British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mdmc82

Kent V Coventry Storm Mon 6th July

Surely George Hunter is too old to ride speedway. I'm sure Gustix remembers THE George Hunter who sadly died some years go.

Of course I remember THE GREAT George Hunter. At the same time I find this reference to him rather bizarre. As a rider, THE George Hunter was way ahead of the top end riders in the present National League.

Danno Verge - five points:

Ht 2 - fell exc

Ht 4 - third ahead of visitor George Hunter...the Rye House No.8 in as a guest rider for Coventry.

Ht 8 - second with three finishers in front of team mate Jamie Couzins

Ht 12 - third of three finishers

Ht 14 - third of three finishers

So putting it another way; he had a fall, 2 x last places (3rds), beat his Team mate (1st season rider), and a genuine 3rd place (beating the Rye House No8), which breaking it down to hard facts totals 5 points which can be, and is very misleading taken at face value. However Danno is a nice kid, perhaps to nice to be a Speedway rider.

• Like 1

Well we won 46-41 in front of a smallish crowd ,but im sure if the ref could have found some more decisions to give against the Kings he would have..Another appalling ref this time Mick Bates .. While Dan Greenwood was the quickest rider here to night and has made great strides this season, his Nicky Pedersen style boring under riders managing to knock off Ben Morley in heat 13 and then virtually flatten Danny Ayres in heat 15 ,,instead of excluding Greenwood he excludes Morley and Ayers much to the disgust of the fans ..I do not think we have had a single refs decision in our favour in the last 3 meetings...While every fan except probably one or two Coventry fans thought Ben Morley had definately won heat fifteen,he gives the verdict to Greenwood UGHHH !! Ben even did a celebration lap . Still a team wins a win i suppose and there was some good racing tonight for the long suffering fans..In the Bronze Helmet match race Greenwood comfortably beat Danny Ayers,, We could well have Jack Smith son of Andy ex top rider,,back next week as he is returning from a trip to Australia .. God knows which awfull ref we will get next week,, worst case scenario Babs Horley........

Edited by waco
  • Like 1

However Danno is a nice kid, perhaps to nice to be a Speedway rider.

They said something similar about the South African rider Keith Harvey (last racing at New Cross in 1947) when 51 years old. He had then been racing motorcycles since 1923 in South Africa and on UK speedway since 1929.

A few positives from tonight, never seen the track raked so much as tonight, they had obviously got plenty of water down early and into the base. The blue groove only appeared later on in the meeting. The meeting ran smoothly and flowed nicely.

Biggest positive for me was Jamie Couzins performance who was very much on the pace and looks a whole lot more comfortable in traffic as well. Ayres doing what he does best winning and Entertaining and was denied a 5 ride maximum by a questionable at best referees decision.I feel Young Danno looked like someone who knew his opportunity to shine was there and put himself under extra pressure, hopefully he will have a good moral boosting points haul against the danes. Shanes again just a delight to watch and scoring big again. Ben Basford noticeable improvement on last week and a challenge match next week could be the extra track time he needs. Well man probably most hard done by was Ben Morley who twice got the wrong end of the refs decisions. I got to be honest I did not have clear view of the greenwood incident but others with a clearer view are adamant that there was contact and when they gave a race win to Greenwood who did well to get close but at no point did I consider the result was in doubt and had filled in my programme. But other then those Dodgy decisions he was the perfect number one looking his classy self. Because of his higher average I actually fear if the promotion do make changes Baseby would be the one who makes way to give them points to play with. Which would be harsh as he is the perfect back up to he top 3.

• Like 1

I have just seen a photo on Facebook of two supporters standing in front of the stands. I have no idea how long before the meeting started that it was taken, but the place looked fairly empty to me.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=725607137567232&set=gm.1642457632634548&type=1&theater

As Waco says - A smallish crowd - no doubt correct.

Yet read the meeting report on Kents Website it says - the` faithful packing the Main Stand` ?????

Better go to Spec Savers !

Edited by AJ is King
  • Like 1

A few positives from tonight, never seen the track raked so much as tonight, they had obviously got plenty of water down early and into the base. The blue groove only appeared later on in the meeting. The meeting ran smoothly and flowed nicely.

Biggest positive for me was Jamie Couzins performance who was very much on the pace and looks a whole lot more comfortable in traffic as well. Ayres doing what he does best winning and Entertaining and was denied a 5 ride maximum by a questionable at best referees decision.I feel Young Danno looked like someone who knew his opportunity to shine was there and put himself under extra pressure, hopefully he will have a good moral boosting points haul against the danes. Shanes again just a delight to watch and scoring big again. Ben Basford noticeable improvement on last week and a challenge match next week could be the extra track time he needs. Well man probably most hard done by was Ben Morley who twice got the wrong end of the refs decisions. I got to be honest I did not have clear view of the greenwood incident but others with a clearer view are adamant that there was contact and when they gave a race win to Greenwood who did well to get close but at no point did I consider the result was in doubt and had filled in my programme. But other then those Dodgy decisions he was the perfect number one looking his classy self. Because of his higher average I actually fear if the promotion do make changes Baseby would be the one who makes way to give them points to play with. Which would be harsh as he is the perfect back up to he top 3.

Surely the perfect rider to replace him was Hopwood. But now there's no-one out there, as Cradley have found to replace Greaves.

Right im like a bear with the bum ache this morning but I will try and start with the positives.

Ben, Danny & Jamie were top drawer as usual. Ben doesn't seem to ever get a decision go his way at this season.

The meeting ran through at a decent pace and the fans that did attend were pretty vocal and got a win that they deserved.

Dan Greenwood despite being the villain did produce some magical moves and legitimate passes and kept the scoreline respectable.

Now for the grumps. This was the worst line up of reserves I have ever seen in a NL meeting and ht 2 a 15 year old newbie races away from the home riders to victory! Basford was a lot better than last week but that doesn't say loads and Danno was plop. What he was doing battling Jamie in ht 8 I will never grasp and threw a 3-3 away. Fortunately for Kent Halder didn't carry on where he left off and Hunter was on very line except the correct one.

I waited all night for a track grade but it never came so it just got slicker and slicker. The ref finally got a decision right with Greenwood moving at the start but called everything else wrong.

Im going to wait and see what 7 Danes 3 cups do against other teams first but I fear that I could be a 60 point mauling so might give it a miss.

As Waco says - A smallish crowd - no doubt correct.

Yet read the meeting report on Kents Website it says - the` faithful packing the Main Stand` ?????

Better go to Spec Savers !

The match report Link mentioned by AJ is King...

http://www.kentkings.co/news.php?extend.423.1

...and here's what the match report says in regard to spectators....:

"...At the half way point the homesters led by a mere two points and anxiety was again palpable among the success starved faithful packing the main grandstand...."

Edited by Guest

"...At the half way point the homesters led by a mere two points and anxiety was again palpable among the success starved faithful packing the main grandstand...."

See Gustix what I mean about the inaccurate reports that appear.

See Gustix what I mean about the inaccurate reports that appear.

I tend to agree with 'AJ is King' based on what appears to be those present and as are seen in the grandstand according to the Facebook photo.

Edited by Guest

I am out on the center green during meetings and have a panoramic view of the stand and can pretty well compare one meetings crowd numbers with another,,But it makes sense for the promotion to play up the numbers a bit..It does vary a little according to the visiter support and goes up and down a bit,,How ever i dont see a worrying trend developing as yet, and hopefully mondays win and a well run meeting,, ( ref excepted !! ) will give numbers a boost in the following weeks

• Like 2

Last night was my ninth meeting of the season at kent, and three of those have failed to go the distance. Apart from the teams performances, the curfew is the main problem at Central Park. You can't keep charging people for fifteen heats and regularly give them less. With any luck, when the Fridays start next season things will be different.

• Like 1

What time will the new curfew be on Fridays 9 or 9.30 I forget? A new curfew time is only any good if the meeting starts at the same time as it does now.

The other issue with Fridays will be endless guests / RR as loads of PL teams run on a Friday.

On that note is it time to abolish RR in the NL and insist that the Number 8's are used or re-jig the team and drop a Number 8 / unattached 3 point rider in at reserve?