The Olympic stadium hasn't been given away to a football club they are merely tennants for the next 100 years for X amount of days per year and thus are treated as such, London is where the big business is at and I feel that Speedway needs to be there to have a big positive impact on the sport here.

Maybe they could retain Cardiff as a European round?

One of the best GPs and people still find reason to moan. Having been around Cardiff all weekend, I still think its by far the best GP on the circuit for the fans. The stadium is bang in the city centre, the atmosphere is superb all the weekend because the majority of the fans/riders/officials congregate in the same bars and restaurants over the weekend. The stadium has a roof so we don't have to worry the weather.

League speedway is dying in this country and I think if the GP was taken away from Cardiff to London it would be fatal for the sport. Alongside the fact that Wembley and the Olympic Stadium is miles outside central London so the weekend would be poorer as a result these stadiums have no roof.

You only have to look at what happened at Gothenburg to realise how damaging one bad meeting could be, I very much doubt you would have as many fans paying hundreds of pounds to travel to one of these GPs with lack of facilities for fans and the potential of a rain off.

• Like 1

THE roof just isn't about the weather. Being able to darken the stadium in the middle of a summer's ( :party: ) day helps massively with the pre-meeting parade, fireworks, atmosphere, etc.

• Like 1