British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DutchGrasstrack

2016 Sgp Swc Calendar & Info's

Is there a reason why a speedway gp couldn't be held at Wembley? Not saying it should, just asking if it could

Is there a reason why a speedway gp couldn't be held at Wembley? Not saying it should, just asking if it could

Probably too big and too expensive to rent.

Probably too big and too expensive to rent.

And of course according to Phil,London,one of the main tourist attractions in Europe and hosts of the very successful Olympics is,wait for it,not easy to get to!!!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

THE last time I looked neither Wembley nor the Olympic Stadium is in the centre of London in the manner that the Millennium is to Cardiff with its close proximity to so many bars, restaurants, hotels, etc. I am sure that is one of the many things fans love about Cardiff. Wembley would never embrace speedway as does the Millennium, there is no roof, okay, not a cast iron guarantee against a cancellation but at least weather-proof. Also, one of the many attributes of the Millennium, as was superbly illustrated by Saturday's terrific opening ceremony, it's ability to be turned into almost total darkness in the middle of summer. Cannot honestly think of one area in which Wembley would be favoured over the Millennium for speedway's showcase event.

Edited by PHILIPRISING
  • Like 2

-

Edited by f-s-p

I thought the capacity at Belle Vue was going to be around 5,000 not 25,000 ?

I may have been wide of the mark on that, I thought it was what I had read but probably not

THE last time I looked neither Wembley nor the Olympic Stadium is in the centre of London in the manner that the Millennium is to Cardiff

Neither is Friends Arena and lack of close proximity to bars and etc doesn't seem to be a problem for Målilla?

Hadn't really thought of the Olympic Stadium

The infrastructure was put in for the Olympics to get people in and out of the venue with ease though, you can get there in 5 minutes on a train from Kings Cross, would only take me 13 minutes from Kent. and there would be no shortage of hotels, also most people could, if they liked still travel home on the late train if they wished.

you would lose the pre meeting atmosphere though as people descend from all over, and I think they can do an opening ceremony

For normal meetings but they can bring in a temp stand or seating for special events, but not sure if it will be anywhere near 25000.

One other problem in not having a roof is the problem of the weather. Tonight they have another rain off, that is 50% of their meetings cancelled so far this season, who is going to risk travelling with a record like that. I know it can rain anywhere but they do seem to get a lot in that area.

Edited by A ORLOV

Re Belle Vue, cant remember exact figures quoted but I think normally 5k-6k, but temporary stands could take it to around 15k. spectators

Re Belle Vue, cant remember exact figures quoted but I think normally 5k-6k, but temporary stands could take it to around 15k. spectators

Its about that..............however I also remember reading about they were only going to sanction the use of it for the World Cup and not GP's............though whether that has changed since it was first announced I have no idea..............

RP

Neither is Friends Arena and lack of close proximity to bars and etc doesn't seem to be a problem for Målilla?

Different nationalities have different needs.

I'm fairly sure that those who come from abroad love the pre and post match conviviality at Cardiff just as they and ourselves from GB enjoy a different cultural experience when at events in other countries.

Edited by Triple.H.

WHAT'S that got to do with the Millennium or Wembley?

WHAT'S that got to do with the Millennium or Wembley?

Comparisons. Two other GP-arenas with un-central location. What's the difference compared to Wembley?