British Speedway Forum

Our hotel is a 10minutes leisurely stroll from the stadium, it's a fair price which has only gone up slightly over a few years. We provisionally book before leaving and we phone when the date is announced to confirm. They used to let us know the date before the official announcement was made on Sky the following Monday. :t::cheers:

Thanks! That's very helpful Jack.

Thanks! That's very helpful Jack.

Did you know my sister? She always called me that because she didn't agree with the name that I was given. :o:cheers:

• Like 1

It doesn't help when various companies hoover up rooms and then sell on to the public at inflated prices to make a quick buck out of fans.

You may be interested to know that we suffer from the same problem.

We actually make less than £10 a room on the prices we are quoted.

The Marriott (which we have used for 5 years) want £250 a night from us...others are similar....simply becoming a pointless exercise..we are asked to pay in full, up front...we said Thanks but no.

Even teh cheap 2 star hotels are asking stupid prices...and I think for 2017 we simply will not bother anymore.

At least Dick Turpin was honest enough to wear a mask when robbing you !!

We will be visiting from the US for the 1st time.

Planning to go to Somerset Friday night for Premier League Pairs, what other events are in the area that weekend?

Where is a good place to stay to be central for the most events?

We're thinking about renting a flat or studio around Chippenham, Bath or Bristol from thursday until monday.

What's the traffic like in Cardiff saturday? drive or take the train / bus?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Parking in Cardiff will be difficult on race day. The car parking area directed to in 2014 was the football stadium on the top (motorway side) side of Cardiff. Park car - get a special bus, was £5 each return.

I would go by train from Bristol, no doubt busy especially at end of the meeting. Cardiff Central railway station is about 100 metres forom the stadium.

Sorry cant advise on lodgings as I dont know the areas you mention very well.

We will be visiting from the US for the 1st time.

Planning to go to Somerset Friday night for Premier League Pairs, what other events are in the area that weekend?

Where is a good place to stay to be central for the most events?

We're thinking about renting a flat or studio around Chippenham, Bath or Bristol from thursday until monday.

What's the traffic like in Cardiff saturday? drive or take the train / bus?

Thanks in advance for any info.

That weekend in Cardiff is the international food and drink festival in Cardiff Bay (about 5 minutes on a bus or 10 minutes on the aquabus (thats a boat to you a me!)

Where you're looking to stay is about 25-50 miles at a guess from Somerset Speedway and Cardiff Millennium Stadium. That said, IF you can find somewhere in Cardiff you can be back in Cardiff in an hour after the speedway has finished in Somerset - allow 2-3 hours to get their due to Friday evening traffic. If you want to play it safe you can always leave earlier and head to Weston-Super-Mare which is about 20-30 minutes from Somerset Speedway - visit the legendary British seaside :D

If you decide to go by train Cardiff Central is as close as you can get to the Millenium Stadium without being in it. I often joke that I can get off the train, step into Burger King for food, strole 2 minutes to the pub, 30 second to the bookies, a minute to the ticket office for a ticket and then 2 minutes to the stadium. It's perfect. It's probably the best way to do it tbh, by all means drive and as you head into Cardiff follow the signs for the park and ride system - fine on the way in but a few years back I managed to walk home, get changed and walk back into town for a night out (I should point out I lived about a 20 minute walk form the stadium at the time) while some people were still waiting for the buses back to the park and ride - so if you do drive, I suggest not rushing back to the car if you can avoid it. Try and find somewhere to get something to eat in the centre of Cardiff (there loads of choice but being a Saturday night it all gets busy and it can help to book ahead). TBH if you're getting a train I'd also try and see if you have time to get a beer or food before you get the train as the station will be packed with others doing the same and you'll be squashed on to a train with other fans!

Lastly, enjoy. I warn you now, if you get in within 30 minutes of start time when the majority of fans have already got in as you enter the actual stadium from the walkways around the outside the noise and atmosphere is like nothing else. I've done it 15 times now and every time I get goosebumps and a huge smile.

Edited by SCB

How late do the trains to Bristol run Saturday Night?

We can arrive in Cardiff anytime Saturday, we're on vacation (oops, holiday)

If you stay in Bristol their supporters club are running a coach to Cardiff for the GP with various pickups around the city. If you stay in Bristol maybe someone from that neck of the woods is also arranging a trip to Somerset or share a car etc.

At Somerset I can highly recommend the grass banking at the exit of the 2nd bend, where cider in hand it's a cracking view.If your tall or like to wear a TopHat please stand behind me.

Take a jacket to Somerset even if it's the hottest day of the year as when the sunsets it's up there with Peterborough and Swindon as being a bit nippy. TBH I've been to ice speedway where it's warmer.

If your free on the Thursday if Swindon have a meeting maybe pop along there. If Kings Lynn are the opposition or RooBoy is guesting for one of the teams definitely go. He's the dogs testicles round there.

Edited by Triple.H.

If you stay in Bristol their supporters club are running a coach to Cardiff for the GP with various pickups around the city. If you stay in Bristol maybe someone from that neck of the woods is also arranging a trip to Somerset or share a car etc.

At Somerset I can highly recommend the grass banking at the exit of the 2nd bend, where cider in hand it's a cracking view.If your tall or like to wear a TopHat please stand behind me.

Take a jacket to Somerset even if it's the hottest day of the year as when the sunsets it's up there with Peterborough and Swindon as being a bit nippy. TBH I've been to ice speedway where it's warmer.

If your free on the Thursday if Swindon have a meeting maybe pop along there. If Kings Lynn are the opposition or RooBoy is guesting for one of the teams definitely go. He's the dogs testicles round there.

Swindon have Wolves at home on the thursday.

DONT get the supporters bus form Bristol to Cardiff. It takes twice as long as the train does, from the train station! You may as well pay less and get their quicker on the train.

It's £12.60 for the train vs £16 for the bus and the bus takes 30 minutes just picking people up in Bristol before a 45-50 minute journey to Cardiff while he train will be in Cardiff in about an hour!

Swindon have Wolves at home on the thursday.

RooBoy could still be a guest for either team, hopefully for international commitments or illness as opposed to injury. Edited by Triple.H.

You may be interested to know that we suffer from the same problem.

We actually make less than £10 a room on the prices we are quoted.

The Marriott (which we have used for 5 years) want £250 a night from us...others are similar....simply becoming a pointless exercise..we are asked to pay in full, up front...we said Thanks but no.

Even teh cheap 2 star hotels are asking stupid prices...and I think for 2017 we simply will not bother anymore.

At least Dick Turpin was honest enough to wear a mask when robbing you !!

Oh well, 2017 Cardiff speedway fans will now have to book directly with a hotel for £10 per night less than in 2016.

Need accommodation in Cardiff for the Adrian Flux British FIM Speedway Grand Prix at the Principality Stadium on July 9?

Cardiff University have a variety of rooms available, with prices starting from less than £22 per night.

Check out http://bookaccommodation.cardiff.ac.uk/Speed2016.bnb for more information.

http://www.speedwaygp.com/news/article/4787/rooms-available-at-cardiff-uni